Homebrew Will 3ds ever get a 11.7/12.0

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It's likely that the 3DS will receive a few more updates.
The 360 still receives rare updates now and then and that system is almost 12 years old.

Edit: 12, the system is 11 years old.

Last edited by DinohScene,
Reactions: H1B1Esquire

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I'd say one update at most at this point...

Let's be honest, only reason for Nintendo to release more updates is to patch exploits and patch out stuff that were there (eg: MiiVerse). Considering that every known exploit that can be patched has been patched, they have no reason to release another update, unless yet another entry point shows up somehow... As for the stripping down the system and removing MiiVerse, I don't think they will do much. Until they take badges away, there won't be anything major at least.

Skeagle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One update will probably contribute to shutting down miiverse, and then maybe a few updates after that patching exploits and stuff. I personally don't see why they even try to patch exploits anymore, people are always going to find new ones.

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i actually have never used miiverse,, I don't really even know what it does, I just ignore it honestly. and yes I think there will be a few more updates

Deleted member 350372

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who knows, The Big N does still have games being pushed into 2018. Although it would be rather annoying to see new updates when they already announced that they don't plan on removing the Miiverse icon :glare:
At the same time I know Nintendo is most likely going to keep desperately trying to fight against kernel exploits, even if they can't win this war.
Also, don't forget the Nintendo Zone Application as well. The service has been long discontinued. So, basically it can be considered bloatware for some people since it has no function whatsoever besides taking up space on your NAND. I tried to delete the Nintendo Zone and the Miiverse apps via FBI (obviously B9S Luma3DS CFW) on one of my O3DS systems, the system asks me to update it, but it really is redownloading and installing the app(s) you just deleted. Also note that you cannot by normal means go online for some games like Badge Arcade or access the eShop until you update it thru System Settings. Odd thing is, on N3DS consoles, afaik, the system won't ask you to update to reinstall system titles like Streetpass Mii Plaza, or the Activity Log. Also not all the system apps can be deleted without having to reinstall it again to fully access online services. Face Raiders is one of them. All this crap I typed, is from doing it myself. Hope this provides some useful information to you guys.

D

Deleted-351540

I might have to poke around one of my Goat units to see what I can do with this information.
Although I am pretty sure someone already has done this, considering your rather frank message :P It will still be a fun thing to do on this weekend.
I look forward to seeing progress on this, considering how well you did reversing the AK2i icon. Please keep us all updated. I think you'll be modifying the Home menu though, which might impact users with future updates. Just something to keep in mind.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
No one really nows tbh

All i hope is that they end the Firmware updates with a nice round number like "13.0."

I dont want them to end on something like 6.61 like Sony did with the PSP back in the days.

D

Deleted-351540

No one really nows tbh

All i hope is that they end the Firmware updates with a nice round number like "13.0."

I dont want them to end on something like 6.61 like Sony did with the PSP back in the days.
The logical part of my brain is screaming that this is absurd, but the OCD part of my brain is overpowering it and agreeing with you so very much.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Also, don't forget the Nintendo Zone Application as well. The service has been long discontinued. So, basically it can be considered bloatware for some people since it has no function whatsoever besides taking up space on your NAND. I tried to delete the Nintendo Zone and the Miiverse apps via FBI (obviously B9S Luma3DS CFW) on one of my O3DS systems, the system asks me to update it, but it really is redownloading and installing the app(s) you just deleted. Also note that you cannot by normal means go online for some games like Badge Arcade or access the eShop until you update it thru System Settings. Odd thing is, on N3DS consoles, afaik, the system won't ask you to update to reinstall system titles like Streetpass Mii Plaza, or the Activity Log. Also not all the system apps can be deleted without having to reinstall it again to fully access online services. Face Raiders is one of them. All this crap I typed, is from doing it myself. Hope this provides some useful information to you guys.
I forgot all about the Nintendo Zone, I put all of my useless apps into a folder and crammed that folder to the deepest part of my homescreen.
I look forward to seeing progress on this, considering how well you did reversing the AK2i icon. Please keep us all updated. I think you'll be modifying the Home menu though, which might impact users with future updates. Just something to keep in mind.
Don't expect too much out of this weekend. It will most likely be just researching the topic more than actually doing it, but I will keep the Temp posted if I find anything interesting.

Deleted member 350372

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot all about the Nintendo Zone, I put all of my useless apps into a folder and crammed that folder to the deepest part of my homescreen.

Don't expect too much out of this weekend. It will most likely be just researching the topic more than actually doing it, but I will keep the Temp posted if I find anything interesting.

I do the same thing as well for my useless apps as well! How coincidental! xD

Reactions: The Catboy

mike a

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so then what are the apps that are completely useless and don't do anything?? I really haven't messed around with the stock apps much except for system settings lmfao

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
3ds isn't truly obsolete until pokemon switch even then the switch isn't backwards compatible with 3ds games so im sure they are going to sell the 3ds for quite a few more years

CodyMKW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so then what are the apps that are completely useless and don't do anything?? I really haven't messed around with the stock apps much except for system settings lmfao
only one that I know is completely useless and can't be removed right now is the discontinued Nintendo Zone app and soon Miiverse next month

D

Deleted User

we probably will get some updates
when i was modding my home menu to remove the clock/step counter and annoying internet bar i noticed a theme shop message saying something like "this service has been discontinued, thanks for using it!"
i hope we get an update that removes miiverse and nintendo zone soon and one that removes the theme shop when they discontinue it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@