Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

starerik

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If anyone is working on modding or playing with TWWHD, and interested, I have replacement files for the music streams to be the GameCube originals and not the terrible remakes. I would love for someone to try them out in-game. I don't have a tool to convert to BFSTM, though.

Reactions: pelago

IbbyPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If anyone is working on modding or playing with TWWHD, and interested, I have replacement files for the music streams to be the GameCube originals and not the terrible remakes. I would love for someone to try them out in-game. I don't have a tool to convert to BFSTM, though.
I'm pretty sure most files are in the original format.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm very interested in pyGecko, since it can run on any OS with Python, but I don't understand how it works...
Are there any instructions, documentation, etc?
I've looked at the example and I so far I know that there are two commands: tcp.writestr, whose arguments are the address and the string to write, and tcp.pokemem, which is used to change the memory at the specified address. Is that correct?
Is it possible to dump the memory with pyGecko?
1) Yes, basically you need to decide what to use on a case-by-case basis. There's also kernel read/write functions, and FS read functions. Usually if you're changing a value you want to poke it so the cache is flushed, otherwise it'll just freeze. writestr is used more for strings when it's too difficult to kernel write memory 4 bytes at a time. Just be wary of padding, always try to make strings the same length or less.
2) um yes but it's like 10x as slow, haven't gotten around to figuring out how tf to optimize it. Just use the DotNet client.
Tried it back when we first got the kexploit working, Cafiine breaks on it for whatever reason. The Splatoon unmap fix might've unstuck it though.

Reactions: nastys

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
1) Yes, basically you need to decide what to use on a case-by-case basis. There's also kernel read/write functions, and FS read functions. Usually if you're changing a value you want to poke it so the cache is flushed, otherwise it'll just freeze. writestr is used more for strings when it's too difficult to kernel write memory 4 bytes at a time. Just be wary of padding, always try to make strings the same length or less.
2) um yes but it's like 10x as slow, haven't gotten around to figuring out how tf to optimize it. Just use the DotNet client.
Thank you, I'll have a look at the source and try to make a documentation :)

Reactions: Margen67

GOT4N

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
Oh and guys as I'm wondering too, would it be worth updating? Because I don't wanna wait too long for nothing, would there be homebrews?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh and guys as I'm wondering too, would it be worth updating? Because I don't wanna wait too long for nothing, would there be homebrews?
If people actually cared about making homebrew, there would already be homebrew. You have to put in the effort to reap the rewards, and all anyone cares about right now is the kernel exploit.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If people actually cared about making homebrew, there would already be homebrew. You have to put in the effort to reap the rewards, and all anyone cares about right now is the kernel exploit.

i don't find that to be heartening, as I don't know a damn thing about programming or porting code :(

GOT4N

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
So that exploit is useless about running custom games soon, emulators etc?

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So that exploit is useless about running custom games soon, emulators etc?
Custom games/game mods are about the only things it'll allow, along with cheat codes, and that's not always a good thing. Emulators have been possible since we released the original userspace exploit like last summer but nobody bothered documenting graphics functions to make them. The only thing the kernel exploit'll allow is to be able to grab all the cores so we have an even cleaner slate for making homebrew. Run kexploit, get kicked out of browser, reload and it loads into a homebrew launcher.

Reactions: nastys

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Custom games/game mods are about the only things it'll allow, along with cheat codes, and that's not always a good thing. Emulators have been possible since we released the original userspace exploit like last summer but nobody bothered documenting graphics functions to make them. The only thing the kernel exploit'll allow is to be able to grab all the cores so we have an even cleaner slate for making homebrew. Run kexploit, get kicked out of browser, reload and it loads into a homebrew launcher.

So as of now, as far as emulators go, we're shit out of lucky. Wonderful -_- Well, I give up hope, no point in my getting hyped for this, might as well update to 5.4.0.

GOT4N

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
So yeah, it's better to update I guess? I mean, downloaded games probably won't be runnable right?
And thanks :)

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So as of now, as far as emulators go, we're shit out of lucky. Wonderful -_- Well, I give up hope, no point in my getting hyped for this, might as well update to 5.4.0.
If you update now, you will get 5.5.0 for free ;)

OK, i was joking there for a bit.
Seriously now, how about redirecting that energy you now use by replying so much to try to get gbatemp people (or from other forums) to make emulators for the wii u.

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Could someone give me some help please?

I ran the kernel exploit, the I launched th py page from wj44's site.

I then loaded mario kart 8 (hehe)

Retrieved my wiiu ip address.

But here is the problem: I cannot connect with tcgpgecko dotnet :(

Anyone knows what I did wrong?

nastys

ナースティス
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could someone give me some help please?

I ran the kernel exploit, the I launched th py page from wj44's site.

I then loaded mario kart 8 (hehe)

Retrieved my wiiu ip address.

But here is the problem: I cannot connect with tcgpgecko dotnet :(

Anyone knows what I did wrong?
You need to open the browser again, then it will connect.

golden45

Trophies
XP
Country
France
From another post :

1. Open the browser and run the original, unmodified osdriver exploit (repeat the process until it works)
2. Re-Open the browser from the Home menu and go to wj44.bplaced.net/py/
3. Re-Re-Open the browser again (this is very important!!!!!)
5. Connect to Gecko dotNET
6. Return to home and launch the game
7. Gecko dotNET will reconnect

That works for me

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
You need to open the browser again, then it will connect.
I tried that, it doesn't connect :(

Is there a step I missed? I launched the kexploit, then th py page, then mk8, then internet browser again, but I cannot connect to tcgp gecko :(

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

From another post :

1. Open the browser and run the original, unmodified osdriver exploit (repeat the process until it works)
2. Re-Open the browser from the Home menu and go to wj44.bplaced.net/py/
3. Re-Re-Open the browser again (this is very important!!!!!)
5. Connect to Gecko dotNET
6. Return to home and launch the game
7. Gecko dotNET will reconnect

That works for me
Will try that, thanks :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.