Hacking Why is my AK2I freezing?

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just started using my A2KI that I purchased a while ago (on my DSi XL) and I've updated both my DSi XL to 1.3.4 and the A2KI to the latest firmware (as of yesterday), but I was just playing Ghost Trick and it locked up.

What might be causing this?

I'm using a Transend 8 GB Micro-SDHC card...

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I hate to say it but Rydian is right, for once. :P
Not absolutely, contact issue is just a possibility. It can also be a msd card failure, so the op should also try formatting their micro sd card with the panasonic sd formatter (or w/e that thing is called now...). Note: formatting will erase all data in the msd, so make sure you back everything up to your computer.

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies!

I'm using a DSi XL and the AK2i is pretty tight in the slot... I've just used the Panasonic formatting tool and so far it hasn't locked up again but we'll see.

What exactly is that tool doing that a regular format doesn't do?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SD Association formatter (formerly Panasonic formatter) actually sets certain formatting parameters that a regular Windows Explorer format doesn't do.
An ordinary Windows Explorer format treats all mass storage devices pretty much the same, but SD specifications aren't the same.
Not all card readers specify that the "storage device" is SD media.

There's a detailed explanation about what the program is created for on http://www.sdcard.org

The SD Formatter formats SD Memory Card, SDHC Memory Card and SDXC Memory Card
(collectively SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards) complying with the SD File System Specification created by SD
Association (SDA).
The SD Formatter formats SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards optimizing with these card’s performance etc.. It is
strongly recommended to use the SD Formatter to format SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards rather than using
formatting tools provided with operating systems. In general, formatting tools provided with operating
systems can format various storage media including SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards, but it may not be
optimized for SD/SDHC/SDXC Cards and it may result in lower performance than using the SD
Formatter.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies!

I'm using a DSi XL and the AK2i is pretty tight in the slot... I've just used the Panasonic formatting tool and so far it hasn't locked up again but we'll see.

What exactly is that tool doing that a regular format doesn't do?
The built-in (the 'regular formats') software for formatting weren't really programmed to format micro sd cards. Thus, formatting using those built-in software usually causes many problems regarding micro sd cards. The panasonic sd formatter (I know it has a new name, but oh well :P) was specifically programmed to format sd cards, effectively eliminating fragments, etc. that slows the msd cards down.

EDIT: ninja'd :ninja:

Pyrate02

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you keep having problems, just buy an R4iGold3ds - that will definitely solve your contact problem. After I stopped buying AceKard and started buying the R4, my contact problems disappeared. In my experience, AceKard has lousy build quality and is a piece of junk.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you keep having problems, just buy an R4iGold3ds - that will definitely solve your contact problem. After I stopped buying AceKard and started buying the R4, my contact problems disappeared. In my experience, AceKard has lousy build quality and is a piece of junk.

It's disappointing to admit, but I sort of agree. I've owned 2 Acekards, and I have bought and given away a dozen R4's and I have both of the Wood-compatible R4iDSN R4 Gold cards (r4ids.cn & r4idsn.com,) and I have never had any errors in games with 1:1 R4's or the Wood Compatible R4 Gold cards.

But I had serious issues with my first AK2i & my DSi XL right off the bat.
I just about ruined TWEWY for myself because of having to restart several times throughout the beginning before being confident it was fixed (by which time I was using other games to test, because I hate losing game progress in RPG's!).

The AK2i contact issue fix that worked for me was, in addition to slipping a piece of paper under the PCB, adding a piece of thin scotch tape to the bottom of the sticker-side of the AK2i cartridge. I had to add another piece of tape later that year. I wound up giving that one to a friend. I *do* have a new one that doesn't have the contact issues but I keep it more as a collector, and to test themes and stuff.

For what it's worth, my main cart is the http://www.r4idsn.com cart, though many prefer the r4ids.cn card. Prior to buying that I'd just been using Supercard DStwo (for DSi/3DS compatibility) & 1:1 R4 on my DS Lite.

Reactions: 1 person

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not absolutely, contact issue is just a possibility. It can also be a msd card failure, so the op should also try formatting their micro sd card with the panasonic sd formatter (or w/e that thing is called now...). Note: formatting will erase all data in the msd, so make sure you back everything up to your computer.

Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Professor Flash Card. Tell me how to make flash card work? I stupid and no own acekard 2i flash card. I so happy you here to help me. to many members here bicker. Hint s4mid4re.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
your card froze 1 single time on 1 single rom and you are already going to go through the 40 minute process of backing up your files, formatting, and putting them back on your 8gb?

games freeze. you are playing roms on a device that does something the ds was not designed to do. you really need to play more and do some debugging before you assume its a contact issue or a bad micro sd card.

contact issues will present themselves on bootup and while playing, and they can be as minor as to happen once in a 6 month period or as serious as to happen constantly. if it only happened once, just eject the card and reseat it, then go on enjoying it.

-another world

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Oh, I'm sorry Mr. Professor Flash Card. Tell me how to make flash card work? I stupid and no own acekard 2i flash card. I so happy you here to help me. to many members here bicker. Hint s4mid4re.
wat ?___________________?

I was just imposing to the op that solving contact issue isn't the absolute and only solution to his problem. I never opposed Rydian's advice, and instead of just backing up his statement (like you did), I augmented the op's knowledge bank by informing him of other possibilities that might have caused malfunctioning. And I never claimed myself as "Mr. Professor Flash Card." I help others for the sake of helping others--nothing wrong with it, and I never anticipate much but a "thank you" in return. Anyways, the op's problem is fixed. That's what it matters here.

If you want to tell me something, stop hinting and tell it to me, straight to the point.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo