Hardware Will This Fix a RROD?

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Garchomp said:
Ok so my Xbox unringed and now i have them again.....heres why: the xbox turned on fine, the green light in the middle just didnt stop blinking. My DVD drive wouldn't open so i looked at the paper clip fix thinking that would work. When i moved the paper clip around i hit something and it made the screen on the TV go really fuzzy looking. I cut off the Xbox and cut it back on and again, I have the RRoD. I spend too much of my time to give up on this unit right now, so what the hell happened?
How bent is the board?

The more times and the more heat you use to heat the board the more it tends to warp which just worsens the original problem. You may get it working if you can get the xclamp tight enough but, I think it is probably dead.

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The board wasn't really bent when i opened up the xbox. The DVD drive was opening and closing fine when i had my first RRoD, so thats when i did the uniclamp fix and applied fresh thermal paste and all that good stuff. When i put everything back together that's when the drive stopped working and i probably messed up something doing the wonderous "Paper Clip Fix" but i still get the same error code of 0102

Also note that the Xbox Dashboard actually came up when i fixed it as well

I have again gotten rid of the RRoD by putting two q-tips to block off the fan power. I got the 2 rings and i let it cool off, again, my xbox is working, but my tray is still jammed. Anyone got a possible solution how to fix this without dissasembling my xbox again? I can't get access to the tools for a while now. Like i said i tried the paper clip and ive tried pulling the tray and then i tried tapping on the top, i even went far enought to take a butter knife to it but i just dont want to put too much pressure on the drive.

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Are you sure you were putting the paper clip in the right hole? Might sound silly but manual eject should work aslong as you put it in on the first hole on the left or top hole, depending if you have it horizontal or vertical.

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
On a hitachi you should only put it in the first hole, pressure wise you should feel a small amount of resistance after about half an inch then just apply a small bit of pressure to move the cog and open the drive

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lol butter knives aren't a good tool for opening a drive, try youtube for a video to show you how to open it or you could damage it beyond repair. Just keep trying with the paper clip until you find the sweet spot it shouldn't be too difficult.

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
lol it really is getting on my last nerve i have wiggled the paper clip so much ive used about 3 of them and still no ejecting........its really starting to work me up >.<

I cant just rip it open by pulling on it? clips arent working and im wasting a crap load of these things........

I might just get a new dvd drive and sell this old one for a part, its really working me up and nothing is working at all

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A simple drive swap wouldn't work unless you have the drive keys, just keep trying with the paper clip or find a friend who knows what they're doing. One paper clip is all you need just make sure it's straight and goes in straight or a little to the right, usually does the trick.

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
alright, should just let someone else have a go at it because obviously im doing something wrong
frown.gif

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah I thought you might have been
tongue.gif
and it shouldn't keep jamming after the manual eject so should just try and do an eject and open to make sure it's running nicely.

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If the drive is just being a pain when trying to eject you can just get used to that until you can find someone to extract your keys and swap drive, but is the xbox running fine now?

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the xbox runs perfectly now from what i can tell i havent ran it for a long period of time as my DVD drive is being a pain, but i forgot to do the initial bake-in and i got the RRoD again, so i baked it and sure enough i got the 2 lights. I let the Xbox cool down and it worked again just havent played it for a long period of time because of the DVD drive.......

Forgot to mention my DVD drive didnt read the disc i put in it said "Open Tray"

It really looks like im gonna have to open my xbox yet again and clean up the DVD drive and if it still doesnt work....well idk.......

Garchomp

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GOOD NEWS! i opened up my xbox again and opened up the dvd drive and sprayed a can of air on it, put alchohol on the lens, and put some machine oil on the gears, now it opens and closes, as long as a disc is in it! One more problem though......it wont connect to the internet using my wireless adapter......lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over