Your friendly Austrian IT Guy
Trophies
Website
epiclper.com
XP
Country
Austria
Oh yeah, I forgot. :P

Also, yes. Watching a video before launching the exploit causes a crash.
We'll never know why...
Oh and to add something: I had a hacked vWii with custom IOS's but for some reason it didn't affect the update process on my side... Not sure why it did for some other people and why they simply got an error message.

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
Oh and to add something: I had a hacked vWii with custom IOS's but for some reason it didn't affect the update process on my side... Not sure why it did for some other people and why they simply got an error message.
Even I have a custom IOS installed.
They got an error message because they literally broke their vWii.

If you install a corrupted/Wii IOS on vWii, you will break your vWii. :P

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Got side-tracked for a day and a half and ended up with this. The tools I created to make this can also be used for general DRC/DRH firmware/resource hacks, including tweaking poweroff delay and enabling the on-gamepad debug menu on non-debug gamepads (tho all that's really useful for is bricking your gamepad). This is also useful for gamepad region changing! Did you even know they're region-locked? I didn't.
Anyways this kinda needs iosuhax (or SPI r/w to drc flash) so expect it to make its way out after that stuff's done and out.

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Got side-tracked for a day and a half and ended up with this. The tools I created to make this can also be used for general DRC/DRH firmware/resource hacks, including tweaking poweroff delay and enabling the on-gamepad debug menu on non-debug gamepads (tho all that's really useful for is bricking your gamepad). This is also useful for gamepad region changing! Did you even know they're region-locked? I didn't.
Anyways this kinda needs iosuhax (or SPI r/w to drc flash) so expect it to make its way out after that stuff's done and out.

Thanks for your big efforts and your big work!!! :)

Last edited by Carnelian,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of

Do you think it's possible to untether the gamepad from the wiiu so it can be it's own platform kinda?
It would probably be weak as hell but it still interests me for some reason.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Nice to see some progress on the IOSU work you guys are doing. :)

I wanted to ask one thing since you guys are doing all this work.
If RedNAND becomes a thing (or maybe WHEN it becomes a thing) how big would the Nand image be in terms of GB?

CJB100

Programmer, Media Producer, Hardware Repair
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

@WulfyStylez, can I just take a moment to collectively thank you and any other dev who has ever worked on the Wii U? @QuarkTheAwesome, @brienj, @CreeperMario, @Mathew_Wi, @FIX94, @Cyan and all the other major devs I'm sure I'm missing:

Sincerely, thanks. It's awesome to have these things to tinker with and learn about. And I'm sure you guys don't get any actual appreciation en masse all that often. On behalf of all the people here, thanks -- even if they aren't aware they should be thankful.

Last edited by CJB100,

Baphomet

Homebrew Justice Warrior™
Trophies
XP
Country
Jamaica
This is also useful for gamepad region changing! Did you even know they're region-locked? I didn't.
The possibility of this and undoing the biggest bullshit Nintendo did with Wii U really is something great, well, if your me. It's actually cheaper where I live to import a standalone new gamepad from Japan than it is to use their outsourced repair company for repairs (they seem to classify any fault with them as "beyond economical repair" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). The peace of mind of perhaps being able to have a backup pad in the future, in my own region, ready to go, is quite awesome. Thank you! :grog:

Last edited by Baphomet,

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

Holy holy damn this is really impressive. Now I'm thinking about some nice custom boot screens! :D

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think it's possible to untether the gamepad from the wiiu so it can be it's own platform kinda?
It would probably be weak as hell but it still interests me for some reason.
You could if you spent the time developing a firmware for it (or extending their existing 'apps' like the TV remote deal). Runs on an ARM so it's not exactly rocket science, aside from figuring out devices and IO. The one thing I personally want to try some time is removing obscurities with the DRC/DRH firmware so that it can connect to PCs without requiring custom wpasupplicant stuff.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You could if you spent the time developing a firmware for it (or extending their existing 'apps' like the TV remote deal). Runs on an ARM so it's not exactly rocket science, aside from figuring out devices and IO. The one thing I personally want to try some time is removing obscurities with the DRC/DRH firmware so that it can connect to PCs without requiring custom wpasupplicant stuff.
Another issue I can think of is the fact that the GamePad doesn't have internal storage AFAIK.
If one would want to make the GamePad a standalone platform, you would have to implement a storage system.
That is, if you don't want to rely on streaming everything to the pad itself.

Trophies
Website
heyquark.com
XP
Country
Australia
@WulfyStylez, can I just take a moment to collectively thank you and any other dev who has ever worked on the Wii U? @QuarkTheAwesome, @brienj, @CreeperMario, @Mathew_Wi, @FIX94, @Cyan and all the other major devs I'm sure I'm missing:

Sincerely, thanks. It's awesome to have these things to tinker with and learn about. And I'm sure you guys don't get any actual appreciation en masse all that often. On behalf of all the people here, thanks -- even if they aren't aware they should be thankful.
Shoutouts to @vgmoose, @pwsincd, @rw-r-r_0644, @davetheshrew, @NexoCube, @Maschell, @dimok and that person who may or may not be keeping their head low (You know who you are, keep that IOSU stuff up!) - he's talking to you lot too

(sorry if I missed you on the initial post, you're still just as awesome! I just type stuff too fast)

Last edited by QuarkTheAwesome, , Reason: "to" -> "too" - exactly my bloody point

Kairu43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Getting back to relevant topics;

Starfox Zero appears to require, at minimum, a 5.5.1 spoof. Inserting the disc prompts a System update. I'm lead to believe that means that the game has the 5.5.1 update on disc, but can anyone confirm this? I updated my main Wiiu to 5.5.1 via the internet (regrettably, I did so before picking up Star Fox, or I could answer my own question), but my spare is at 5.0.0 and stored away.

I have an original release Splatoon, so I can get to 5.3.2 easy, but I would sleep better knowing I could get to 5.5.1 via disc if Nintendo ships a newer firmware (which I have to believe they will try with the new Link title, if not sooner).

Reiterating my question for those who didn't read the above: Does Star Fox Zero have the 5.5.1update on disc?

brienj

Trying to avoid getting cancer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States

Starfox Zero appears to require, at minimum, a 5.5.1 spoof. Inserting the disc prompts a System update. I'm lead to believe that means that the game has the 5.5.1 update on disc, but can anyone confirm this? I updated my main Wiiu to 5.5.1 via the internet (regrettably, I did so before picking up Star Fox, or I could answer my own question), but my spare is at 5.0.0 and stored away.

I have an original release Splatoon, so I can get to 5.3.2 easy, but I would sleep better knowing I could get to 5.5.1 via disc if Nintendo ships a newer firmware (which I have to believe they will try with the new Link title, if not sooner).

Reiterating my question for those who didn't read the above: Does Star Fox Zero have the 5.5.1update on disc?
The game was delayed around November 2015 (because of waiting for the next system update?), and then shipped April 2016, after the 5.5.1 update came out, so it's a good possibility, although I can not confirm if it is true or not.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

preety sure star fox zero has 5.4.0 not 5.5.1. I recall people saying that.

Last edited by pedro702,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Freedom* *(terms and conditions apply)