Nintendo should make new games for NES, SNES, and N64 for their respective apps on the Switch

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking about this, and I really love the idea of Nintendo embracing the fact that we have official NES, SNES, and N64 players on the Switch that aren't going anywhere, and deciding to create brand new games for them. I mean I'd love for any dev to be encouraged to do the same, but I don't know how the money could really be worth it, at least if Nintendo were to release new games this way, it could lead to increases in Online subscriptions. The idea of like an NES upgraded version of Donkey Kong '94 for the Game Boy has always enticed me, especially since there was a mysterious seemingly cancelled NES game called Return of Donkey Kong, seems feasible that got turned into the Game Boy game, and if that's the case it means we missed out on a larger scale, full color, late-in-life-quality NES version of that fantastic game.

I could see an official 2 player Mario 64 sequel made for such a service, or a sequel to Super Mario World or Super Mario 3, another Zelda in the style of Link's Awakening, a sequel to Yoshi's Island, a finished version of Mother 3 for the N64, I mean the possibilities are endless. And yeah, sure they could create a new game in a similar art style utilizing the full power of the Switch, presented in full 16:9 and release those as digital titles in the eshop, and I guess I can't argue with that, but there is a great nostalgia for playing great games on these more limiting platforms, as often it seemed to be the limitations of the hardware that helped spark creativity and new and unique experiences. (Also, it would be very cool to be able to put new Nintendo games on the actual older hardware through flashcarts and the like, though I recognize that's just me being excited about an aspect of piracy here, which obviously is probably a big reason why Nintendo wouldn't likely considering doing this, it can't be hard to dump these roms in the Switch Online apps at this point.)

And Sega could totally do the same for the Genesis/Master System, not only for the Switch app, but they could revive that Genesis Classics Collection and add new games in there for the other platforms that appeared on as DLC.

squabbled

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that does sound actually nice, but it seems like if they were to go that route, it'd be like you said, just an eShop remaster utilizing the full switch hardware, or a game with a retro theme to it. i do like that idea tho!

RandomTask37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wouldn't they add it? I haven't played Mario Maker but unless Mario Bros 2 is excluded I don't get why they wouldn't add anything else new as DLC

MikaDubbz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wouldn't they add it? I haven't played Mario Maker but unless Mario Bros 2 is excluded I don't get why they wouldn't add anything else new as DLC
They could sure, but if they wanted to make the most money, they could release a brand new game with the new visual style with all sorts of specific mechanics that don't place nicely in the Mario Maker grid, and then after fans grow to like the new game, they could add a DLC expansion to Mario Maker, which of course wouldn't have all the most unique mechanics of the original game, but a few unique ones and the uniform ones across all styles (just like all of the styles). Again, by no means would this have to be a barrier at all. If anything they could have great synergy going on in such a scenario.

Reactions: RandomTask37

RandomTask37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
sounds like NSMB. But I like your idea
Post automatically merged:

They should do this like Megaman 10. Rarely and separately from that have it be a "special presentation" for the online service.

Those RareWare Conker Dev kits and Microsoft deals come to mind. Release shit like that for starters.

Reactions: MikaDubbz

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have agreed IF the games could be purchased by the customers and they'd have it in their download history, but no, they're just rentals so you'd only play as long as they'd make it available.

Remember Mario 3D-All Stars on the eShop? Oh, wait! Nintendo removed it.

ChiefReginod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Developing games in ASM would probably cost too much, but there's still a lot they could do via ROM hacks. Even little things like giving Luigi different jump physics in SMB1 could be a major selling point. It's basically free money. But of course, Nintendo would never do something so cool.

Once again, Sega does what Nintendont.

ScoopDunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is slowly going down, they only think about money and not the customers. PlayStation and Xbox are the same but I think that Nintendo is worse.
Nintendo is arguably the more successful company in the video game space because they solely rely on videogame revenue. Sony and Microdick make money in other spaces, yet Nintendo falls only a couple billion short in revenue against them. They are from failing financially and are the most successful video game company of all time. - in terms of profit only from games. But yeah they are getting greedier and greedier as the years go on. Switch online makes that clear. They drip feed us 40 year old games and charge $50 a year for dlc and “premium” systems like gba and n64. But at least the game cartridges are still collectible. You’re not just buying a disc with a download prompt. The cartridges with the full games keep them ahead of the competition imo.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is arguably the more successful company in the video game space because they solely rely on videogame revenue. Sony and Microdick make money in other spaces, yet Nintendo falls only a couple billion short in revenue against them. They are from failing financially and are the most successful video game company of all time. - in terms of profit only from games. But yeah they are getting greedier and greedier as the years go on. Switch online makes that clear. They drip feed us 40 year old games and charge $50 a year for dlc and “premium” systems like gba and n64. But at least the game cartridges are still collectible. You’re not just buying a disc with a download prompt. The cartridges with the full games keep them ahead of the competition imo.
It's collectible okay, but years later you'll probably need to rely on pirating to get the full game (game + updates + dlc).

Not really the whole package.

ScoopDunk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's collectible okay, but years later you'll probably need to rely on pirating to get the full game (game + updates + dlc).

Not really the whole package.
That’s true, but having access to the full base game is a big deal right now in 2023. When I buy an Xbox game I’m literally buying a download prompt with maybe 10gb worth of files for local install. With Nintendo you get the full game. Besides the internet does a good job preserving updates and dlc. In 10-20 years ease of access and applicability will solve any issues people may have with running different versions/dlc

Archolm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
That’s true, but having access to the full base game is a big deal right now in 2023. When I buy an Xbox game I’m literally buying a download prompt with maybe 10gb worth of files for local install. With Nintendo you get the full game.

Zelda ToTK desperately needed a 1.1 patch to be remotely playable on Switch. They dropped that a week later. And no it's not 10 GB but you need it to effectively play the game. So your point is mute here.

Besides the internet does a good job preserving updates and dlc. In 10-20 years ease of access and applicability will solve any issues people may have with running different versions/dlc

In 10-20 years we are all emulating Switch cause Nintendo just released the BodyGame 2. Although the way the internet is going that may well change as well.

I'm not a fan we can already emulate Switch. Nintendo has very deep pockets and sooner or later EU or US is gonna pass a law that's going to destroy any and all emulation.

edit: I would love a renewed pocket console from Nintendo. Purely 2D but 2DHD with some new gimmicks to try out like a gyro and motion control. Maybe a blood pressure game?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zelda ToTK desperately needed a 1.1 patch to be remotely playable on Switch. They dropped that a week later. And no it's not 10 GB but you need it to effectively play the game. So your point is mute here.

In 10-20 years we are all emulating Switch cause Nintendo just released the BodyGame 2. Although the way the internet is going that may well change as well.

I'm not a fan we can already emulate Switch. Nintendo has very deep pockets and sooner or later EU or US is gonna pass a law that's going to destroy any and all emulation.

edit: I would love a renewed pocket console from Nintendo. Purely 2D but 2DHD with some new gimmicks to try out like a gyro and motion control. Maybe a blood pressure game?
It's moot, not mute. ;)

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: luke try not to say "for instance" or "etc." in a post challenge, level impossible