Hardware Wii U keeps freezing on game updates...

megaexplosion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I keep running into a problem with my Wii U. Since the last Smash 4 update (Mewtwo) came out I have not been able to do any game related updates because the system will freeze on the download screen. I have not been able to get the Mewtwo patch for Smash and just right now I cannot download the SPlatoon update that JUST came out a few minutes ago. This sucks because I can't play the games online without the update.

Anyone run across this? Any solutions maybe?

megaexplosion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have enough storage available?
Yeah! 22 GB! There's literally nothing on this thing except game data from all the games I play. Although here's something. I just tried going to the data management screen twice to see if there was anything extra there and sure enough it froze again. So it seems it's freezing when it tries to access the HDD? Could it be a problem with that?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah! 22 GB! There's literally nothing on this thing except game data from all the games I play. Although here's something. I just tried going to the data management screen twice to see if there was anything extra there and sure enough it froze again. So it seems it's freezing when it tries to access the HDD? Could it be a problem with that?
Could be anything. Another stupid question. Have you power cycled it? Let it sit unplugged for a minute.

megaexplosion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I tried that a few times when it happened the first time with Smash and just now too. It also sat unplugged in a box for like 3 weeks before Splatoon came out. :|

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I am not going to suggest a system format because I don't know how or if you can backup your saves.

megaexplosion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that... Especially because Nintendo has screwed me over in the past with similar problems on my 3DS... But I might resort to that. Also since technically this is my younger brother's Wii U I might also just resort to buying my own. :/

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that... Especially because Nintendo has screwed me over in the past with similar problems on my 3DS... But I might resort to that. Also since technically this is my younger brother's Wii U I might also just resort to buying my own. :/
Is it under warranty?

Also do you live with your brother? For how long? I bought a console only Wii u (no GP) for $101 delivered on eBay,with all the cables. I just synced my kids GP temporarily to set it up and can now play mK8 and smash in my bed with GC or WUPCs.

"Hey honey want to get frisky tonight? No? you are tired again? OK,". 3.....2....1....Go!

megaexplosion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to find the warranty but I'm not completely sure it's still active. :/ Now I can't go into any app or menu without it freezing. What the hell?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you good with a screwdriver and taking things apart? Might be time for a Wally World purchase, swap internals, return weekend. :)

Pyrii

Trophies
XP
Country
Sounds like you have faulty memory. Might be worth returning it. How long have you had it?

megaexplosion

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sent the Wii U to Ninty and they actually solved my problem and sent me a new Wii U with all my old save data even though the warranty was long gone. I convinced them it was their update that broke my memory so they fixed it! Good to Ninty on that one!

Thanks for the help doe guys!

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I sent the Wii U to Ninty and they actually solved my problem and sent me a new Wii U with all my old save data even though the warranty was long gone. I convinced them it was their update that broke my memory so they fixed it! Good to Ninty on that one!

Thanks for the help doe guys!

Sounds like bad system memory. i wonder if they actual dumped the nand. I was wondering how well they do save transfers. Glad they gave you a new one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?