Hardware WiiU's CPU weaker than 360/PS3

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Except for all the times they don't bother... like how they didn't use any wii features when running gamecube games, requiring original controllers and memory cards.
Wii games are going to look like a blockfest over HDMI. We apparently won't be able to play VC games on the GamePad. When I first saw the GamePad, I thought that's what it was made for.

I honestly think that when Nintendo made the comment about Wii games not being upscaled was that they were referring to it being unable to render at any resolution than what it was originally designed for. We've already seen them handle upscaling via filters with DS games on the 3DS, and that system's ability to render is based on a 48-scanline buffer sent directly to the screen on the DS (but to a separate buffer on the 3DS to apply the scale filters), not full-screen buffers than modern GPUs are capable of. So in essence, I believe that filtering would be used on Wii games at HD resolutions. It won't be sharp as HD, but it won't be blocky either.

Is it possible to use Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic filters?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think that when Nintendo made the comment about Wii games not being upscaled was that they were referring to it being unable to render at any resolution than what it was originally designed for. We've already seen them handle upscaling via filters with DS games on the 3DS, and that system's ability to render is based on a 48-scanline buffer sent directly to the screen on the DS (but to a separate buffer on the 3DS to apply the scale filters), not full-screen buffers than modern GPUs are capable of. So in essence, I believe that filtering would be used on Wii games at HD resolutions. It won't be sharp as HD, but it won't be blocky either.

I'm not quite sure. Those filters are processed while polygons are being rendered, which is different from post-process filters that manipulating the final rendered scene after everything is done. Since Wii games would not have control over them, it would be a forced process, affecting everything that gets rendered, and may create some undesirable effects.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I'm not quite sure. Those filters are processed while polygons are being rendered, which is different from post-process filters that manipulating the final rendered scene after everything is done. Since Wii games would not have control over them, it would be a forced process, affecting everything that gets rendered, and may create some undesirable effects.

What kind of filters are used on 3DS while playing DS games?

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States

What kind of filters are used on 3DS while playing DS games?

I can only hazard a guess, but I think they are using bilinear filtering through the GPU to do it. Imagine a textured quad polygon with that filter, then replace that texture with the image buffer that DS games get rendered to.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Wii U also uses a Power8 based processor designed around the same logical architecture as the Watson computer. It's going to be better for multiple applications and it's up to developers to figure out how to program the games to utilize the most out of multicore technology. It isn't really such a bad thing to be honest, high clock speeds don't really mean a whole lot these days, you can get by on 2.4 Ghz across multiple cores on any CPU just fine. I don't think it's going to be an issue in the long run, developers have to learn how to work with new hardware all the time and it bothers me that these guys whining and complaining actually make the press as an attempt to put a negative spin on their inability to learn how to program new hardware quick enough.

hollow_83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I will just put a comment for the people that use the Wii U's power usage to determine it's performance.

Xbox 360 and it's first revision (Xenon) used 205Watts. The Xbox Slim (Corona) know maxes out at 95Watt.

The console performs the same. The difference is that the manufacturing process improved.

I hope the above lines get rid the small Wii U usage and the fear of poor performance.

hollow_83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I will just put a comment for the people that use the Wii U's power usage to determine it's performance.

Xbox 360 and it's first revision (Xenon) used 205Watts. The Xbox Slim (Corona) know maxes out at 95Watt.

The console performs the same. The difference is that the manufacturing process improved.

I hope the above lines solve the fears regarding the Wii U's power usage and poor performance.

hollow_83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

I hope the above lines get rid the small Wii U usage and the fear of poor performance.

hollow_83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece

I hope the above lines solve the fears regarding the Wii U's power usage and poor performance.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

hollow_83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Ι din't ment to multi post, the forum stopped it's connection for a few minutes and probaply posted the same post several times. (If it;s possible delete the five of the six and leave only one).

My english are also not the greatest, so i don't mean to offend anybody.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ι din't ment to multi post, the forum stopped it's connection for a few minutes and probaply posted the same post several times. (If it;s possible delete the five of the six and leave only one). My english are also not the greatest, so i don't mean to offend anybody.
I didn't mean to alarm you. Please forgive the misunderstanding; it was just my way of encouraging you to elaborate.

hollow_83

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
No problem my friend.

I meant that if the xbox with the 6 years old hardware managed to drop it's power usage from 205 WATTS to 95 and also the same goes for ps3. The first fat model needed 380Watt of juice and the new super slim is about 190Watts. Nothing changed on the performance department, they just perfected the manufacturing proccess and shrunk the cpu's and GPU's down to 45nm from the whoping 90nm.

So i don't see the reason for Wii U to have a very good hardware overall, with much less power usage. I believe it's the first and
most logical step of every hardware upgrade. More strength with less Watts.

Taking in mind the new proccess and the new technologies it doesnt surprise me.

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Clockspeeds are getting less important, as the CPU's architecture is what breaks the deal. They're always finding new ways to structure CPUs to process more efficiently.
The whole clockspeed idea eventually became a brick wall.

Reactions: 1 person

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Clock speeds have been highly misleading for 10, easily 15 years now. Just compare a Pentium 4 to a Core 2 Duo at the same clock speeds...

Another good example is a 2.4GHz Core 2 Quad against a Core i7 2670QM at 2.2GHz; the Core i7 slaughters the Core 2 Quad despite having a lower clock speed.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8