• Replies 138
  • Likes 1

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii u is on the controller... They might not change the name after all.
They could have keep the + and - where they where,but whatever.
Don't you hate when you hit like by mistaken?

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
They could have keep the + and - where they where,but whatever.
Don't you hate when you hit like by mistaken?
There are still many things that are not yet unveiled to developers due to Nintendo's fear of stuff getting leaked, only close companies like Capcom know the specifics in advance.
We don't know the age of that controller and what version of dev kid it was included with.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
We don't know the age of that controller and what version of dev kid it was included with.
It's the latest one or at least one of the newer ones (read the tweet).

They weren't going to change the name, anyways. They already filed a bunch of trademarks with Wii U.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I was referring to the newest one available to third parties. There are many things still not reveled to western devs, as people in the know has said before, third parties are the last people to find out when changes are done.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that "those who have played it" say its really comfy but the stick placement just doesn't look like it will be...but its Nintendo so I'll wait until I hold one.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
I was referring to the newest one available to third parties. There are many things still not reveled to western devs, as people in the know has said before third parties are the last people to know when changes are done.
The controller is pretty much finalized right now. The final one isn't going to look different than that (except for some really minor changes). The only major differences the newer devkits have are some adjustments to the console itself. Oh and he does work for a third-party (TT Games).

inb4 the controller has a 640x480 single-touch screen
It's 854x480 resistive which is just fine.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It should be resistive and not capacitive, multi touch would be useless and stylus controls are more precise for gaming.
Like drawing apps and stuff, for normal gaming the bottom screen would most likely be used for quick inventory access, maps etc.
A capacitive screen would be a waste of money in this case, the thing has buttons unlike a smartphone. The main reason to why smarphones have capacitive touch screens is not because of multitouch, it's because they want a screen that is able to respond to your fat thumb when making a call using the on-screen numerical keys while on the go.

third parties are the last people to find out when changes are done.
Depends on the 3rd party. I'm pretty sure Ubisoft has the latest kit seeing they're on great terms with Nintendo. Also TT are making LEGO City Stories an exclusive for Wii U so depends on how big Nintendo sees that title.

From what the devs have been saying, Nintendo are very open to 3rd party devs now, they've taken in a lot of feedback and they really want the Wii U to get off to a good start so I can easily see big companies and devs to get the latest kit.
Still, there are things that are sealed away until E3 due to fear of leaks.

Reactions: 1 person

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
third parties are the last people to find out when changes are done.
Depends on the 3rd party. I'm pretty sure Ubisoft has the latest kit seeing they're on great terms with Nintendo. Also TT are making LEGO City Stories an exclusive for Wii U so depends on how big Nintendo sees that title.

From what the devs have been saying, Nintendo are very open to 3rd party devs now, they've taken in a lot of feedback and they really want the Wii U to get off to a good start so I can easily see big companies and devs to get the latest kit.

Reactions: 2 people

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It should be resistive and not capacitive, multi touch would be useless and stylus controls are more precise for gaming.

Disagree. Multitouch useless? It offers more potential and make things easier to use. Multimedia functions would be more seamless such as browsing the web. You can come up with a alot more gameplay ideas such as puzzles that involve mutitouch--say opening a secret door by playing multiple piano notes at once (for some this could feel more rewarding then just tapping a note at a time) Plus, with by combining notes, it offers different sounds. Just look at app games just uses multitouch. Also, the wiiu has a big screen unlike a 3ds screen. being precise isn't that much of an issue since the screen is big. And if you are still not convinced, there are stylus made for capacitive screens as well. Nintendo could do this if they want, switch to capacitive and use a capacitive stylus. The only downside I see is that capacitive screens are more expensive than resistive screens.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I think I can live with the new stick placement... I still hate the "right analog above buttons" layout, but at least it's arranged in a more comfortable and natural way than directly above the X button.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Disagree. Multitouch useless? It offers more potential and make things easier to use. Multimedia functions would be more seamless such as browsing the web. You can come up with a alot more gameplay ideas such as puzzles that involve mutitouch--say opening a secret door by playing multiple piano notes at once (for some this could feel more rewarding then just tapping a note at a time) Plus, with by combining notes, it offers different sounds. Just look at app games just uses multitouch. Also, the wiiu has a big screen unlike a 3ds screen. being precise isn't that much of an issue since the screen is big. And if you are still not convinced, there are stylus made for capacitive screens as well. Nintendo could do this if they want, switch to capacitive and use a capacitive stylus. The only downside I see is that capacitive screens are more expensive than resistive screens.
Musical notes? In other words useless. Besides there's a patent that states that the controller isn't limited to single touch even though it's resistive.

I'm not saying that one is that much better than the other, I'm saying that they both get the job done except that both have their god and bad points. A capacitive is better suited when you're on the go and need a reliable screen that responds when typing with your thumb.
A drawing application for example requires pixel perfect precision, there's a reason to why colors! is better on the 3DS than on the iPhone.
Also a capacitive stylus have a much bigger tip and are more expensive to produce than normal plastic styluses.

It's about priority and if you ask me I would rather prioritize price, precision and the feel of feedback you get from actually pressing the screen.
More than some small minigame possibility you get because of it being multitouch.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have address three things in your post. Wouldn't it need to be more precise since they most likely fit as much as they can't on the controller and a game may require preciseness in gameplay regardless how big the screen is.Controller probably already relatively cost a lot already, that would be even more money to the console. Last, I be stuck with one kinda stylus when normally I could use anyone.

I for one don't like the name "U-mote" That would imply it's shaped like a TV remote, ala Wii remote.

I shall from here on in be using the word "Wiiblet".
*Nintendo announces universal remote app.
:P

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Musical notes? In other words useless. Besides there's a patent that states that the controller isn't limited to single touch even though it's resistive.

I'm not saying that one is that much better than the other, I'm saying that they both get the job done except that both have their god and bad points. A capacitive is better suited when you're on the go and need a reliable screen that responds when typing with your thumb.
A drawing application for example requires pixel perfect, there's a reason to why colors! is better on the 3DS than on the iPhone.
Also a capacitive stylus have a much bigger tip and are more expensive to produce than normal plastic styluses.

It's about priority and if you ask me I would rather prioritize price, precision and the feel of feedback you get from actually pressing the screen.
I would much rather have that than some small minigame possibility.

It's just gave an idea. And i don't think it's useless. Zelda games uses lots of musical notes and multitouch on musical notes can make the game feel better. I'm sure there are lots of other better ideas if you look in the apps store or play store. Anyways, most ds games can easily be used with a capacitive screen. A drawing app could still work on the wiiu. just zoom out and in and use a capacitive stylus. Yea, I seen the bigger tips but it depends how they make it. The samsung note stylus has a pretty small tip. Probably just as small as the 3ds tip. But costs are more though. But alot more?--don't know really know these details. I say capacitive screens are precise enough and offer more potential. Still, I bet Nintendo is gonna stick with resistive in the end since its cheap technology.

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have address three things in your post. Wouldn't it need to be more precise since they most likely fit as much as they can't on the controller and a game may require preciseness in gameplay regardless how big the screen is.Controller probably already relatively cost a lot already, that would be even more money to the console. Last, I be stuck with one kinda stylus when normally I could use anyone.

I'm guessing your first point is saying that there so much stuff of the screen that pinpoint accuracy is needed? I don't know....never seen that happen before. Plus a capacitive stylus would be efficient enough. Your point about controller cost is valid and I agree. Your final point is just nitpicking. There's boud to be third party stylus if for some reason you don't want to use the included stylus. If you don't want to use the stylus then just use your finger; being an owner of a smartphone for the past few months, its plenty accurate and a breeze to use. Although drawing on drawsomething was a pain in the rear. However a bigger screen made things much easier for that game.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
The samsung note stylus has a pretty small tip. Probably just as small as the 3ds tip. But costs are more though. But alot more?--don't know really know these details. I say capacitive screens are precise enough and offer more potential. Still, I bet Nintendo is gonna stick with resistive in the end since its cheap technology.
The samsung note uses a completely different technology that isn't used in any common device due to the costs it takes to produce. That's why they manage to have a small tip.
The Wii U controller is still pretty small you know.

phantastic91

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The samsung note stylus has a pretty small tip. Probably just as small as the 3ds tip. But costs are more though. But alot more?--don't know really know these details. I say capacitive screens are precise enough and offer more potential. Still, I bet Nintendo is gonna stick with resistive in the end since its cheap technology.
The samsung note uses a completely different technology that isn't used in any common device due to the costs it takes to produce. That's why they manage to have a small tip.
The Wii U controller is still pretty small you know.

wow I didn't know that! I guess if we want a small tip, then I wouldn't mind a multitouch resistive screen as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2