Hacking Why does my wii drive go berserk w/ wiikey?

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed the wiikey fine onto a wii ntsc 2.2U. I tested out a few backups and originals, all appeared to be working. Then I updated to 3.0U. This is obviously a mistake, as now only my originals are working. AND my disc drive will only accept discs while the power is off (if the power is off and i put a disc in the drive the wii accepts it, but then if I eject the game and then try to put it back in with the wii on, it won't accept it). The wii drive also has random bursts where it sounds like it is trying to eject a game and accept a game repeatedly. What's going on? I thought the wiikey was confirmed to work with 3.0U?

Also my wiiconnect24 is OFF, and i updated to 3.0U through wifi, not through a game disc.

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got another question too, if no one knows the answer above...
When I put in NTSC MP3:C backup it asks me to update my wii. Is this safe to do with a wiikey installed? I thought 3.0 was already the highest update anyways?

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
I've got another question too, if no one knows the answer above...
When I put in NTSC MP3:C backup it asks me to update my wii. Is this safe to do with a wiikey installed? I thought 3.0 was already the highest update anyways?

Yes it's safe to update with MP3 if your Wii is a US Wii. The update on the disc isn't actually 3.0, it installs some other files. But yeah it's safe.

I'm not sure what the trouble is with your Wiikey and the 3.0 update though. Perhaps try to leaked Wiikey update and see if that changes anything. Up to you.

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay it's stopped going crazy. Now the wii won't accept games at all unless you hit the eject button first (even if there is no game in the wii) and sometimes that doesn't even work, is this normal?

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed the wiikey myself. I've installed a few mod chips on things before and soldered many things. I'm 99.99% sure that everything is soldered correctly.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Only thing to try is to take out the chip and see if the drive behaves normally.

sorry it's not a very helpfull answer, but i don't think theres any other options

superrubbish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try to back up your games with some better quality DVD-R. According to the research of a taiwanese engineer, he says that 3.0U updates the len's rate of reflection requirement. It means that after your console updated to 3.0U, the len would become more sensitive to the reflection of disc. That can explain why you could play backups when your Wii was 2.2U, but no longer works on 3.0U. So, try to back up your games again with better dvd disc , and also use a slower speed to burn. That may help to fix your problem.

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks supperubbish. I recopied my backups with Verbatim DVD+R 16x burnt at 4x. So far no problems. Looks to be good.

sidneyyoung

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
If you still have that drive problem, I think i know the solution now, as by accident the same thing happened to mine... though the symtons were slightly differnet.

The main data cable (with the flip catch) must of come slightly pulled out (the one connecting the drive to the motherboard), at that point when turning on the wii, the drive would make continual 'eject' noises for quite a while and refuse to take a disc.

Undoing the catch (flip up from forward edge) and pushing the data cable fully in and re-clasping the flip lock (keep pushing cable inwards while locking) cured the problem for me.

kingmathyou

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll try to reinsert that cable if it starts to give me problems again, for now it's looking good though. Thanks a lot guys.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1