Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It probably doesn't affect people on 5.5 and below, but for future updates to the Wii U, you guys (meaning the Wii U scene) might want to be on the lookout: on the 3DS, Nintendo added a remote killswitch of sorts to the web browser on firmwares 9.9 and up. It phones home when you connect to a URL, asking if the browser is up to date, and refuses to let you use the browser from then on if it's not, until the entire system is updated.

If you want more details: https://gbatemp.net/threads/browserhax-is-dead-on-any-firmware.400930/page-11#post-5761864

Last edited by daxtsu,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably doesn't affect people on 5.5 and below, but for future updates to the Wii U, you guys (meaning the Wii U scene) might want to be on the lookout: on the 3DS, Nintendo added a remote killswitch of sorts to the web browser on firmwares 9.9 and up. It phones home when you connect to a URL, asking if the browser is up to date, and refuses to let you use the browser from then on if it's not, until the entire system is updated.

If you want more details: https://gbatemp.net/threads/browserhax-is-dead-on-any-firmware.400930/page-11#post-5761864

With all of that, it would make sense to release any Wii U 5.5 hacks asap otherwise everyone's going to get screwed when they find they were updated to 5.6 even with Tubehax and router blocks.

fossi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

thanks for the heads up! Time to block my WiiU and 3DS MACs in my router :blink:

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Thanks great post. I did not check 3DS forums of recent date.
My 3DS was saved.&WiiU future?:)

Well, I can't promise Nintendo will use that exact URL for the Wii U if and when they add this "feature" to the browser, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Thanks for the info. We should be safe from that considering TubeHax DNS now covers
cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net (according to your linked post). Do you happen to know all of the URLs that TubeHax DNScovers?

@NWPlayer123 TexHaxU doesn't want to work at all. :(
Can you make a more detailed tutorial? The command line isn't working.
TexHaxU definitely works.

Last edited by fiveighteen,
Reactions: Adr990

H93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@NWPlayer123 TexHaxU doesn't want to work at all. :(
Can you make a more detailed tutorial? The command line isn't working.
TaxHaxU works fine :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i was thinking the exact same thing, after a quick google....its a texture editing tool
release in May it's not realy new :P

Last edited by H93,

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
@NWPlayer123 I got this error:
Code:
Texture Hax Script by NWPlayer123

Usage: hax.py file.dds file.bfres minmip texpos
minmip is minimum mipmap size(IE, generate until dimensions <= NxN)
texpos is texture position in BFRES
Use: hax.py file.bfres

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "hax.py", line 100, in <module>
    ftex = [m.start() for m in re.finditer('FTEX', bfres)]
  File "c:\python\32-bit\3.4\lib\re.py", line 215, in finditer
TypeError: can't use a string pattern on a bytes-like object
Hmm... I'm using Python 3.4.3.

Last edited by AboodXD,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat