kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Cyan, check out this screenshot
https://gyazo.com/aaa02f3f2f4011e3a569673db348d8e3
It was the second link (links were not in order)

He had CIOS 249 d2x v6 base 37. I mean, I'd suggest he install v8 base 56 (or 57), but in any case you've clearly/thankfully taken point on this issue so I will leave next steps up to you

Where do I install that? into 249 or 57 or what?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

loader IOS to 249 : good
game IOS to 249 : good
you didn't follow what I told you. I asked you to tell me what you read on the credit page.

You know, it's really hard to help someone who only does half the suggestion and requests, or doesn't report what we need, or try things in advance thinking they know better and they don't need to wait for further instructions before doing anything else.

I did tell you..

"

It says "rev1268 IOS58 (rev6176) +AHB

Iv'e installed what you said twice now although I wasn't sure if I had to highlight the specific IOS or just press A.

If it matters on D2X installer it says "Current IOS: 58 v6176""

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I did tell you..

It says "rev1268 IOS58 (rev6176) +AHB
then you did something wrong.
if like you said the loader is using IOS249 ... it shouldn't tell you it's using IOS58.
don't you notice a problem here? 249 is not 58

I'm asking you to report the credit info AFTER using slot249 and rebooting the loader.
if you still have IOS58 in the credit page AFTER setting 249 in the settings, it means your console setup is wrong.

But it seems what I'm trying to let you install, you already have it installed in slot 250.
so, instead of 249, use 250 in both loader's IOS and game's IOS settings and reboot the loader.

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
then you did something wrong.
if like you said the loader is using IOS249 ... it shouldn't tell you it's using IOS58.
don't you notice a problem here? 249 is not 58

I'm asking you to report the credit info AFTER using slot249 and rebooting the loader.
if you still have IOS58 in the credit page AFTER setting 249 in the settings, it means your console setup is wrong.

I switched it to slot 249 but once I reboot my wii, go back to USB loader GX, but everytime I go back in the loader IOS goes back to 58. How do I make it stay to 249?

I'll do it again:

Rev1268
IOS58(rev 6176) +AHB

So how do I change that?

Last edited by kbf,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
is it automatically back to 58 only in the credit page, or also in the settings?
maybe your SD card is in read only ? (if you have the homebrew on SD card)

the setting is saved when exiting the loader. if it's reset when launching it back, it means the setting wasn't written properly (sd protected, or maybe another problem I don't think about)

Oh, how are you launching the loader ?
from HBC ? Priiloader ? full Channel ? Forwarder channel ?

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
is it automatically back to 58 only in the credit page, or also in the settings?
maybe your SD card is in read only ? (if you have the homebrew on SD card)

I'm using a 2TB HDD, it used to work fine before. I have a small section that's fat32 for WII games as I heard you need a fat32 partition for them to work.

In the dsx slot map for IOS 249 it says: IOS249 rev21008 > v8 d2x-v8-final base37 rev21008

Last edited by kbf,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
still doesn't answer my question. Or you expect me to make supposition.

Is your homebrew /apps/ folder on SD or USB ?
telling me you use a HDD doesn't tell me if you use an SD card or not to store your homebrew boot.dol files.

how are you launching the loader ?
from HBC ? Priiloader ? full Channel ? Forwarder channel ? which version of the forwarder channel? (if you followed my guide, it should be forwarder v5.1 and USBGX1268)

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

telling me you use a HDD doesn't tell me if you use an SD card or not.

It's on my HDD so I guess that counts as USB right? and yes I have both an apps folder on the NTFS partition AND the fat32 partition just in case.

Look at my previous post, I put what was in the 249 slot map if that matters.

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

telling me you use a HDD doesn't tell me if you use an SD card or not to store your homebrew boot.dol files.

how are you launching the loader ?
from HBC ? Priiloader ? full Channel ? Forwarder channel ? which version of the forwarder channel? (if you followed my guide, it should be forwarder v5.1 and USBGX1268)

Just from HBC like I said I didn't have issues until my HDD was having problems. emulators are working fine.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Just from HBC like I said I didn't have issues until my HDD was having problems. emulators are working fine.

"you messed your install, you were supposed to install base57, not 37." my bad, i'll try this now and see what happens.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, then from HBC it's fine.
I don't know why it reverts back to 58. Maybe because the HDD is not detected .... and if your homebrew are on HDD then it's hard for it to load the settings if it can't mount the HDD :/
but I think the loader should still load 249 if present, not 58, if there's no settings found, unless your meta.xml has IOS58 defined in it, and it's write protected, and the setting can't be found at boot due to HDD not found.

I recommend you use an SD card to put your homebrew on it.
use the HDD only to store the games, not the homebrew data.
SD will always be detected properly, and settings will always be found and used like you set.

really, I often recommend users to have a dedicated SD card for all homebrew, but they often wonder why and tell me there's no reason to do it. I think your problem might be one of the reason.

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, then from HBC it's fine.
I don't know why it reverts back to 58. Maybe because the HDD is not detected .... and if your homebrew are on HDD then it's hard for it to load the settings if it can't mount the HDD :/
but I think the loader should still load 249 if present, not 58, if there's no settings found, unless your meta.xml has IOS58 defined in it, and it's write protected, and the setting can't be found at boot due to HDD not found.

I recommend you use an SD card to put your homebrew on it.
use the HDD only to store the games, not the homebrew data.
SD will always be detected properly, and settings will always be found and used like you set.

really, I often recommend users to have a dedicated SD card for all homebrew, but they often wonder why and tell me there's no reason to do it. I think your problem might be one of the reason.

it used to work just fine without though, that's what bothers me...

Regardless iv'e moved everything to an SD card now, MY GAMES SHOW UP. But when clicking on it it's still going back to the HBC?

EDIT: It's now using IOS249 in the credits so that's good, the banners are now working for wii games but clicking them still boots me back to the HBC please help.

Last edited by kbf,

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, good, we are making progress :)

I understand what you say, it used to work so it's strange it doesn't anymore.
we'll need to find the reason.
but, first, we needed a working setup to get a "base" for our tests.

now, the loader works, with proper settings loaded.
we can focus on the HDD compatibility now.

returning to HBC or system menu is caused by "game not found".
based on what you said, I'd say the problem is likely "hdd not found" or not compatible with the cIOS.
A lot of user have the HDD initialization issue, and using IOS58 is a solution. But I think your problem is different.

if the problem was the cIOS + HDD combo, it would not load at all. But your current setup with SD card proves the HDD can be detected and mounted when using cIOS 249, you don't need IOS58.
So, if the problem is not the cIOS or the HDD itself, I think the problem could be the game files. I know it used to work, so it's really strange it's not working anymore, but we will check your hdd's content.

I guess you properly plugged it in port 0 now (bottom port), and your drive has enough power (ycable or externally powered if needed).

Could you tell me what is the path of a game ?
pick a random game, and tell me the full path up to the .wbfs file.
it's maybe good, but I'd like to verify to be sure.

while you are looking at your drive, verify the .wbfs file is not set to "read only" mode. it usually freeze on blackscreen, instead of exiting to hbc, but let's check it too, to narrow the problem and exclude its possibility.

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, good, we are making progress :)

I understand what you say, it used to work so it's strange it doesn't anymore.
we'll need to find the reason.
but, first, we needed a working setup to get a "base" for our tests.

now, the loader works, with proper settings loaded.
we can focus on the HDD compatibility now.

returning to HBC or system menu is caused by "game not found".
based on what you said, I'd say the problem is likely "hdd not found" or not compatible with the cIOS.
A lot of user have the HDD detection issue, and using IOS58 is a solution. But I think your problem is different.

if the problem was the cIOS + HDD combo, it would not load at all. But your current setup with SD card proves it can be detected when using cIOS.
So, if the problem is not the cIOS or the HDD itself, I think the problem could be the game files. I know it used to work, so it's really strange it's not working anymore, but we will check your hdd's content.

Could you tell me what is the path of a game ?
pick a random game, and tell me the full path up to the .wbfs file.
it's maybe good, but I'd like to verify to be sure.

while you are looking at your drive, verify the .wbfs file is not set to "read only" mode. it usually freeze on blackscreen, instead of exiting to hbc, but let's check it too, to narrow the problem and exclude its possibility.

I think i'm just gonna use my SD card as it's easier and it's actually working. Only issue is my games booting back to HBC now. my gamecube/emulators work fine.

Iv'e tried renaming the file path, are wii games suppose to be in a seperate sub folder in the WBFS folder?

EDIT: It does seem it was set to read only (the wbfs folder not the game) I have tried renaming the game multiple times with no luck so i'm gonna take off the read only for the wbfs folder and try again.

https://gyazo.com/a427723c8065d9914fe7fe74ef97f6f6

Is this the right file structure for wii games?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, this is your problem.
the loader doesn't launch the game because it can't find the file to load.

gamecube games are supposed to be in /games/ folder
wii games are supposed to be in /wbfs/ folder

inside these folder, you create another subfolder with the game's title, and game's ID.
gamecube filename must be "game.iso", wii games must use TitleID, like this :

zelda gamecube :
usb:/games/Zelda wind waker [GZLP01]/game.iso

New super mario Wii :
usb:/wbfs/New super Mario Wii [SNMP01]/SNMP01.wbfs

the wii game should have only the TitleID, not the game's title in it.

if you don't know or want to rename all your games one by one, you can follow this guide to rename all Wii games in few seconds !
https://gbatemp.net/posts/7592791

be sure you don't put gamecube games in your /wbfs/ folder, or the loader will also not work.
Sorry, I don't have a guide or link to do the same for gamecube games.
you'll have to rename all the games one by one manually.

if you have a game with multiple disc, like Tales of symphonia, the second disc is named "disc2.iso" and placed in the same folder than "game.iso"

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok, this is your problem.
the loader doesn't launch the game because it can't find the file to load.

gamecube games are supposed to be in /games/ folder
wii games are supposed to be in /wbfs/ folder

inside these folder, you create another subfolder with the game's title, and game's ID.
gamecube filename must be "game.iso", wii games must use TitleID, like this :

zelda gamecube :
usb:/games/Zelda wind waker [GZLP01]/game.iso

New super mario Wii :
usb:/wbfs/New super Mario Wii [SNMP01]/SNMP01.wbfs

the wii game should have only the TitleID, not the game's title in it.

if you don't know or want to rename all your games one by one, you can follow this guide to rename all Wii games in few seconds !
https://gbatemp.net/posts/7592791

be sure you don't put gamecube games in your /wbfs/ folder, or the loader will also not work.
Sorry, I don't have a guide or link to do the same for gamecube games.
you'll have to rename all the games one by one manually.

if you have a game with multiple disc, like Tales of symphonia, the second disc is named "disc2.iso" and placed in the same folder than "game.iso"

Is this right? it's still booting me to the HBC:

https://gyazo.com/fdbed9716124643f700e4258df7afca2

https://gyazo.com/fc9099676d417432051c2adc427b259e

the wbfs folder is on the root of the HDD.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
ciso is not compatible. (no idea why it wasn't added to USBLoaderGX)
you need to convert the game to wbfs, using Wii Backup Manager.

copy the ciso to your PC (if you don't have it already)
then follow the guide I posted to "install" the game to your HDD. It will convert the ciso to wbfs.

Last edited by Cyan,

kbf

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ciso is not compatible.
you need to convert the game to wbfs, using Wii Backup Manager.

copy the ciso to your PC (if you don't have it already)
then follow the guide I posted to "install" the game to your HDD. It will convert the ciso to wbfs.

I thought WBFS format wasn't used anymore and it was considered a bad idea to keep using it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I thought it was the toilet
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    okies. Time to go watch YT paranormal ghost things. L8er my luvs :D
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a massive clue
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this mf def ain't watching ghost shit, he boutta beat his meat fr
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah he's about to be the ghost in your bedroom
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:

this is him being described
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I dislike the kind of drm where you have to play single player games online all the time bc of some verification bs
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Don't use games that have Easy Anti-Cheat as its been exploited many times.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, my PC can't run most AAA games so i wont
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Most of the modern AAA games
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I also heard one of the Prince of Persia games was so unfinished that it required the "24/7 online" drm so a puzzle could be done and the game could be finished. And that when the Ubisoft servers were closed the (cracked) game was impossible to finish or something like that
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, That's extra scummy. Ubisoft nowadays ship out incomplete games like Skull and Bones which was being worked on for nearly a decade now.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, i think they have been doing that since late 2000s
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I like that games can be fixed after the fact, hate that it's being abused via beta tests... And DLC... I was a 7800 owner back in the day and loved Impossible Mission, turns out I couldn't beat it because it was actually impossible lol
    I never knew about it at the time but a fixed version was available but you had to mail in your broken copy lol
    So that version is semi rare
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, I have a rom of the ds version of impossible mission