Homebrew WiiU Cloning USB HDD

N1k0_VE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to clone your external hdd? For example I have all my games put on my 1TB HDD with USB Helper. But It's allready a very old HDD. In the future when I buy a new one, is it possible to clone the entire hdd to the new one? (So I won't need to reinstall everything again)

jeannotte

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello,

Everything depends on the format of your DDE ??

If your DDE is in fat 32 or NTFS, you will be able to clone with the other, but on the PC.

The Wii u systematically format USB support if you want to connect it, because the Wii u has its own format to detect USB support.

On the other hand for the VWII mode Of the Wii u ,your support can be in fat 32 and be connected to the rear port, at the top (wii lying).

Here, I hope you understand me !!!;)

Last edited by jeannotte,
Reactions: N1k0_VE

N1k0_VE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello,

Everything depends on the format of your DDE ??

If your DDE is in fat 32 or NTFS, you will be able to clone with the other, but on the PC.

The Wii u systematically format USB support if you want to connect it, because the Wii u has its own format to detect USB support.

On the other hand for the VWII mode Of the Wii u ,your support can be in fat 32 and be connected to the rear port, at the top (wii lying).

Here, I hope you understand me !!!;)

Yep I understand. So I guess no cloning the WiiU External then.. Is it possible to backup save files?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There is no cloning tool that I know of that is specifically for Wii U HDDs. However you can copy between HDDs that are formatted for your specific Wii u.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...ove-data-between-two-external-storage-devices

This way you don't have to copy things to sd and reinstall them.
thx for the info!

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, does anyone know if it is possible to clone your external hdd? For example I have all my games put on my 1TB HDD with USB Helper. But It's allready a very old HDD. In the future when I buy a new one, is it possible to clone the entire hdd to the new one? (So I won't need to reinstall everything again)
By the way it takes forever cloning your hard drive with the wiiu. With one in the back and one in the front of the wiiu both with external y power cables it takes around 8-9 hours for 500gb. The wiiu's USB ports are really underpowered.

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By the way it takes forever cloning your hard drive with the wiiu. With one in the back and one in the front of the wiiu both with external y power cables it takes around 8-9 hours for 500gb. The wiiu's USB ports are really underpowered.
Probably still faster than copying each game to sd and running wupinstaller. But still sadly slow.

Save File stuff:

When you copy the game, I believe the save file and dlc goes with it.

If you just want to backup only a save file, you need homebrew. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-saviine-wiiu-savedata-tool.399833/

N1k0_VE

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Probably still faster than copying each game to sd and running wupinstaller. But still sadly slow.

Save File stuff:

When you copy the game, I believe the save file and dlc goes with it.

If you just want to backup only a save file, you need homebrew. https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-saviine-wiiu-savedata-tool.399833/
I don't mind if it's slow, I just leave it on over night and in the morning everything will be on the other hard drive hopefully :D.
Also thx for the info about the save files!

T-Law

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's possible to backup saves, you will find them in storage management side by side with the updates, DLCS, and the others

EDIT: already answered

CHEMI6DER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
If your new drive is also 1TB you can use something like Disk Utility(OS X) or any other disk imaging tool to clone all your data from one drive to another.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, I had to transfer about 800GB from my old drive to a new better one. But I just did it at night right before I went to bed, and it was pretty much done when I woke up. So just be sure when you do the copy, you don't do it right before you want to play if its a lot of data.

snk4ever

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Also if it's WiiU formatted?
I haven't tried myself but I'm pretty sure dd would just work.
If your new drive is the same size or bigger than the old drive, just dd the whole thing. It makes a bit-by-bit low level copy, there is no reason why it shouldn't work as id doesn't care what is on the disk. If you don't use linux, just get a bootable usb live linux and you can use it on any computer.

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried myself but I'm pretty sure dd would just work.
If your new drive is the same size or bigger than the old drive, just dd the whole thing. It makes a bit-by-bit low level copy, there is no reason why it shouldn't work as id doesn't care what is on the disk. If you don't use linux, just get a bootable usb live linux and you can use it on any computer.
Already confirmed this doesn't work as the wii u assigns a specific id to each drive based on a hardware id of sorts. Been a couple of threads before if you have a search.

Reactions: snk4ever

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [goes back to 🛌 ] zzzzzzzzzzzzzz +1