Hacking Will payloads always need to be sent via USB?

Rune

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My crystal ball is broken, my guess is maybe but not soon.
What I was asking was more along the lines of "is it a case of it being possible but no one having figured out yet? or is it likely to never happen because of <insert technical reason I'm not aware of>?"

Metion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm definitely not an expert but since this is a bootroom exploit can't we get keys to sign our own software to load payloads and flash it to the nand?

JaRocker

Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
So far we've seen progress in terms of being able to get into RCM without a jig. But it seems like we still need to send payloads via the USB port, whether that's through a PC, mobile, or a dongle of some sort.

Is it going to be possible in the future to store your payloads on the microSD card like the 3DS and load them with on boot without interfering with the USB port? This seems like one of the last hurdles before we could get a seamlessly working CFW.[/QUOTE
there's already hard mods being done to boot right into your paylod https://m.imgur.com/THpL2Mp

Last edited by JaRocker,
Reactions: softwareengineer

softwareengineer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks JaRocker, fixed your quote (your closing bracket is missing ;))
there's already hard mods being done to boot right into your paylod https://m.imgur.com/THpL2Mp

Looking for something like that Rune? ^^ He flips it over to show there's nothing hiding underneath or near the usb port! What we can do is have our pcm payload injector not a dongle but a permanently soldered into the system payload injector! Until / unless a new exploit is discovered that allows a true coldboot, this I would be satisfied with.

Or as others have said in other threads, if you're on 1.0 or 3.0 - 4.1, you can boot into stock firmware and then launch an exploit (when released) to boot rcm payload without needing a dongle or anything, but it's still not coldboot since you have to boot stock to get to the exploit to boot into cfw. That's another option though, that may still be more comfortable to people than having to use a dongle all the time!

Hope that answers your question, we're working on the permanent hard mods to retire our dongles! :D (And as shown, some of us have already achieved it)

Reactions: Alex S

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What I was asking was more along the lines of "is it a case of it being possible but no one having figured out yet? or is it likely to never happen because of <insert technical reason I'm not aware of>?"

I reckon it's probably doable & I think someone has probably already done it. Nobody is releasing any new exploits until at least mariko is out and even then it will probably be after it's been patched out.

SciresM

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I should've been more clear with what I'm really asking. What I want to know is if we're stuck with using payloads via RCM mode.
Will it not be possible to permanently flash a CFW to the device that loads from cold boot just like a OFW?

cVuMVe0.png

The exploit is not part of Atmosphere, so it doesn't qualify for complete transparency. Kate has made it clear from the beginning that you won't get complete transparency.

I intend to be fully transparent about this shit, especially going forwards. At present, I'm not aware of any non-RCM means of getting code execution from coldboot. To the best of my knowledge, nobody else is, either.

Last edited by SciresM,

Don Jon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On Windows and Linux (as well as Android, I think) you need XHCI (which is USB 3.0) so deliver the payload. On Mac you can use USB 2 cables but for everything else you need 3.0, which is going to be newer and more expensive.
this is completely false and very deceiving
there are several methods that allow you to use USB 2.0
like i can think of at least 3 different methods

USB 2.0 Cables and ports are ok

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm definitely not an expert but since this is a bootroom exploit can't we get keys to sign our own software to load payloads and flash it to the nand?

No. It exploits RCM, it doesn't let you replace the bootrom & as the private keys aren't stored on the device you can't sign anything and have the bootrom accept it.

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. People are paranoid
2. I think that on Linux you need to patch something to make it work on 2.0 port. Idk how it is on windows. For some time (or still) you needed a USB 3.0.

The linux EHCI driver has a (completely reasonable!) sanity check that prevents you from sending absurdly large control messages. The FoF patch simply deletes this perfectly reasonable flow control code. FG cannot execute properly with the flow control code in place.

A similar story exists on windows boxes, where one of the USB implementations has such a sanity check.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's a case of "Nintendo took security seriously. They use layout randomization to prevent you from just poking at a magic address (or overflowing to a specific address), They use proper digital signature checking/signing, they use eFuses, etc. You have to get your foot into the door before the OS loads. FG is the only known way in on firmware greater than 5.xxx"

This means that if you want a cold booting switch, you will need FG and a dongle (Retr0id has beat me to the punch, and has his cheap chinese dongle booting his switch already), or you need to integrate a hardware modchip that does the FG injection for you. I am not going to design an internal modchip, it is not my area of expertise. However, there are a number of very small SoM's out there that could do the job quite nicely, and I see no real obstacle to seeing such things on the market besides inertia.

Retr0id's dongle (since he beat me to the punch, and I don't mind) has the benefit of being user-updatable with whatever IPL you want the injector to send.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cVuMVe0.png

I intend to be fully transparent about this shit, especially going forwards. At present, I'm not aware of any non-RCM means of getting code execution from coldboot. To the best of my knowledge, nobody else is, either.
Good info, thanks. I'd been starting to doubt my decision to update from 4.x to 5.x (which was based on misleading answers from Kate on twatter before she posted her faq, ambiguity about "doesn't need tether" and "works on 5.x" not being the same exploit), as everyone keeps saying "ooh wait for magic things that are bound to come later", but if the only thing I'm missing out on is something like a websploit to reboot from clean OS to RCM then I'm content, as I have no interest in doing that.

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
cVuMVe0.png

How about the next best thing?, booting into Atmosphere from the news webapplet on a 1.0.0 console (or anywhere else for that matter if not news applet). Basically, I'm asking if you're planning to leverage 1.0.0 fails ?. Sure they (we) could use the RCM route but it seems 1.0.0 was supposed to be the best when following the lower is better route. So, is someone cooking up something special for lower FWs or 1.0.0 with that being the lowest thats out there with retail units for some users.

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about the next best thing?, booting into Atmosphere from the news webapplet on a 1.0.0 console (or anywhere else for that matter if not news applet). Basically, I'm asking if you're planning to leverage 1.0.0 fails ?. Sure they (we) could use the RCM route but it seems 1.0.0 was supposed to be the best when following the lower is better route. So, is someone cooking up something special for lower FWs or 1.0.0 with that being the lowest thats out there with retail units for some users.

A silly question comes to mind:

Is it possible to push the individual system-default applications from an older firmware, into a newer one, using an FG paylad? Seeing as some of these bugs exist in the user applications of the switch in older firmwares, and those applications are legitimately signed by Nintendo, would it be possible to boot a custom payload using FG that downgrades *JUST* the vulnerable user applications, and not the other bits of the firmware? (EG, the checked portions in the boot chain are left completely alone, we just replace, say, the gallery app?)

If so, we could re-introduce some of the exploits using a one-time FG boot on newer firmwares.

Last edited by Wierd_w,

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The linux EHCI driver has a (completely reasonable!) sanity check that prevents you from sending absurdly large control messages. The FoF patch simply deletes this perfectly reasonable flow control code. FG cannot execute properly with the flow control code in place.

A similar story exists on windows boxes, where one of the USB implementations has such a sanity check.

There is an arbitrary limit in the Linux EHCI driver, but there doesn't appear to be an arbitrary limit in the Linux XHCI driver, MacOS drivers or libusbk on Windows.

You can remove the arbitrary limit in the Linux EHCI driver.

You don't need USB3.

What do you know about fail0verflows claim "There are actually many Boot ROM bugs, several of which have been found by multiple people."

Last edited by smf,

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an arbitrary limit in the Linux EHCI driver, but there doesn't appear to be an arbitrary limit in the Linux XHCI driver, MacOS drivers or libusbk on Windows.

You can remove the arbitrary limit in the Linux EHCI driver.

You don't need USB3.
Most devices that are of interest in getting a portable/convenient FG injector will have a USB2 controller, not a USB3 controller.

charlieb

Trophies
XP
Country
A silly question comes to mind:

Is it possible to push the individual system-default applications from an older firmware, into a newer one, using an FG paylad? Seeing as some of these bugs exist in the user applications of the switch in older firmwares, and those applications are legitimately signed by Nintendo, would it be possible to boot a custom payload using FG that downgrades *JUST* the vulnerable user applications, and not the other bits of the firmware? (EG, the checked portions in the boot chain are left completely alone, we just replace, say, the gallery app?)

If so, we could re-introduce some of the exploits using a one-time FG boot on newer firmwares.

Just a guess but I'd imagine the FW image is signed and as such you can't "inject" apps into the existing FW without breaking the signature envelope.

If as you said you're booting f-g then there is little to no point modifying an old FW because you already have total control of the system. I'm talking about getting to thate state on a 1.0.0 console without using dongles from the main dashboard; not necessarily from coldboot if thats not possible.

Last edited by charlieb,

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a guess but I'd imagine the FW image is signed and as such you can't "inject" apps into the existing FW without breaking the signature envelope.

Seems reasonable; Perhaps as a title injection then? (installed as a game, but still a signed binary?)

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Most devices that are of interest in getting a portable/convenient FG injector will have a USB2 controller, not a USB3 controller.

Yes and it will work fine, because fusee gelee works with USB 2 & does not require USB 3

Downgrading titles was done on the Wii & DSi etc, so it might be possible. Although they may have learned and signed the system applications with a per OS version key that gets revoked each time. I'm not sure why you'd want to do it though.

Last edited by smf,

Wierd_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes and it will work fine, because fusee gelee works with USB 2 & does not require USB 3

Yes I know. Just saying that on Linux, on most devices that would be of interest, you will need FoF's patch which removes the arbitrary message length check from the ehci driver, because you cannot use the xhci driver on those chips.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...