OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.nfsgaming.com
XP
Country
Hey guys,
I was wondering, if in the future, it will be possible to emulate the Wii - U?

like, will it be possible to use a wii u game pad with a PC?

thanks,
S0NlC1

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
Ignoring the emulation question for obvious reasons, but your second question is reasonable to answer.

We are able to use Wiimotes on the PC via Bluetooth, so the Gamepad as a controller may not be too far off. However, don't expect video/audio streaming to the Gamepad as soon.

Rockhoundhigh

Man with a mission
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt Nintendo would ever make their APIs public for PC devs to use anytime soon (maybe if a Kinect-like situation happens but I doubt it). As for the emulation question, really, already? In all seriousness though I would say not anytime soon especially in a playable state.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if it does get emulated just look at the wii a low end crappy AMD can run most titles nowadys.... also the awesome speculation that the wii U is less powerful than current gen consoles if frikkin laughable!!!!!!!

qwerty5alive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii Emulation and HomeBrew took a while but it happened faster then most because it was basically a GameCube. The Wii U, does not have the GameCube compatibility so Speculating on Home Brew or emulation is just that speculation. That said, The Wii-U is backwards compatible with most Wii titles that are not running off of the GameCube devkit. I am scared to think that Twilight princess might not work on a Wii U because of this fact and its one of the only Wii games I own... :( sad day...

Upside, Wii controllers work on the Wii U and they Store Data that works on the Wii U for mii's This might be a back back door needed to push home brew in but remember HomeBrew Dev, and making homebrew applications with no hardware is pointless and kinda funny... If you don't know how the hardware and software runs and you can't tweak the code, how can you develop for it?

Steps to HomeBrew

1. have system and break it open!
2. Be able to debug code while system is running (on wii this was done through Gamecube memory card slots)
3. Hex edit a game while running(change values like exp, health, money, etc...)
4. Write application in edited coded information on savefile in game.
A. Before writing an application, you need to figure out how the processor runs data through the system and writes data that is compatible with how the processor operates.
(There is a reason that Mac switched to Intel kiddies! That said, Unity, has a development tool for Wii U. You might say, create what ever homebrew boot app you want in Unity? Sorry, you are not aloud to have it. Read this http://unity3d.com/unity/multiplatform/consoles)
5. After you are able to get an application to run like Hello WOrld, Get a small small operating system to run like some distro of Linux but doesnt have to be linux mind you.... just easier people love porting it!

So if you did't read anything else.... Read this... Talking about homebrew on the Wii U is fun but pointless till some one can get there hands on a system and crack it open.

Reactions: Satangel

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't mind seeing some one make a PC driver for the Wii-U pad. That could be kind of cool.

It might also be impossible depending on what kind of hardware does the actual wireless mambo with the Wii-U. If it's some sort of custom cooked BT chip that could completely put the kibosh on any sort of PC to Wii-U pad loving.

Homebrew on the Wii-U would be pretty sweet on oh so many levels.

Emulation of the Wii-U will take an extremely long time, as systems become more and more complex it takes more and more raw power to emulate them. Adding into all this is that it is taking longer and longer to get emulation into a playable state.

Edit: My rough estimate for emulating the Wii-U in some sort of playable state? at least 10 years baring some sort of breakthrough.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
XFlak and I have been working very hard on this and we were going to keep it a secret, but we are now beta testing our wii u emulator that is written entirely in batch files. It so far works with all of the released titles with only a few of them having minor graphical issues. We expect a full release in 1 more week.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
XFlak and I have been working very hard on this and we were going to keep it a secret, but we are now beta testing our wii u emulator that is written entirely in batch files. It so far works with all of the released titles with only a few of them having minor graphical issues. We expect a full release in 1 more week.
Since it's batch files it'll run on windows 95, right?

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are you going to release an iPhone version? Please for the love of God say yes!!!!

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm going to ignore the whole "it isn't out yet" thing and focus on the purely speculative case of "what if all the technical knowhow somehow became public and a brilliant team of coders pop up from out of nowhere"...

The interesting thing is...if you've got a gamepad, you might just as well use the console as well. It probably won't be that hard to use a PC monitor instead of a television.

It's emulating WITHOUT a gamepad that would be interesting. And very hard, or even impossible. Suppose you get a tablet. Then you'll have to put the screen in the middle, and the controller keys mapped aside it. But that's not really convenient because you'll often won't be watching that tablet (it would be very easy to miss a keypress if your fingers can't feel the press in the first place).
On the other hand, using something like a xperia play might work...but the screen is probably too small.

So in the end, quite some games will have to rely on the gamepad pro settings.

...of course, all this is theoretically. All the above all hinges on the best case scenario.

qwerty5alive

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine, PSX and N64 emulators that are up-to-date and run at full speed!

Oh, I'm not trying to bait the WiiSX team at all, no, not me

LOL an emulator for the ps1 came out when the ps1 first came out Bleem! and ran all games at full frame rate on my old windows 98 p1..... LOL! They just got sued all to hell... Its not to hard to make emulation if you have the know how... Its hard to make it happen and make it were you don't get sued all to hell... LOL!

HorreC

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont mind me trying to get some info here, but dosent the game pad use NFC? Meaning that we might be able to use a S3 or something to force feed the video and audio?

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Dont mind me trying to get some info here, but dosent the game pad use NFC? Meaning that we might be able to use a S3 or something to force feed the video and audio?
It doesn't use NFC to receive video and audio, as NFC works over very short distances only.

Based on the reports I've seen, the Wii U GamePad latency is very low (1/60th of a second, according to Ubisoft). This means that most ordinary PCs are unlikely to contain the technology used to communicate with it. The technology could be completely proprietary, or based on an existing technology licensed from another company. WiDi/Miracast is high latency and WirelessHD requires line of sight (and is a bit overkill, since the GamePad isn't HD), so that rules those two out. WHDI can do ~1ms latency, which is quite a bit lower than 1/60th of a second. Wikipedia claims it's based on IEEE 802.11, which is possible, but I think very few wireless chipsets will be able to communicate with the GamePad, just like DS Download Play.

tl;dr no, I don't think many of us will be able to stream audio and video to the GamePad.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL an emulator for the ps1 came out when the ps1 first came out Bleem! and ran all games at full frame rate on my old windows 98 p1..... LOL! They just got sued all to hell... Its not to hard to make emulation if you have the know how... Its hard to make it happen and make it were you don't get sued all to hell... LOL!

The company won all the lawsuits actually, but all the legal fees killed them and went out of business. The Wii could handle PSX games well for the most part, but the team responsible hasn't updated the emulator in a long time and I doubt we'll ever see a new release. They got sued because they tried to legalize commercial emulation on a PC, something Sony wasn't too fond of, so if you don't want to get sued, don't make your emulators commercial, problem solved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.