Hacking WiiU & vWii on same SD?

Rob Eich

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello all, I have a quick question I haven't seen answered anywhere else.

Can I use my vWii SD(128 GB, modded with lots of games, HB, roms, etc.) with the recent WiiU haxx?
I'd love to hear from anyone who's tried if it was successful or not reading from it's own folder in the root (likewiiu/apps/... since it differes from the vWii root folder).

If so, that would be sweet!

Rob Eich

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using a Silicon Power Elite SDXC 128GB card with no problems, but it took me a few cards to initially install all of the hacks and Homebrew (needed a 2GB card, non XC). But after it was modded then I could use the larger capacity card.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Yes you can. I think that's what we all do. vWii and Wii U applications go in different folders.
Thanks!!! Just what I wanted to hear. :toot::grog:

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm using a Silicon Power Elite SDXC 128GB card with no problems, but it took me a few cards to initially install all of the hacks and Homebrew (needed a 2GB card, non XC). But after it was modded then I could use the larger capacity card.

That's a good point - I think you do need a smaller regular SD card to install the vWii exploit itself. But once you've done that, you can copy the files over to your larger SD card.

It should work fine on the Wii too, though I'm not sure why you'd want such a large SD card on the Wii.

05sonicblue

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct, you only need the small card to run the exploit and do the initial hack. Once that's done, you can pretty much use any size (I haven't verified 512GB yet). I also use a 128GB Sandisk Micro-SD inside a Sandisk SD Adapter. I run USB Launcher, emulators, and roms from the Micro-SD. I have also launched GC games for Nintendont from it and use it on my 5.4 through GX2 (Have about 15 WiiU Games)

I'm actually running into a need to have a 1TB SD just for the vWii

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Same here. Used a 1 or 2 GB card for installation and now I'm on a 128 GB card. Working great.

Rob, did you manage to make it work? What does your folder structure look like?

Cheers!
Folder structure for what?
Everything the Wii U needs is in the subfolder SD:\wiiu
which looks like this:
Code:
SD:\wiiu\apps\homebrew_launcher\homebrew_launcher.elf
SD:\wiiu\games\Sonic hates Luigi because he's too green [XXX666]
SD:\wiiu\saves\
Only exception is the "install" folder for WUP installer which is here: SD:\install

The (v)Wii pretty much spams all over the SD root unfortunately.
This folder is for the homebrew channel and contains your USB loader(s):
Code:
SD:\apps\

AmyGrrl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm using a PNY 256GB SDXC Card in my WiiU. Formated to Fat32 with 64k Clusters. Works great for WiiU and vWii modding.

hieloco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Same here. Used a 1 or 2 GB card for installation and now I'm on a 128 GB card. Working great.

Folder structure for what?
Everything the Wii U needs is in the subfolder SD:\wiiu
which looks like this:
Code:
SD:\wiiu\apps\homebrew_launcher\homebrew_launcher.elf
SD:\wiiu\games\Sonic hates Luigi because he's too green [XXX666]
SD:\wiiu\saves\
Only exception is the "install" folder for WUP installer which is here: SD:\install

The (v)Wii pretty much spams all over the SD root unfortunately.
This folder is for the homebrew channel and contains your USB loader(s):
Code:
SD:\apps\

Thanks lordelan! This solves my question. I just wondered if there was a way to keep vWii from spamming my root directory!

D

Deleted User

I thought Wii (and vWii) can't handle SDXC, only SD/SDHC?
Only the Wii games can't. And when you install the Homebrew Channel, you need a smaller SD. The only reason to keep a small SD after that would be to use Project M or CTGP

hieloco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm using a PNY 256GB SDXC Card in my WiiU. Formated to Fat32 with 64k Clusters. Works great for WiiU and vWii modding.

Amy I just changed a Silicon Power Elite 128gb micro SDXC in Fat32 from 32kb to 64kb clusters with MiniTool Partition Wizard. I'm unsure if it slowed or speeded loading times.
What's your experience? Have you tried different cluster sizes?

hieloco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So I kept investigating on the matter. What worked best for me was 16kb clusters.
Used MiniTool Partition Wizard to make my MicroSD primary fat32 16kb.
Get about 18.5mb/s read and 9mb/s write sequential + 0.9 ms read and 4ms write accessing time using IsMyHdOk 1.24
With 64kb clusters I got about 18.5mb/s read and 6mb/s write + 1.3ms read and 33ms write.
With 32kb clusters I got even slower test results.

I noticed games having faster loading times with 16kb clusters.
Anyone has had better results with different settings?

Here are some of the results:
16kb
16kb.JPG

64kb
64kb.JPG

Last edited by hieloco,
Reactions: lordelan

Nsign1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can i have Homebrew Content for a Wii and a Wii u on the same SD card, because i only want to have the backup loader for WiiU game as my wii covers everyhting else

also what would be the best tutorials for starting homebrew on the Wiiu and Vwii should i choose to do that as well

thanks

Last edited by Nsign1,
D

Deleted User

can i have Homebrew Content for a Wii and a Wii u on the same SD card, because i only want to have the backup loader for WiiU game as my wii covers everyhting else

also what would be the best tutorials for starting homebrew on the Wiiu and Vwii should i choose to do that as well

thanks
Yes, you can use both Wii and Wii U homebrew from the same SD Card. Wii software is stored in sd:/apps and Wii U software is stored in sd:/wiiu/apps. If you're still looking for tutorials, go to the top of the Wii U Hacking and Backup Loaders forum, you will find the tutorials at the top under the "sticky" section.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...