Will the canceled N64 and 64DD games be re-released exclusively for the N64 Classic Mini?

Will they re-released?

• Yes

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Not

Votes: 37 80.4%
  • Possibly

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
You're never going to see an N64 Mini. Ever.

Why?

Simple, the NES and SNES Classics were put out there to keep Nintendos brand interest high during the dead time for the Switch plus they were quick and easy money makers with a built in fan base ready for retro appeal on games that actually held up.

The 64 didn't and isn't hence won't. The early 3D gen games look like ass (see PS Classic) as they didn't hold up as well as pixel art did plus they look even worse when blown up to HD resolutions. The handhelds saw a few remakes from the catalogue as the 240p screen made them passable.

You might however see a GameBoy Mini at some point if you're lucky.

LucasM3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
A lot of the appeal of the "Classic" line of systems (and also where Sony failed) is putting the most popular games from that generation on the consoles. They sell because of the nostalgia factor, for the most part. While an exception was made for Star Fox 2, it was indeed an exception and not the rule. Collectors prefer to have things in their original state so these won't become collectors items for a long time, and they're just appealing to people who don't care about that and want to play their favorite classics on their HDTVs.

I don't think that is 100% the case. Prices have dropped after games have been re released. FF7 PS1 dropped from $100 to about $20 now. Conker's Bad Fur Day has also dropped after the release of Rare Replay.

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think that is 100% the case. Prices have dropped after games have been re released. FF7 PS1 dropped from $100 to about $20 now. Conker's Bad Fur Day has also dropped after the release of Rare Replay.
Not sure what that has to do with what I said. My point was that collectors would rather buy the cartridge than a box that emulates the ROMs.

LucasM3

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not sure what that has to do with what I said. My point was that collectors would rather buy the cartridge than a box that emulates the ROMs.

I guess but Rare Replay was also using emulation and the FF7 rereleases also emulate the original FF7 from what I understand and that has cause the price of games to drop.

You're never going to see an N64 Mini. Ever.

Why?

Simple, the NES and SNES Classics were put out there to keep Nintendos brand interest high during the dead time for the Switch plus they were quick and easy money makers with a built in fan base ready for retro appeal on games that actually held up.

The 64 didn't and isn't hence won't. The early 3D gen games look like ass (see PS Classic) as they didn't hold up as well as pixel art did plus they look even worse when blown up to HD resolutions. The handhelds saw a few remakes from the catalogue as the 240p screen made them passable.

You might however see a GameBoy Mini at some point if you're lucky.

I disagree the N64 games look better then the PS1 jaggy games of the time. What the PS1 had going for the time was prerendered graphics but those don't look good on an HD TV. So not everyone wants the original carts.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Graxer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I would think an N64 mini would be quite easy for Nintendo to release at a reasonable price. Just take Wii hardware, strip out the disc drive, WiFi and Bluetooth, add HDMI and ports for N64 controllers, create a new front-end and copy the Wii virtual console games across to it. It doesn't need to be a SBC like the NES/SNES classic or Raspberry Pi.

The only disadvantage of that approach would be low resolution menus. A slight upgrade could possibly deal with that.

Last edited by Graxer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.