EpicLPer

Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria

Got side-tracked for a day and a half and ended up with this. The tools I created to make this can also be used for general DRC/DRH firmware/resource hacks, including tweaking poweroff delay and enabling the on-gamepad debug menu on non-debug gamepads (tho all that's really useful for is bricking your gamepad). This is also useful for gamepad region changing! Did you even know they're region-locked? I didn't.
Anyways this kinda needs iosuhax (or SPI r/w to drc flash) so expect it to make its way out after that stuff's done and out.

Comments and ratings disabled? Something smells a bit fishy.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does 1.1.6 SSB4 patch need 5.5.1 version? Because i will return to my home 23 August and i don't know if my Wii U is on 5.5.0 or 5.5.1... Thanks for your answer. Sorry for my bad English.

Kairu43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I would rather have waited but because I wanted to ensure I didn't get locked out, I ran the Starfox Zero update with the intent of updating online after the fact if need be. If it matters, this is the version with a Star Fox guard disc included (in a blue case). It looks like Star Fox is at least one wii u game shipping with 5.5.1. 5.0.0 -> 5.5.1 with just the on-disc update and no active internet connection set on the console.

Edit: It appears my console did have an Internet connection set up, but I just pulled the console out of storage and I ran the disc update, not a prompt at boot. Detailed a few posts down.

Last edited by Kairu43,
Reactions: Straximus

Kairu43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Kairu43 was your WiiU spoofed?
Nope. I never looked into doing that. I was mistaken regarding the console having an Internet connection setup, however, I just pulled this console out of storage where it had been for over a year. I launched the disc update, not a prompt at boot and never saw a download progress bar before then. I launched the disc update, it stated it was preparing the update and then it installed. I checked the version immediately after and it is 5.5.1

Edit: I ran the homebrew browser for the first time last night :) Took a few tries, but I did it the lazy way through wiiubru.com/x

In the interest of full-disclosure, I did have the console on earlier in the day to re-pair the gamepad and to see what firmware the console was on, which was 5.0.0. As I said though, I launched the disc update (and it ran through it's install), and I wasn't getting an update prompt at boot, so I can't see any other possibility than that the update is on Star Fox Zero.

Last edited by Kairu43,

Intronaut

A star maker
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Nice to see some progress on the IOSU work you guys are doing. :)

I wanted to ask one thing since you guys are doing all this work.
If RedNAND becomes a thing (or maybe WHEN it becomes a thing) how big would the Nand image be in terms of GB?
I want to know it too. I heard you would need a 64 gb sd card

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I want to know it too. I heard you would need a 64 gb sd card
i doubt it, even on 32GB system i doubt they would bother making a 32GB emunand, they could probably just redirect the 1GB nand and share the system memory, although i heard the wiiu shits itself if unsigned apps are installed when you boot into sysnand, so at worst it wold probably just be the 8GB used for basic systems, its not like people will care if they have 8GB or 32GB when they can use USB storage

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Reactions: Antonio Ricardo

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wouldn't it still make sense to keep a redNAND on SD, though, even if it's just for the sake of keeping it on its own separate drive that can't be fudged with?
Well since IOSU is supposed to enable USB for the end user, we could possibly store the NAND in an HDD instead of a SD for space sake.
Maybe that could be a way to circumvent the space issue with the SD card, but still that doesn't answer my question of how big is the NAND with a good source to backup the claim.
We could very well use an 8GB Wii U or 32 GB but I don't think the NAND itself has anything to do with the storage space of the console, but rather the eMM/EEPROM chips (IIRC).

I'll dig a little bit into it and post what I can find.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well since IOSU is supposed to enable USB for the end user, we could possibly store the NAND in an HDD instead of a SD for space sake.
Maybe that could be a way to circumvent the space issue with the SD card, but still that doesn't answer my question of how big is the NAND with a good source to backup the claim.
We could very well use an 8GB Wii U or 32 GB but I don't think the NAND itself has anything to do with the storage space of the console, but rather the eMM/EEPROM chips (IIRC).

I'll dig a little bit into it and post what I can find.
I know I'm most certainly not a "reliable source," given that I'm just kind of a bystander in the scene, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that the NAND for both the OS and storage is eMMC, with the OS having its own 1GB bank and the storage having a bank in whatever capacity is printed on the box

Please don't quote me on that, though

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://overclock3d.net/news/cases_cooling/cooler-master-had-multi-coloured-ai-cryofuze-5-thermal... +1