Hacking Wii U Hacking & Homebrew Discussion

Chujowski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Again, even if we did release an exploit, we've only been working on a kernel exploit, the only thing that it would enable is cheating, the same way Bean and Chadderz did it. Piracy still isn't possible with any exploit currently being worked on. We'd have to develop an entirely new exploit for IOSU to do any sort of thing like that.

I was referring to f0f. Tri-Core Linux has also made great progress, this would give them another reason to release everything they have done aside from the release of the WiiKeyU.

NWPlayer123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC someone said that their exploits were patched in newer versions, so they're out of the picture, they're long gone by now, considering how long ago they did their shenanigans up to now with all the changes that have happened. Even if their exploit wasn't patched, it still wouldn't do any good because then Ninty could patch all our exploits in one fell swoop, better to release them one at a time if we were gonna do that. (Referring to F0F, Bean, and MN1 and co's in-the-work exploit)

Chujowski

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
IIRC someone said that their exploits were patched in newer versions, so they're out of the picture, they're long gone by now, considering how long ago they did their shenanigans up to now with all the changes that have happened. Even if their exploit wasn't patched, it still wouldn't do any good because then Ninty could patch all our exploits in one fell swoop, better to release them one at a time if we were gonna do that. (Referring to F0F, Bean, and MN1 and co's in-the-work exploit)

Didn't know they were patched. You got the source? If they haven't been patched Nintendo could potentially patch it over night if they wanted too... But most of us should have our WiFi not connected to any network on the console at this point. We could then use loaders to bypass the update on newer games or directly rip the update off the dump (if possible).

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need the exploit to get the full access of the hardware on the Wii U to run the o/s. Right now it's being run off the vWii with limited ram.

Some of the research going toward Trinux could be used to run homebrew on the Wii U with full access to hardware, but it would be a pain in the ass because we'd be developing on bare metal. That's still useful to the Linux crowd for very obvious reasons.

As f0f said, we can use SDK libraries legally on the Wii U. That's pretty awesome, and a big change from how things were in the past with previous systems. Anyone remember xbins?

But yeah, f0f's stuff is liiiikely patched? It's possible their bugs may have been either reported to Nintendo, or they were just obvious enough that a quick security audit caught them. From the few technical details I've heard about some of their work (not public stuff, sorry) their holes have likely changed or have been closed since they found them. I don't actually think they themselves know any more.

rednekcowboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But yeah, f0f's stuff is liiiikely patched? It's possible their bugs may have been either reported--sold to Nintendo and ODE makers, or they were just obvious enough that a quick security audit caught them. From the few technical details I've heard about some of their work (not public stuff, sorry) their holes have likely changed or have been closed since they found them. I don't actually think they themselves know any more.

The bolded and underlined part. I don't care what Marcan and the boys say publicly. Anyone that believes their whole "curiosity" explanation, etc has blinders on. Not saying there is anything wrong with what they did, hell I would as well. I'm just sick of all the BS. At least have the cajones to own up to it.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The bolded and underlined part. I don't care what Marcan and the boys say publicly. Anyone that believes their whole "curiosity" explanation, etc has blinders on. Not saying there is anything wrong with what they did, hell I would as well. I'm just sick of all the BS. At least have the cajones to own up to it.
Um, no. You totally interpreted that wrong. My point is, some bits and pieces of what f0f used initially have since been patched. That's all. I assumed it was possible they could have reported the bugs to Nintendo because they're actually reasonable people.

Marionumber1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

fail0verflow gave the exploit to people outside of their group. So assuming that the exploit has been sold to ODE makers (which is not verified to be true), it wasn't necessarily them.

Bug_Checker_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fail0verflow gave the exploit to people outside of their group. So assuming that the exploit has been sold to ODE makers (which is not verified to be true), it wasn't necessarily them.

I just wish people would stop making up shit. It is just such a waste of time trying to correct the record.
(This is NOT directed at Marionumber1(he tries to correct misstatements nearly all the time.)

Marcan said in Nov 2013
Also, allow me to paraphrase, summarize, and anonymize an IRC conversation that I had the other day. A is another fail0verflower (who developed the exploit in question), B is a respected Wii homebrew dev with more than enough skills to work on getting Wii U homebrew started, and one of the 30-ish people whom I said have access to the Wii U mode exploit.

[referring to posts on this thread where I claimed the 30-ish people had the exploit]
<B> marcan: you never actually gave us a usable exploit
<marcan> Huh, I thought we did.
<B> I can't use it because <reasons>
<marcan> Weird, I didn't know that was the case. It's not in A's style. It should be easy to fix that problem.
<A> Actually, I fixed that months ago. I just haven't been putting any effort into this for the past year or so, and never got around to sharing the fixed version.
<A> Ah, I need to change something else now. I'll do it, but not this second.
<B> TBH, I'd rather work on <Wii stuff not related to the Wii U> first, because it annoys the shit out of me.
<marcan> Keep in mind that none of that would be useful for the Wii U.
<B> Yeah, but I keep running into it.

See? Lack of interest. B would rather be working on something else. I don't blame him. But understand that this is the pattern that I've been seeing - the general feeling that Wii U homebrew would be cool, yes, but nobody capable is motivated enough to go from "it would be cool" to "I'm going to get my hands dirty and actually get this started".

So a non complete exploit may have made its way into 30 hands(btw the ode goes back to early 2013). But as they say "Great minds think alike".
It is arrogant to believe that only someone can figure out a solution and no one else can. While software has some limits if you own the hardware (like nintendo does) they can figure everything out.
Obfuscation is introduced only to slow down Nintendo(not stop them) and to limit for profit dongle competitors (and includes softmods).

TheLoneWolfe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey guys, I was wondering about something: I don't have any plans to create an IOSU exploit (and more importantly, wouldn't have the skills to do so if I did) but I was curious (as I'm always looking to learn stuff), what would one want to read in order to learn to develop an exploit like that? There's obviously lots of material online and in books detailing kernel exploitation of open systems like Windows, Unix and OS X that I've been reading lately, but what would be a parallel to the IOSU in a modern OS like the three mentioned? If there isn't one, again, what kind of reading would be suggested?

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I was wondering about something: I don't have any plans to create an IOSU exploit (and more importantly, wouldn't have the skills to do so if I did) but I was curious (as I'm always looking to learn stuff), what would one want to read in order to learn to develop an exploit like that? There's obviously lots of material online and in books detailing kernel exploitation of open systems like Windows, Unix and OS X that I've been reading lately, but what would be a parallel to the IOSU in a modern OS like the three mentioned? If there isn't one, again, what kind of reading would be suggested?

Probably a lot of the same reading for any embedded kernel exploitation, but keep in mind that you'll need to know ARM assembly after a certain point, not just PPC asm.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I came across quite possibly a flaw in the file save system.
It appears in the black ops 2 save game file there are unencrypted commands.
pkE@$CdckQ+ this is ISDN codec. It's calling to this MP8G^B5LDIC9fGB2d|*/-
codec checking the disk for the audio..aka commanding the audio on.
&[email protected]#S this is a IBM server command.
KV#zy3;U-uk|y[ve991K]fVI0jT4ubf_hC<Y8K8d6>Xfp<F:>a3'JMhDl +iP-y- This is the disk drive key. but missing the ip from my wii u.
I think without even fully decoding the file this may be very exploitable. (since these commands are basically linux commands) Someone could probably change the ckcd to ckusb (obviously it's not called usb in the filesave) Then delete the mpfile and add an unencrypted command. I think it will execute the command.
Also it appears it is encrypting with pycrypt. So I am working on compiling a new py program to decrypt. (still gathering keys from all over the internet)
So much work to do. Anyway just thought I would update. And now back to working on this.

WulfyStylez

SALT/Bemani Princess
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KV#zy3;U-uk|y[ve991K]fVI0jT4ubf_hC<Y8K8d6>Xfp<F:>a3'JMhDl +iP-y- This is the disk drive key. but missing the ip from my wii u.
I think without even fully decoding the file this may be very exploitable. (since these commands are basically linux commands) Someone could probably change the ckcd to ckusb (obviously it's not called usb in the filesave) Then delete the mpfile and add an unencrypted command. I think it will execute the command.
Also it appears it is encrypting with pycrypt. So I am working on compiling a new py program to decrypt. (still gathering keys from all over the internet)
So much work to do. Anyway just thought I would update. And now back to working on this.

Literally everything you say is 100% out-the-ass fake, please stop. You sound like me when I was a first-grader at recess claiming I 'hacked the internet'. You're just spewing random words in hopes that maybe someone will think you know what you're doing.

No game data sits decrypted on Wii U USB storage or on eMMC. End of story.

yahoo

G͝B͢A͜t͞em҉p̡ R̨e͢g̷ul̨aŗ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol. I really hope FaTaL_ErRoR doesn't actually think these "findings" are progress of any kind.

bgonev

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of

Basicaly you are right, but for this command I think you missed:
..this is not IBM command - It's Hitachi USP9900V internal call for activating Copy On Write functionality and Storage based Replication..

Buahahahahaa :bow:...

Reactions: Brawl345 and filfat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    GOOD LORD WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THERE?!
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Aurora Borealis?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I- AURORA BOREALIS? AT THIS TIME OF YEAR, AT THIS TIME OF DAY, IN THIS PART IF THE COUNTRY, LOCALIZED ENTIRELY WITHIN YOUR KITCHEN?
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    jokes aside, anyone else who saw the northern lights tonight, what did you think, i thought they were beautiful for a while, before it went to a vague pink
    maybe later they'll pick up again
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I went out and tried to see, but I'm too south, and its too cloudy, bummer
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    too far south? it goes down to alabama tonight
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sorry about the clouds btw, the sky is clear here rn
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe just too cloudy for me then, Idk
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its neat tho, I seen it years ago when I was visiting Canada.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night