Hacking Wiimotes SURROUND!

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
Seeing as some people here can't tell "this is truly a horribly bad idea" from "marcan is just angry due to $INSERT_REASON_HERE", allow me to explain:

1. 3Khz sound, 4-bit ADPCM. That's much worse than a freaking cellphone call.
2. The Wiimote speaker is tiny. The sampling rate of the output is tiny. Tiny speakers can only play high-range. Small sampling rate means you can only use the low range. Conclusion: it's entirely and absolutely worthless for anything other than a crappy sliver of the mid-range. Good enough for noisemaking, useless for anything else.
3. The protocol is ridiculously wasteful
4. Hence, more than two wiimotes at once is going to be painful on the host
5. You get to encode the ADPCM on the fly too = waste of resources

There's not much you can do with tiny speakers and about 1200Hz of bandwidth. And if you replace the speakers the best you can do is a very crappy midrange speaker or a remote subwoofer. Remote subwoofers are useless because low frequency sound is non-positional.

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You ever open up a Wiimote before?

The speaker on the Wiimote is tiny and fragile.

Im pretty sure it can go louder than normal, but it would rupture as it is not supposed to be at that level. The sound will sound differently than normal when played at the highest setting for long periods of time.

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
marcan said:
Seeing as some people here can't tell "this is truly a horribly bad idea" from "marcan is just angry due to $INSERT_REASON_HERE", allow me to explain:

1. 3Khz sound, 4-bit ADPCM. That's much worse than a freaking cellphone call.
2. The Wiimote speaker is tiny. The sampling rate of the output is tiny. Tiny speakers can only play high-range. Small sampling rate means you can only use the low range. Conclusion: it's entirely and absolutely worthless for anything other than a crappy sliver of the mid-range. Good enough for noisemaking, useless for anything else.
3. The protocol is ridiculously wasteful
4. Hence, more than two wiimotes at once is going to be painful on the host
5. You get to encode the ADPCM on the fly too = waste of resources

There's not much you can do with tiny speakers and about 1200Hz of bandwidth. And if you replace the speakers the best you can do is a very crappy midrange speaker or a remote subwoofer. Remote subwoofers are useless because low frequency sound is non-positional.

Which is why it wouldn't matter if you added a bigger speaker.

Matt93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bigger speaker on each Wiimote, yes.

I never went to the trouble of looking up what marcan said, but I know enough with messing around with Wiimotes on my computer that a bigger speaker isn't going to help. You can't improve the signal.

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Only way to improve the signal would be to physically mod the component that sends out the signal.

In the end, its much better just to get surround sound. Its cheaper now than what it was a long time ago.

You can go with the cheap DVD surround home theatre and plug your Wii into it.

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
OP
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey it was just something I was thinking over a nice joint... and well... I still think you can cut the cable off a nunchuck lying around and configure it to recieve more power with maybe 2 more AA batteries. Maybe the host could be boosted too.. I just don't think it would be anything real expensive except for the speakers.. they would have to be some descent little speakers and I have seen some. I will search for them some other time..

and this isn't meant to give you freakin' bowes super digital surround...it's a freaking device and software hack for pete's sake! Come on isn't this where we try and make ideas come to life with facing a little challenge and putting our heads together to have some fun times? I thought that was always the heart of homebrew if that is what you would like to value it as. I know that whatever I do in front of my pc is from my heart... I can create so much so easily if I just put my mind into it. What if we put 2, 3 ,4 or more together with that saome homebrew heart at mind and push the opinions to the side we could have unlimited bounds and leaps through this hobbie/project/devotion/life/addiction/fun/lonely lives of ours.

Anyways... just sharing some idea thought it could be explored... I mean shit, we are already popping controllers apart, splitting cables, adding leds, skins, modchips, etc. Why can't we build a cool little booster system in those wiimotes to lay beside our kids while nestled in bed or for the poor soul that can't afford surround. And by the way for the record! I have a 52" 1080p LCD display with 1600watt surround... my kid has a 32" SDTV in front of his little race car bed where lies and watches movies and plays his little softmodded wii and asks me when I will teach him homebrew...

You feel me now? I was just think it would be cool and the kid would love them.

TheNewFlesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
IronMask, it's cute that you're trying to play the "closed minded" card on other people, and it's cute that you feel the need to mention your weed use as if it matters or justifies anything, but this idea has been proven terrible already.

-Drains batteries
-Requires at least 4 remotes
-Requires at least 4 remote modifications
-Good luck hearing anything under 500Hz or above 6-7kHz

I could probably come up with 10 more reasons, but that's what's at very front of my brain. Without even thinking too hard it's easy to see why this would be a pain in the ass for everyone but you.

No child in the world is impressed enough with the gimmick of surround sound that they would deal with such a setup.
"Dad, the 'surround sound' system ran out of batteries again... well only the left speaker and the right-rear speaker. The others might last 10 more minutes.."

By the time you mod all your controllers, find some chump to make you homebrew for this setup, come up with "custom power supplies" or a "larger speaker" or "mod the host", you REALLY should have just spent $200 on an actual surround system.

I don't know anyone who can't afford surround, but thinks a decent alternative would be to hack apart expensive wiimotes, add some new speakers, add some bullshit controller extention power supply, mod the host wii, code some homebrew, and drain some AA batteries.

A surround sound system should sound DECENT at the very least. If it sounds terrible, "but technically it's still surround" then what's the point? To say that it happened? To impress your 7 yr old and feel like a big man?

Brian117

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys do know that the speaker in the Wiimote is just a speaker with two metal points. Right? It's totally removable with no wires even attached to it.

So maybe a bigger speaker is possible.

But no flaming or taking sides,

It's a cool idea...but a bad idea. Can possibly ruin the Wiimote also.

Like others said...Would drain the batteries fairly fast, and could also mess up the communications.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well like Marcan said, it would be only to create noise, then how about to create a theremin synth, wich responds to the movements and position of the Wiimote?????

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
That's got to be one of the most retarded ideas I've ever heard. For many reasons.
Guess that isn't on your Todo list Marcan hehe
Tell you what though the only game that has loud sound coming through my wiimote is TP Zelda, anyone else noticed that?
COD5 should be like Zelda TP (sound through wiimote) but it's not, how crap...

IronMask

Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!
OP
Trophies
Website
ironmaskshideout.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Whatever... it was just a thought... damn.. who says you needed to use 4 wiiremotes either?

I am just saying something for fun... so I mean for real... what's so ridiculous of it being an idea compared to some of the other homebrew releases I've seen...that I will not mention... because some of them are pretty pointless as well... yet someone made them, right?

I was just trying to make the point that anything is possible through homebrew... So a few of you want to get real technical about it.. .yet, if Nintendo came out with some attachments and a better media player,official dvd video support etc. for something like this...you know how many people would be all over it for their kids?! And batteries? I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it could be no worse than this WiiSpeak crap... I bought the WiiSpeak and thought it would work with the other usb mic games, etc. Animal city crossing... a game for my kid. Remember.. Wii's are more catered to kids.. and how many times has your kids came to you about changing the batteries in their favorite toy.. so what the hell is the difference?

Anyways... I guess it was stupid idea and for some thought it was something kinda cool.. to me... it doesn't matter one way or the other... I just noticed that when I was playing guitar hero is when I noticed more sound enhancements with the wiimote... I know they aren't the best... but the kids and some of big kids think shit like that is pretty cool... so whatever...it was not a replacement for dolby surround...just more fun.

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IronMask said:
Whatever... it was just a thought... damn.. who says you needed to use 4 wiiremotes either?

I am just saying something for fun... so I mean for real... what's so ridiculous of it being an idea compared to some of the other homebrew releases I've seen...that I will not mention... because some of them are pretty pointless as well... yet someone made them, right?

I was just trying to make the point that anything is possible through homebrew... So a few of you want to get real technical about it.. .yet, if Nintendo came out with some attachments and a better media player,official dvd video support etc. for something like this...you know how many people would be all over it for their kids?! And batteries? I don't know about the rest of you, but I think it could be no worse than this WiiSpeak crap... I bought the WiiSpeak and thought it would work with the other usb mic games, etc. Animal city crossing... a game for my kid. Remember.. Wii's are more catered to kids.. and how many times has your kids came to you about changing the batteries in their favorite toy.. so what the hell is the difference?

Anyways... I guess it was stupid idea and for some thought it was something kinda cool.. to me... it doesn't matter one way or the other... I just noticed that when I was playing guitar hero is when I noticed more sound enhancements with the wiimote... I know they aren't the best... but the kids and some of big kids think shit like that is pretty cool... so whatever...it was not a replacement for dolby surround...just more fun.
not sure about a surround sound (if only the speakers where better)but using it as a kinda hand set with a Viop app (that i'm sure will get made sometime) that uses the wii speak mic would be awesome! also could make your calls a bit more private.

marcan

Trophies
XP
Country
ether2802 said:
Well like Marcan said, it would be only to create noise, then how about to create a theremin synth, wich responds to the movements and position of the Wiimote?????
See, THAT sounds like a cool idea. And you don't need to fuck around with the hardware.

You can't really make the controlling variable position, but you can make it angle. Not quite a traditional theremin, but pretty close.

I think it's already been done using host speaker sound, so all you'd really need to do is pipe the audio to the wiimote.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:

See, THAT sounds like a cool idea. And you don't need to fuck around with the hardware.
You can't really make the controlling variable position, but you can make it angle. Not quite a traditional theremin, but pretty close.

I think it's already been done using host speaker sound, so all you'd really need to do is pipe the audio to the wiimote.
ether2802 Nice idea, just earned some browny points
wink2.gif

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
couldn't you just use two wiimotes and and a coat hanger and have like crappy headphones lol bunny ears
turn them sideways integrate head tracking and we could play find the sensor bar in the dark
smile.gif

Its good to see people thinking of new ideas but this would sound worse than an all in one home cinema kit not knocking the idea afterall its not why you do these things its all about because you can, just like my chunky savemiifrii emergency button idea its pointless but passes the time and maybe have some fun along the way

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
It could be done with special usb hardware I think... To take it simple think a gadget identifying itself as mass storage device to the system and when a special file in it written it just converts this to analog signal and gives this signal through it's output jacks... you can get as many channels as system is capable of... But you can only use homebrew with that...

The real implementation would be a complete new hardware, with specific drivers in ios... That only we can see in a new Nintendo game due to complexity... Nintendo won't bother with such an hardware in this current system...

So it's a no go...

Even c64 got extra sid through it's expansion port with it's 1mhz cpu clock... Just someone should take this as a commercial or a fun to do project... not so feasible..

Chemical_Warfare

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
marcan said:
ether2802 said:

i actually like this idea - it would most likely be more fun than wii music, anyhow.

what if you say, used the nunchuck for angling the tone, and the mote itself like the hand movements? could the accelerometer be used to pick up the motions?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    White fries hold up
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @K3Nv2 sure you can
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why tf do people hate android users? is it the video quality? just because "AnDrOiD = pOoR" bc they don't cost an arm and a leg like iphones do?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i won't be turned off by an iphone, but don't pick on me for having an android, that's just how this shit should work
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Should say more what these kind of android users say bout nokia 3310 users