Hardware Why the 3DS resolution and screen size is a big failure for 3D

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
tk_saturn said:
There's nothing stopping them from doing another console with a larger screen further down the road. Technology advances.

yup they will no doubt have the 3ds XL just round the corner

We also must realise the current 3ds model is a prototype and not finalized, the screen resolution won't change but the screen-size could

AgentBEATS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
alucard77 said:
The 3D would be so much more encompassing on a 70 inch screen vs. a 50 inch screen.[/b]

I disagree wholeheartedly with this statement.

That is instantly assessing that bigger is in some way better.

Since you say that a larger screen will encompass the 3D effect better, I am assuming that then 3D in movie theaters would be the most encompassing. However, I have yet to find a 3D movie that has engrossed me enough to say that the 3D effect was at all "better" than say it were on a smaller screen or if there wasn't any at all. In comparison the 3D TV's on display at the local Futureshop had a much better 3D effect at a size of screen that wasn't even comparable in size.

Also, many hands on experiences have stated that the 3D effect on the 3DS was as good as, if not better than those used at the movies. I'm not going to say that is true since I have not tried it myself, but as it is now, saying that the 3D effect will fail because of the screen size is illogical.

alucard77

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A bigger screen should always help for the 3D experience. That is the reason IMAX on a IMAX screen is better then a regular theater doing 3D, which is better then your home TV.

It will come down to how the developers handle the 3D effects and what they choose to do with them. Some 3D effects can be tamed and just meant to give depth. Those would probably work well. Other items may not work if they are trying to do bullets wizing at you.

D

Deleted User

to put it lightly, the 3DS allocates 400 pixels per eye for the 3d effect, so imagine an 800px screen resolution in your eyes. Not good.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I think I get what OP expects from "3D"

OP thinks that "3D" means "just like in real life, only it is fiction", however, it doesn't have to be like that. Simply projecting the characters to look like those board games (Monopoly 3D springs to mind, THAT one would be awesome) can be considered "3D" as well, and as such, doesn't need a screen that big.

It doesn't always have to be "looks so f*cking real I bleed", simply "I can see the thing pop out of the screen" is advanced enough, since no 3D glasses are needed

Remember, this is Ninty we're talking about here, they care about gameplay (well, not really, Pokemon's gameplay doesn't improve ever since Silver), not graphics or its children (again, not really, who don't want better graphics? But it's not their main point is all I say)

dhjohn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will just say this. The 3D that the op is wanting is a very difficult thing to manage.
My work has a 3d screen, and a lot of the programs we run on it have the objects come out of the screen. The problem with this is, whenever one of those objects passes beyond the edge of the screen, bad thing happen because suddenly, something that should be in front of the screen's border is behind it, but the rest of the object is in front of it, and I think you get the idea.

The popping out 3d works in movies because everything is controlled, and they can always prevent the edge problems. Yes, this can be done with games too, but it would be much harder without drastically limiting game controls.

I am personally in favor of the look into a box method. It is much safer.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Its just a handheld system. And people who have tested it says it works great too.
biggrin.gif

nano351

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you're disappointed with the screen size then hold the 3ds 1 inch from your face and it'll be like a 504 inch TV at 12 feet!

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's kind of pointless to call it failure, unless you've seen it first hand. All the editors for major magazines, game review sights, as well as highly regarded developers all came to the same conclusion; The 3D effects are not a gimmick, they're amazing.

I'll trust their hands on impressions over your graph.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
nano351 said:
if you're disappointed with the screen size then hold the 3ds 1 inch from your face and it'll be like a 504 inch TV at 12 feet!

i've noticed that while im playing games i hold my ds very close to my face, especially when im lying down, probably only 10" away

sputnix

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
kinda hard to judge resolution when no one here played [unless some one was lucky and VERY PATIENT], but judging from screen shots and previews I don't see a problem

altorn

Trophies
Website
atlaswing.zxq.net
XP
Country
Canada
personally, the 3D of the 3DS is just a bonus for me.
Better gaming experience, online, games, etc. are the reasons I'm gonna buy it for. Whether the 3D works or not, i personally dont care.

oh,
i love you alucard.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Judging by the people who have actually experienced the 3DS, it was great.

I'd say that they have a little more persuasive power on the subject than you do.

Indalecio

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
alucard77 said:
Alex666 said:
thats why they build in the slider for adjusting the 3D-ness so it will be great nonetheless ^^
This post has nothing to do with the slider. The purpose of the 3DS to me is to play 3D movies and 3D games.

The resolution is a huge problem on the 3DS.

1- With the slider off, a resolution of 400x240 is even weaker then the PSP at 480x272. So all the talk of the 3DS looks better then the PSP is garbage. The PSP which will be 6 years old when the 3DS comes out will have a better resolution then the brand new 3DS. That is embarassing.

2- The 400x240 resolution limits the size screen and the effect that 3D will have on you. This will feel more like a pop up book then anything else. A 720p resolution should give you a great picture and great 3D feel.

QUOTE(Chrono_Tata @ Jun 25 2010, 11:49 AM) It's a handheld game console not a home theatre.

Well, my point is this:

1- Give us 720P, and you get better looking games off the bat, 3D or not 3D
2- With 720P, you can also get a proper 3D experience because they can also give us a bigger screen

Learn what resolution is and does. Resolution does not equal better visuals.

ryan90

Trophies
XP
Country
Indalecio said:
alucard77 said:
Alex666 said:
thats why they build in the slider for adjusting the 3D-ness so it will be great nonetheless ^^
This post has nothing to do with the slider. The purpose of the 3DS to me is to play 3D movies and 3D games.

The resolution is a huge problem on the 3DS.

1- With the slider off, a resolution of 400x240 is even weaker then the PSP at 480x272. So all the talk of the 3DS looks better then the PSP is garbage. The PSP which will be 6 years old when the 3DS comes out will have a better resolution then the brand new 3DS. That is embarassing.

2- The 400x240 resolution limits the size screen and the effect that 3D will have on you. This will feel more like a pop up book then anything else. A 720p resolution should give you a great picture and great 3D feel.

QUOTE(Chrono_Tata @ Jun 25 2010, 11:49 AM) It's a handheld game console not a home theatre.

Well, my point is this:

1- Give us 720P, and you get better looking games off the bat, 3D or not 3D
2- With 720P, you can also get a proper 3D experience because they can also give us a bigger screen

Learn what resolution is and does. Resolution does not equal better visuals.

resolution does equal better visuals, higher res will mean sharper screens, less aliasing and much more detail..obviously this is completely dependent on the graphics solution available, if the 3ds had a higher resolution of screen with the pica 200 especially in 720p the visual quality would actually go way down for most games because of the extra power needed to render at a higher resolution on 3 separate frames!(top screen times two and bottom screen.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That cat bites +1