• Likes 3

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Didn't Nintendo say they had a plan already prepared where they could change like some parts of the Wii U (or change something, can't recall what) just in case the Wii U ever did get hacked?
"Hello customers, your WiiU is currently blocked because our security is crap, and we need to change stuff in your WiiU. Please send it over to Nintendo se we can patch the HAXX in it and re-send it back to you. Thanks"

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Thousands of WiiU units stolen, then this. Why do I get the feeling that those stolen Wii U units (some or all) will be used for reverse-engineering?

Also, a full hack this early in the Wii U's life is likely to dry up 3rd party devs on the Wii U. Could actually kill the console if nobody buys games for it.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Thousands of WiiU units stolen, then this. Why do I get the feeling that those stolen Wii U units (some or all) will be used for reverse-engineering?

Also, a full hack this early in the Wii U's life is likely to dry up 3rd party devs on the Wii U. Could actually kill the console if nobody buys games for it.
Nobody steals 7,000 Wii U units just so they've got some backups in case of bricking. Those Wii U's are all being sold for a profit, though a few might be used for reverse engineering.

Also, I can't see this hack drying up 3rd party devs, unless it actually leads to piracy which, knowing fail0verflow, it won't (at least not right away). There's little point speculating until we know more about it, though.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Juuuust for the record, it could be pretty easy to display whatever image you wanted on the GamePad by simply loading a Youtube video on the web browser.
Something like a minute-long still of Reggie and the fail0verflow logo, so you can look at the video and I think also hide the playback bar.

But still I'm optimistic, it took surprisingly little time to find ways to work with the Wii mode of the system. Said Wii mode does also interact with the Wii U mode in some minor ways like the Wii U Mii Maker importing Miis from the Wii's Mii Channel, or the Wii channel to return to the Wii U home menu.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
No backup loading for at least a couple years please. We don't need the console to die this early.
Just like the DS and Wii died, right?

Oh wait, they were still making record sales and getting big-name titles years after backup loading...

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 pages in and people are still saying it not real, fail0verflow are not the kinds of people to troll, it is real. These kinds of people, there life is the internet and without there internet rep, there have no life.

Also at the people who say the Wii U can't possible be hacked because it's only a month and 1 day old (as of posting), it can be because the Wii U architecture is similar to that of the Wii's unlike the 3DS which is different from the DS and that why it has taken 3 years for the 3DS to be hacked.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Also at the people who say the Wii U can't possible be hacked because it's only a month and 1 day old (as of posting)
Oh, i should probably mention that the PSP version 1.0 firmware actually had no security checks and would run homebrew straight-off.

But that was J-only, the thing had 1.50 when it shipped elsewhere. Not that that stopped the hacks...

Reactions: finkmac

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just like the DS and Wii died, right?

Oh wait, they were still making record sales and getting big-name titles years after backup loading...
Just to expand a bit furter on that thought...
e0c1F.jpg

My oh my... truly piracy made a dent on software sales, I almost feel bad for owning a flashcart...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Too bad failoverfl0w doesn't release anything for fear of being sued. Can't wait for someone else to hack it so fail0verflow can talk about how they did it first.
This is a nice (older) gesture though:
http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2012/14days.html
fail0verflow did release some ps3 stuff, they just pulled it when Sony sued. I see no reason to suggest they won't release WiiU stuff.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
http://i.imgur.com/e0c1F.jpg?1

My oh my... truly piracy made a dent on software sales, I almost feel bad for owning a flashcart...
Given "Axis Title" and the JPEG artifacting I'm going to want source on that one. :P

But we know that piracy doesn't equal the money of "a lost sale" (I still find that term funny) anyways.

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
e0c1F.jpg

There's only one thing I don't like about this forum and that's all the official idiots, that are on here. To you official people, people pirate games fucking live with it. If you have a problem with it buy your fucking games and stop trying to force your ideas on to others, I don't care if you think it morally wrong, that's your problem.

Another thing illegal downloads are not 1:1, just because new super mario bros was downloaded 1,455,577 times does not mean nintendo lost 1,455,577 retail sales. Among that 1,455,577: were people who were never going to buy new super mario bros in the first place, people who could not afford to buy it, etc. Another example there's people out there who downloaded every DS game, these people would similar not have the money to buy every game on the DS, so it not a sale loss.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Let me finish do the harder drugs