Wii #2021 - Ivy the Kiwi? (Japan)

highanimalhouse

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the art style from the preview I saw -- reminds me of English children's literature like Wind in the Willows or Winnie the Pooh.

The problem is this game won't come out in the US

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
referencer said:
RockmanForte said:
Why do you say that ? It's because you don't realize what you're saying is offensive. you describe something as gay because "being gay" to you is a bad thing, so you use on something you find negative.
He says that because "gay" is a word that has evolved several times over the years and is now commonly used to signify something negative, without any offense to homosexuals. This is the evolution of language; you're going to have to learn to deal with it.

QUOTE(Gwaith @ Apr 21 2010, 08:32 PM)
Oh boy, I guess you never watched the south park episodes where they start calling the motorbike gang faggots without any intention of declaring them homosexual.

There you go I even looked up the episode for you: Here at Wikipedia

Watch it and ruminate about it
wink.gif
I've watched that episode, and their excuse is the same as referencer's above. Problem is, it's bullshit. Yes, meanings change over time, but "gay" and "faggot" still refer to homosexuality in modern English and everyone who uses these words as general-purpose derogatory terms knows perfectly well that they do. Whereas no one uses them to mean "happy" or "bundle of sticks" any more. Hell, in the case of "gay" it's the most common word. Anyone who knows what homosexuality is knows that "gay" refers to it. So what you're doing here, when you call a game or a movie or a car "gay", is playing on an innate assumption that gay people are inferior to the rest of society by associating them with something else you consider inferior. And I'm supposed to accept that because you try to justify your prejudices by trotting out the same old shit about how language evolves? Or (to probably misquote Simon Amstell) should I just Jew off and stop being so bloody black about it?

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
RockmanForte said:
VashTS said:
that game is GAY.

Why do you say that ? It's because you don't realize what you're saying is offensive.

When in the context of this game, I think it could be considered a compliment to gay people everywhere!

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bollocks said:
I've watched that episode, and their excuse is the same as referencer's above. Problem is, it's bullshit. Yes, meanings change over time, but "gay" and "faggot" still refer to homosexuality in modern English and everyone who uses these words as general-purpose derogatory terms knows perfectly well that they do.
Yeah, and so? When I say "that's lame," no one takes it to mean that I'm saying people with disabilities are shit. When I say "that sucks," no one takes it to mean that I'm implying that whatever I'm talking about literally displaces air by means of a vacuum, or that doing so is some kind of negative trait. When I say "copemate," no one knows what the fuck I'm talking about. That's the beauty of English: one word can have multiple definitions that are entirely separate in meaning from themselves, and, excepting hypersensitive dipshits who seek to protect everyone from some kind of perceived offense, there's no problem with this.

Stop being such a faggot.
lolitrollu.gif

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
The box art is beautiful! I'd buy it just for that! haha, was there a DS game for this as well? Never heard of it
smile.gif
I'll have to check it out then

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
referencer said:
That's the beauty of English: one word can have multiple definitions that are entirely separate in meaning from themselves
But they're not entirely separate. The derogatory usage of "gay" comes directly from its meaning as "homosexual". And I'm pretty sure anyone who isn't just being wilfully ignorant is aware of that.
QUOTEhypersensitive dipshits who seek to protect everyone from some kind of perceived offense
Hi. I'm gay. I find that offensive. I know plenty of other gay people who do too. There's nothing perceived about it.

Jeda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Wow it uses like two colors
rolleyes.gif

Loved canvas curse and this one appears to have nice gameplay as well, but seriously it looks as if it was filmed on my old broken TV

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game has the horrible cute thing going on in spades but the gameplay looks really good.
It reminds me of Alfred Chicken and Kirby Canvas Curse combined.
Worth a try I'd say.
But you might want to put on some anti-cute factor sunglasses.

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bollocks said:
But they're not entirely separate. The derogatory usage of "gay" comes directly from its meaning as "homosexual". And I'm pretty sure anyone who isn't just being wilfully ignorant is aware of that.And? If you've ever studied etymology, plenty of common words find their roots in horrible depraved shit. Being gay was once globally considered a bad thing, so the word developed from that. Now it's not, and the definition used now doesn't have anything to do with homosexuality. A word's history doesn't matter, only its meaning.

QUOTE(bollocks @ Apr 21 2010, 04:18 PM) Hi. I'm gay. I find that offensive. I know plenty of other gay people who do too. There's nothing perceived about it.
Ah, well then just leave "hypersensitive dipshits" and take away the other part.

luigimania

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bollocks said:
referencer said:
RockmanForte said:
Why do you say that ? It's because you don't realize what you're saying is offensive. you describe something as gay because "being gay" to you is a bad thing, so you use on something you find negative.
He says that because "gay" is a word that has evolved several times over the years and is now commonly used to signify something negative, without any offense to homosexuals. This is the evolution of language; you're going to have to learn to deal with it.

QUOTE(Gwaith @ Apr 21 2010, 08:32 PM)
Oh boy, I guess you never watched the south park episodes where they start calling the motorbike gang faggots without any intention of declaring them homosexual.

There you go I even looked up the episode for you: Here at Wikipedia

Watch it and ruminate about it
wink.gif
I've watched that episode, and their excuse is the same as referencer's above. Problem is, it's bullshit. Yes, meanings change over time, but "gay" and "faggot" still refer to homosexuality in modern English and everyone who uses these words as general-purpose derogatory terms knows perfectly well that they do. Whereas no one uses them to mean "happy" or "bundle of sticks" any more. Hell, in the case of "gay" it's the most common word. Anyone who knows what homosexuality is knows that "gay" refers to it. So what you're doing here, when you call a game or a movie or a car "gay", is playing on an innate assumption that gay people are inferior to the rest of society by associating them with something else you consider inferior. And I'm supposed to accept that because you try to justify your prejudices by trotting out the same old shit about how language evolves? Or (to probably misquote Simon Amstell) should I just Jew off and stop being so bloody black about it?

Well said, bollocks.

And actually, that South Park ep's excuse is a send up of referencer's excuse - which makes it better. South park is making fun of people who use the excuse that 'it has nothing to do with being homosexual'. It is why it is an awesome episode.

I am an infreqent poster and long time member. I also work with young people and see this kind of harrassment frequently. It is terribly damaging to young people struggling with their sexuality.

Dear mods,

I know this is totally off topic - and I will refrain from posting any more, but just to reinforce why I am getting involved here:

From the rules:
Please show respect for all members at GBAtemp; new or old. Disparaging remarks towards others about race, gender, origin, handicap, age, sexual orientation, personal politics and religion will NOT be tolerated and will most likely be removed by staff. The poster will then be warned, suspended or banned (see the Warnings section below for more information on warnings).

Often on forums these rules are similar but people are allowed to get away with disrepect for sexual orientation. You'll never see someone get away with racism. And yet in both cases it is harrassment of a person for simply being who they are...

-----

Back to the game: Mechanics look awesome! Looks like a must play, I'm a kirby canvas curse fan as well. Bought it in singapore on a trip back from Europe and played it non-stop until the batteries ran flat in my DS. Good times.

Popid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As someone who occasionally enjoys giving and recieving some rimming action, I'd like to suggest that I do find "that sucks" to be offensive, referencer, since I consider it an abreviated form of "that sucks ass", and sucking ass is teh awesome - NOT something to be associated with bad video games

wink.gif

well, arse I suppose I mean - not donkeys.

Seriousness-time though, I think if a word MIGHT hurt people - and I think anyone can admit that using "gay" in such a sense, in this time and space, might well still hurt somebody (not even offend, but hurt), then it's probably best not to use it. I myself use it occasionally and feel ambivalent about it - I loathe homophobia and have good reason to, believe me, but yes it's also true that the word seems to be becoming less and less directly connected with its origins. But as I said..if the constant use of the word 'gay' in such contexts can seem perjorative to people who might be injured by it, it's probably still 'too soon'. People out there struggling with their sexuality, constantly bombarded in RL and online with what they percieve to be perjorative uses of a word which describes them, are quite likely harmed by that

because ultimately, what does it cost someone NOT to say it?

referencer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
luigimania said:
Often on forums these rules are similar but people are allowed to get away with disrepect for sexual orientation.
No one is harassing homosexuals. No one even mentioned homosexuals until Rock decided to make the thread about harassing them.

Sefi

Trophies
XP
Country
I have gay friends and they tell me they don't take offense to it at all. They think the whole controversy is pretty damn gay.

lonegreyride

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
luigimania said:
And actually, that South Park ep's excuse is a send up of referencer's excuse - which makes it better. South park is making fun of people who use the excuse that 'it has nothing to do with being homosexual'. It is why it is an awesome episode.
Might want to watch that one again... Whether the message was right or wrong (I'm not getting into that), the episode was about the boys using the word to describe bikers, with no idea why gay people would be offended by it. Personally, I always took it to be about highlighting the difference between taking a word at face value, or taking it for what the person or people who used it meant by it... I base this on what I've seen in every south park episode since the show first aired. Just talking about what I got from that episode, not my opinion of that whole matter.

Anyway, I'm allergic to kiwis.

Popid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
the game, in the end, is absolutely AWESOME. We had hours of fun tonight taking in turns trying to get through levels

and at some point my brother and I decided it'd be fun if we played a drinking game whereby we had to drink a beer at a fairly normal rate, but cldnt stop until we either died or got to the end of a level lol

im a bit drunk now

and as far as the earlier uh comments are concerned; wow, most posts removed by a moderator ever?
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Murica