Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

I'm considering getting a Wii (actually, considerating is the understatement of the year) and like to play it on my Dell 20" LCD monitor. Will I be able to play my Wii on my monitor, I'm certain I'll need to purchase some sort of cables though, right?

Just thought I'd ask, thanks for anyone who answers constructively.

lookout

GBAtemp Board Room
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I Using 24" widescreen Dell it has Analog DVI-D (Digital) with HDCP / S-Video / Composite / Component.

I know there a VGA adaptor converter around but it very expensive
+ it don't look very good on some monitor screen...

Mchart

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can purchase component/s-video/composite video to DVI or VGA converters, unfortunatly they are fairly expensive. Most are in the 200-300 dollar range.

CacheSyntax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
According to this page it does!

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/product...19&sku=320-4688
biggrin.gif

Sweet. Thanks for your input!

ShortFuse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get a component to vga agapter for about $50. that what i have. it only does 480p/720p/1080i. no 480i, but wii can run on 480p always, not like the cube where you have to hold down B before every game. if you get an composite/svideo/component to 480i/480p converter, you're talking about $130 minimum

CacheSyntax

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
you can get a component to vga agapter for about $50. that what i have. it only does 480p/720p/1080i. no 480i, but wii can run on 480p always, not like the cube where you have to hold down B before every game. if you get an composite/svideo/component to 480i/480p converter, you're talking about $130 minimum

See above. My monitor has all those features built in.

Caydr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Get a Gamebridge 1410, they're great. It's an external TV tuner with s-video or coax input and plugs in via USB 2.0. Lets you record yourself playing games and stuff too... Like $50.

martin88

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can just get a TV Card, they usually can accept input from components or S-Video. I recommand Winfast's TV2000.

RockingDude

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gamebridge's usually go for $20 on woot.com when they're there. If you need any cables/adaptors, one of the cheapest places is monoprice.com, like dvi to component is about $10 unlike Mchart's estimate of 200-300!
smile.gif

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD (with Composite/S-Video connections) and the Wii looks spectacular on it, if I do say so myself.
smile.gif

Thanks boss, this is what I wanted to hear!

How do you have the audio hooked up? into a sub then speakers? I kind of wanted to use headphones while playing.

I have the audio hooked into my Creative X-Fi Platinum..5.1 surround.
biggrin.gif
It's fantastic. Oh yes, and the sensor bar fits on top of the monitor just fine.
smile.gif

ugly_rose

Trophies
XP
Country
But you don't have component, meaning you can't play in 480p mode right? I suspect a component -> VGA/DVI converter takes away too much quality.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I just got myself an 27 "HD LCD television, from Westinhouse at Best buy($699), with VGA input and also s-video and composite input, but I'm not quite happy, because the reaction time of the display seem to be too slow for me, making fast moving images a little blurry.
Since it also has 2 little dead pixel(barely noticeable) I'm thinking about returning it, spendig extra $200 and get a better one by Philips or Samsung.
It also had to be said that I don't own composite video cables for the Wii yet, as they are not officially on sale yet.
What do you guys think, should I return it, or wait one more week and see what does it look like with component video cables ?
Please give me your opinion because I am seriously thinking of returning it, (mostly for the slow response times ), and it's quite havy to carry down !

animalsex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got myself an 27 "HD LCD television, from Westinhouse at Best buy($699), with VGA input and also s-video and composite input, but I'm not quite happy, because the reaction time of the display seem to be too slow for me, making fast moving images a little blurry.
Since it also has 2 little dead pixel(barely noticeable) I'm thinking about returning it, spendig extra $200 and get a better one by Philips or Samsung.
It also had to be said that I don't own composite video cables for the Wii yet, as they are not officially on sale yet.
What do you guys think, should I return it, or wait one more week and see what does it look like with component video cables ?
Please give me your opinion because I am seriously thinking of returning it, (mostly for the slow response times ), and it's quite havy to carry down !

What is the response time on it? My computer LCD has an 11ms response time and it is 4 years old. I have no ghosting at all..

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

What is the response time on it? My computer LCD has an 11ms response time and it is 4 years old. I have no ghosting at all..

THIS would be the one I got, but without the mail-in rabate !! I am mad!
It says ultrafast 8ms response time, it's supposed to be good, maybe I am too difficult ? Sill images are great by the way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'd consider Chromebooks an Android PC. +1