Hardware Why proprietary memory cards?

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Rayder said:
Why do you think I waited so long to get a PSP?
Because you couldn't use piracy since day 1? Sorry... Did I said piracy? I wanted to say homebrew, sorry. =/

That being said, it was kinda of obvious they would overprice the memory cards. I don't know if I'll get one from the start... maybe I'll wait for a third party solution and buy the games from retail.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Maedhros said:
Rayder said:
Why do you think I waited so long to get a PSP?
Because you couldn't use piracy since day 1? Sorry... Did I said piracy? I wanted to say homebrew, sorry. =/

That being said, it was kinda of obvious they would overprice the memory cards. I don't know if I'll get one from the start... maybe I'll wait for a third party solution and buy the games from retail.
Sandisk, I'm counting on you since you are so ubiquitous here.

Official Sony mems are really a bomb here.

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
emigre said:
Wasn't the PSP able to run unsigned code relatively soon after release? IIRC the PSP was able to run unsigned code at release.
Yeah, but until it wasn't until pandora batteries/magic cards and Dark Alex's custom firmware that the piracy started to ruin the platform.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
emigre said:
Actually you don't have to buy the new memory format to save games. Vita cartidges will have allocated space for save files and DLC.

If this was the case I wouldn't mind it so much, I don't use PS Store and I have an ipod for everything else, but check this out

http://andriasang.com/comye2/

I'm not putting it past Sony to make their own games require a card, and if games like the above require installation despite using flash storage god help us all :/

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
emigre said:
Actually you don't have to buy the new memory format to save games. Vita cartidges will have allocated space for save files and DLC.

It's great that they'll have space for the DLC, but I have a few questions on my mind.

Just how much extra space do they plan on giving them?
Because it will be rewritable, won't that affect the pricing of the cards themselves?
What if a company ends up making too much DLC to be held in that extra space? Require an additional memory card?
What if a company planned on DLC, made space for them, but ended up not making enough to fill it, or made none at all?

Maedhros

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
DiscostewSM said:
emigre said:

It's great that they'll have space for the DLC, but I have a few questions on my mind.

Just how much extra space do they plan on giving them?
Because it will be rewritable, won't that affect the pricing of the cards themselves?
What if a company ends up making too much DLC to be held in that extra space? Require an additional memory card?
What if a company planned on DLC, made space for them, but ended up not making enough to fill it, or made none at all?
5~10% of the size (which varies from 2 to 4GB initially).
Nope.
Probably. And probably will not be the case in the start of the console.
The space will still be there.

And synce, did you even read the news you posted. It was on the box that it was required, but actually isn't required at all. Retail games will not require it. But I think it'll still be offered as option, it's convenient to have save files on a memory card.

D

Deleted User

It's called "Down the road, homebrew devs make drivers for the Vita memory cards"
Then:
"Homebrew devs make memory card reader for vita"
-_-

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Reports say that the memory card won't be normally-readable, you'll need to use their specific software to write to it.

Actually the first PSP system software fucked up the checks and ran homebrew. And even after the 1.50 update there have been ways of running stuff since then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...