Hacking Why does Tinfoil 8 want to destroy my Hekate files now?

ShinLarc

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using Tinfoil 8 with atmosphere and hekate kosmos and when I finally got tinfoil to install on 10.0.0 using atmosphere I had to use a different payload and some modified files I found. After I was finally able to boot into tinfoil I get a red screen saying i need to delete hekate kosmos files or it wont boot. So i do that and im able to install the game. But if I turn off my switch and turn it back on I am no longer able to get into tinfoil or the game I installed. I am wondering what would be the cause of this as tinfoil has always worked fine for me before..

Jeez 10.0.0 on atmosphere is such a headache..

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newest version of Atmosphere made it to where Tinfoil cant be used with it, in attempts to stray itself from any acts of piracy. You have to use either SX-OS or newly released fork of Atmosphere named NEUTOS in order to continue using Tinfoil (or older Vanilla Atmosphere versions, but those arent compatible with 10.x.x)

Tinfoil has been known to have issues when people use Hekate or Kosmos, so they've also made it to where you must delete those in order to use Tinfoil.. probably in attempts to cut down on the number of randoms in their support Discord having issues while using them

Here's the link to NEUTOS, I'd recommend just using that from now on if Tinfoil is a must-have for you: https://github.com/borntohonk/NEUTOS

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The newest version of Atmosphere made it to where Tinfoil cant be used with it, in attempts to stray itself from any acts of piracy. You have to use either SX-OS or newly released fork of Atmosphere named NEUTOS in order to continue using Tinfoil (or older Vanilla Atmosphere versions, but those arent compatible with 10.x.x)

Tinfoil has been known to have issues when people use Hekate or Kosmos, so they've also made it to where you must delete those in order to use Tinfoil.. probably in attempts to cut down on the number of randoms in their support Discord having issues while using them

Here's the link to NEUTOS, I'd recommend just using that from now on if Tinfoil is a must-have for you: https://github.com/borntohonk/NEUTOS
That is blatantly flase. Tinfoil blocked the use of hekate, at least for directly booting atmosphere. To run tinfoil you don't need NEUTOS anymore, just plain amosphere works, you just need these patches: https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosphere-patches-es-fs-and-loader-fusee_primary-only.562812/
Make sure you're booting with fusee-primary and voila. Tinfoil just checks if there's a loader.kip or ams_mitm.kip in atmosphere/kips and patches.ini in bootloader, so you can't use hekate with tinfoil.

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is blatantly flase. Tinfoil blocked the use of hekate, at least for directly booting atmosphere. To run tinfoil you don't need NEUTOS anymore, just plain amosphere works, you just need these patches: https://gbatemp.net/threads/atmosphere-patches-es-fs-and-loader-fusee_primary-only.562812/
Make sure you're booting with fusee-primary and voila. Tinfoil just checks if there's a loader.kip or ams_mitm.kip in atmosphere/kips and patches.ini in bootloader, so you can't use hekate with tinfoil.

It's not blatantly false. Vanilla Atmosphere doesnt work with Tinfoil anymore. It only does with patches included (which tbf I wasnt aware were even dropped here). Neutos is essentially just Atmosphere with those patches already built in.. so it's really no different than patching it yourself, minus the boot logo being different. Either way you cant use Vanilla Atmosphere or Hekate with Tinfoil anymore

goncalodoom

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It's not blatantly false. Vanilla Atmosphere doesnt work with Tinfoil anymore. It only does with patches included (which tbf I wasnt aware were even dropped here). Neutos is essentially just Atmosphere with those patches already built in.. so it's really no different than patching it yourself, minus the boot logo being different. Either way you cant use Vanilla Atmosphere or Hekate with Tinfoil anymore
Still i don't recommend people to use Neutos while they have an Exfat partition. It just keeps corrupting my SD card while vanilla atmosphere does not.

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That was always the case, you always needed patches to run unsigned nsps (which tinfoil is) so atmosphere didn't make specific changes to block tinfoil or anything like that. Only thing that changed was that loader.kip needs to be patched now as well, but that's because Nintendo moved the signature check in there.

Reactions: Codify

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Still i don't recommend people to use Neutos while they have an Exfat partition. It just keeps corrupting my SD card while vanilla atmosphere does not.
Using an Exfat partition isnt recommended in the first place. You're highly likely to experience corruption, regardless of CFW of choice, simply because of Nintendos shitty Exfat driver lol

Reactions: Mythical

nickwhit

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The newest version of Neutos also has the added feature of icon view when using Tinfoil, which was previously only a feature if you had a SX-OS license.. which is pretty neat imo

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
oh that was sxos only?....lol ok i have a sx licence but good for those who dont have one. ^^

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i want to use sxos and neutos (sx for usbhdd to be able to use an hard drive for my dock) but neutos uses a boot.dat and sx too so if i take the neutos boot.dat and use my sx dongle it loads neutos :hateit:

Rasa39

Pervert Deluxe
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Glad I've got a version of tinfoil that actually works for me then, I cba with all that crap caused by all the dev feuds (or whatever the reason for it).

Made the mistake of updating tinfoil back when I still used kosmos and it really didn't like that (also had those edgy boi messages in that version). Thankfully backed up the old one and it still worked fine. Using it now on latest atmosphere with sigpatches on fw 10.0, primarily booting through hekate, no SX license. No problems.

Then again I only use tinfoil since it has the best usb installer (at least the only usb one that would work for me) so props for that, I don't use any of the other featurs/sx bonus stuff that other ppl might be crying about. Not that I don't appreciate dev work, but it's nice to not have to jump through patches and cfw forks to get the "right" config to match each apps preferences depending on how the dev feels at the time of each release.

Let's just hug it out guys, hippy style, through the vibes, at a safe social distance.

Reactions: Codify

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NEUTOS exists solely to allow prodinfo writes, it was never needed for sigpatches. Prodinfo writes were in turn needed because of Blawar's insistance that his bundled incognito be able to run from Tinfoil or else you can't use it at all. I can't see Blawar's sudden "change of heart" as unrelated to the new options Atmosphere offers for editing/emulating prodinfo now. Between that and Vanilla sigpatches I imagine we will see NEUTOS disappear once Tinfoil's incognito adapts to the new options in Vanilla.

Expect the Kosmos/Hekate feud to continue unabated though.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Ok seriously this tinfoil and atmosphere wars need to stop!
Why can't we have a normal cfw with full support for everything just like luma for the 3ds.
It doesn't make sense
Bunch of hypocrites "I don't want any piracy" liars.

Reactions: Firexploit

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok seriously this tinfoil and atmosphere wars need to stop!
Why can't we have a normal cfw with full support for everything just like luma for the 3ds.
It doesn't make sense
Bunch of hypocrites "I don't want any piracy" liars.
because they think Nintendo wont take them to court if they don't support piracy or enable it. which will not save them. if Nintendo wanted to, they would already have every cfw dev in jail while being fined a large sum of money.

Last edited by nero99,
Reactions: NoNAND

Copai1

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Glad I've got a version of tinfoil that actually works for me then, I cba with all that crap caused by all the dev feuds (or whatever the reason for it).

Made the mistake of updating tinfoil back when I still used kosmos and it really didn't like that (also had those edgy boi messages in that version). Thankfully backed up the old one and it still worked fine. Using it now on latest atmosphere with sigpatches on fw 10.0, primarily booting through hekate, no SX license. No problems.

Then again I only use tinfoil since it has the best usb installer (at least the only usb one that would work for me) so props for that, I don't use any of the other featurs/sx bonus stuff that other ppl might be crying about. Not that I don't appreciate dev work, but it's nice to not have to jump through patches and cfw forks to get the "right" config to match each apps preferences depending on how the dev feels at the time of each release.

Let's just hug it out guys, hippy style, through the vibes, at a safe social distance.

Bro you have that old tinfoil version? I made the same mistake and I deleted the old version so no backups lol, I just want to use Tinfoil without using a shitty fork.

NoNAND

Give me back my legions!
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
because they think Nintendo wont take them to court if they don't support piracy or enable it. which will not save them. if Nintendo wanted to, they would already have every cfw dev in jail while being fined a large sum of money.
That's the point.
Homebrew on some countries such as Japan I believe is illegal and you can get in trouble for messing with it and doing reverse engineering as they call it.

peter064

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel like there are some misinformation to some responses in this thread. You always needed patches to run unsigned code in atmosphere and that didn't just start in 10.0. Nintendo changed the way it does it checks so basically every time atmosphere is updated a new ips patch is needed for tinfoil to work and not every time nintendo releases firmware. The cal0 check in tinfoil was removed because atmosphere now has a built in way to hide the prodinfo which is what incognito did. It used to be mandatory but since it is gone it just hides the incognito function in tinfoil if cal0 can't be written to (which i think could have been done all along without blocking users entirely).

Neutos is just any all in one package that has all the patches included and bypasses the acid checks and had cal0 able to be written to for incognito. It now has icon view because I believe the dev who forked it is mad that vanilla atmosphere works with tinfoil now and has a really big ego for some reason.

Big reason for the blocks is just because they don't like doing support for different configurations. Vanilla atmosphere works but it relies on someone releasing patches every time it is updated. Neutos includes the patches so it will always work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu