Hardware Wii U launch price. Any thoughts?

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@[member='the_randomizer']

Do you use the HIGHEST price as a reference point in your comparison when you BUY stuff? Like this: if product X was once sold for $600, then $500, then $400, then $300 in the past, any price below the $600 mark for a similar product is a good price?
That's not what he's saying, I think. He's just making a point. Honestly, I find it ridiculous that people are whining about the Wii U costing OMG $300-$350 IS TOO MUCH MONEY when 2 out of 3 consoles had much higher prices at release at the beginning of this generation (and for weaker hardware at that, though that's understandable).
How does saying something's too expensive amount to 'whining'? I've worked with children and teenagers, so presumably I should know what whining is, and this isn't it. Saying something's too expensive simply means the price this person's willing to pay for the item is lower than the stated price, so no transaction will occur at the current price.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
How does saying something's too expensive amount to 'whining'? I've worked with children and teenagers, so presumably I should know what whining is, and this isn't it. Saying something's too expensive simply means the price this person's willing to pay for the item is lower than the stated price, so no transaction will occur at the current price.
There's a huge difference between something's too expensive for you personally and saying it's too expensive for what it is, period.

Reactions: 1 person

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
26799245.jpg

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Last I checked, it was a full-fledged retail game made up of smaller party games. And last I checked, You can forget the game and just get the regular set without it for only $300.
It's not like it's JUST the game that it comes with. Even if it didn't include a bunch of extras, 4 time the memory is worth $50.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last I checked, it was a full-fledged retail game made up of smaller party games. And last I checked, You can forget the game and just get the regular set without it for only $300.
It's not like it's JUST the game that it comes with. Even if it didn't include a bunch of extras, 4 time the memory is worth $50.
32GB microsd cards go on sale all the time for $15

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bit it's not like the WiiU uses SD's.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Internal flash is always better than external flash. Besides, if you get the deluxe model that means you can have a total of 64GB of flash memory, as opposed to 40GB.

If you disagree, that's your opinion. I was just pointing out that it comes with a lot more than a game.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
(note: just back from vacation...haven't fully read 10 pages of opinions).

By itself, I'd say the price is pretty fair for what you get* ( this wikipedia page has good sources). Okay, the 3DS was the same price (as the deluxe) at launch, but I seriously doubt we'll see another price drop like that.
EDIT: corrected by Krestent (sorry about that).

The only thing that kinda boggles me is the basic pack. No game included? And I'm sure I saw a movie of a nintendo rep explaining how the sensor bar wasn't to be in the European basic model 'because most people already have it from their wii' (source...somewhere around halfway in that movie). And...8 gigabyte intern memory? Yes, it's 16 times what it is now, but how much will DLC, savegames and wiiUware use? It may be a bit early, but I think the "basic" pack would best be called the "extra slim" pack and the premium to be just the 'normal' one.

That said...I freakin' don't know which model to get. the memory doesn't bother me (I'll plug in a HD at one point anyhow), I don't care much about nintendoland** (may change if it gets good reviews, though), those stands can go fuck themselves and I'm not sold on that buy-in scheme either***. However, the only plus side is a major one: the color. With something that's visible 24/7, it better matches the freakin' furniture (my wii is already quite a combo breaker between a black PC, television and desk).

Meh...I'll see what happens. And perhaps waiting a few days to see how importing works (I don't think fooling the wiiU in accepting a sneek-nand full of wiiware/VC will work, but it's not too far-fetched either).

*note: haven't looked too much on European prices, but it seems to go for 300/350 euro's. That's more expensive than the US, but not that much (1€ = around 1.3$).

**yes, there's a bundle with zombiU instead. But why does that one come with a pro controller as well? (pushing up the price to 400€) The freakin' game DOESN'T EVEN NEED IT!

*** 10% off on digital copies sounds nice, but that's not it. You get 'around 10% back in credits after the purchase'. Until 2014. And I'd still rather have a physical copy than a legal download (try pawning the latter).

leic7

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a huge difference between something's too expensive for you personally and saying it's too expensive for what it is, period.
And how does that amount to 'whining'?

BTW, those two different things you mentioned? They are the same concept, actually. There's no such thing as objective valuation* of a commodity. A commodity's value* is always a relative and subjective concept. In the simplest scenario, a product is worth* exactly as much as whatever the buyer's willing to give up in exchange for it.

No matter how a person says "it's too expensive", there's only one way to interpret it: it's too expensive for them.

* Please forgive my improper use of economic terminologies, it's been a while since my last course.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
And how does that amount to 'whining'?

BTW, those two different things you mentioned? They are the same concept, actually. There's no such thing as objective valuation* of a commodity. A commodity's value* is always a relative and subjective concept. In the simplest scenario, a product is worth* exactly as much as whatever the buyer's willing to give up in exchange for it.

No matter how a person says "it's too expensive", there's only one way to interpret it: it's too expensive for them.

* Please forgive my improper use of economic terminologies, it's been a while since my last course.
Not really, although usually people will specify if they don't mean for themselves. For example:

Product X is too expensive for company Y to make a decent profit, since higher prices means fewer sales.

You sell something too cheap, you get plenty of sales but don't make enough money per product. You sell it too expensive, and you won't get enough sales to benefit from the higher price.

Reactions: 2 people

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Not necessarily. Right now, the Wii U is too expensive for me personally, because I'm broke and unemployed. But I don't think it's objectively too expensive by any means.
No problem. You seem to know your terminology better than me, anyway. ;)

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users