Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
If the delay is 1/60th of a sec. And a game runs at 60 fps. Then that is a full frame delay
He said 'not more than'. So full frame delay at the most, perhaps less. Anyway, 16ms latency is pretty impressive for video that's being sent wirelessly on the fly

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only have one thing to say about the Wii-U....

1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Really, it isn't a tablet. It can't function away from the console. It serves no tablet-like functions.
And there's a decent probability that GameCube games will be part of the Virtual Console. Not all hope is lost there.
I'm still pissed at them (and Sony) for dropping compatibility with their older disc based systems (GCN, PS2). What's the point of having the same game medium if it doesnt mean complete backwards compatibility??

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not expecting Nintendo to completely overcome frame latency in a video game console, but I have a question. Have other companies using tablet technology completely overcome latency? And if so could any of you give me some examples?

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Really, it isn't a tablet. It can't function away from the console. It serves no tablet-like functions.
And there's a decent probability that GameCube games will be part of the Virtual Console. Not all hope is lost there.
I'm still pissed at them (and Sony) for dropping compatibility with their older disc based systems (GCN, PS2). What's the point of having the same game medium if it doesnt mean complete backwards compatibility??
So if it uses a compatible medium, it has to be backwards compatible?

I, uhh- What?

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

I, uhh- What?
I didn't say it "has" to be. read my post again: I just said that it makes no sense to drop the functionality. And if they ARE going to drop the functionality, they might as well move to a better storage medium (with SD cards being more compact, less prone to damage like discs, and storage capacity in the hundreds of gb at least, they might as well go with some sort of game card, like for 3DS and PSV). Why are we still using discs for the 3rd generation (4th, if you include PS1) in a row?

EDIT: I'm not saying there aren't ADVANTAGES to discs (not losing them in couches, for example). I'm just saying that there must be a better storage medium available out there

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania

I, uhh- What?
I didn't say it "has" to be. read my post again: I just said that it makes no sense to drop the functionality. And if they ARE going to drop the functionality, they might as well move to a better storage medium (with SD cards being more compact, less prone to damage like discs, and storage capacity in the hundreds of gb at least, they might as well go with some sort of game card, like for 3DS and PSV). Why are we still using discs for the 3rd generation (4th, if you include PS1) in a row?

EDIT: I'm not saying there aren't ADVANTAGES to discs (not losing them in couches, for example). I'm just saying that there must be a better storage medium available out there
It's as if you think hardware is free. Companies don't continue to use backwards compatible mediums just for backwards compatibility with games. Do you have any idea how expensive those mediums you're suggesting are? Holographic discs aren't even viable yet, and blueray-sized flash memory would be a ridiculous waste of money, especially for a stationary devices. Our current optical discs still work just fine, there is no reason for an upgrade.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's as if you think hardware is free. Companies don't continue to use backwards compatible mediums just for backwards compatibility with games. Do you have any idea how expensive those mediums you're suggesting are? Holographic discs aren't even viable yet, and blueray-sized flash memory would be a ridiculous waste of money, especially for a stationary devices. Our current optical discs still work just fine, there is no reason for an upgrade.
You're probably right. But that still leaves the question... if they're going to STICK with the same storage medium (DVDs), why on EARTH aren't they keeping compatibility with GCN, which USES DVDs just the same as Wii and Wii U? It just doesn't make sense to me.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's neat but it wont affect me for getting one at all. I am waiting for 3rd party and many good games first before I consider to buy it. I don't want to waste my money for nothing. :)

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
You're probably right. But that still leaves the question... if they're going to STICK with the same storage medium (DVDs), why on EARTH aren't they keeping compatibility with GCN, which USES DVDs just the same as Wii and Wii U? It just doesn't make sense to me.

Because there is more to compatibility than just the medium the game is on.

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because when they re-release games you have to buy them again.

I know of several people who own a Wii who do not own any Wii games other than the ones it came with. They kept their GCN games and play those. Granted, not everyone did that, but when those people want the new system and can't play the old games....they just might buy new ones.

And that's what most companies hope for. Even the Xbox 360, which originally flaunted it's backwards compatibility eventually dropped the subject (and it wasn't even full backwards compatibility. I own a couple games I had to keep one of my original xboxes just to play. [Turned the rest into XBMC centers]).

The only one who kept more than one generation is Sony, and they dropped PS2 compatibility for cost cutting, and now sell PS2 games on SEN/PSN.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
They're not sticking to DVDs. They actually never used DVDs in the first place but that's besides the point. They're using 25GB proprietary optical discs. Essentially a clone of Blu Ray.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm not expecting Nintendo to completely overcome frame latency in a video game console, but I have a question. Have other companies using tablet technology completely overcome latency? And if so could any of you give me some examples?

Latency issues will always be there ..people can only make the problem smaller.

Well, here is a video about latency that shows what Microsoft is doing about it on their Labs :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOvQCPLkPt4&

MEGAMANTROTSKY

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well, here is a video about latency that shows what Microsoft is doing about it on their Labs :

http://www.youtube.c...?v=vOvQCPLkPt4
The video was very enlightening. Thank you.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

http://www.youtube.c...?v=vOvQCPLkPt4
The video was very enlightening. Thank you.

But not related to the OP...
It's not screen touch latency, it to singnal from wii-u to tablet vs tv screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y