Hardware Why do people keep calling the System Menu "firmware"?

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The closest thing to firmware that the Wii has is the IOS's. Games, channels, and the System Menu all run under an IOS.

I agree, because this is a fact.
The hard part is all "little" ios's are independend -upgradeable, interchangeable- but together they make the "Wii system".
The system menu is just a means to interface with it, but so is most homebrew.
. All bootmii, priiloader, postloader, usb loader. Bypassing SYSTEM MENU.
So what firmware is that? I can call it whatever I want I geuss....
I know all my little "f rmwares/ ios" are up to date....

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
i don't call it firmware i just call it system menu. plus this just occured to me why are people calling it that? and firmware is more like Playstaion reltead?
heres teh way i see it
iphone/pod touch, Androids firmwares version ###, computer OS version ###, game consoles & handhelds firmware versions ###
as for apps, DSiware, wiiware, 3DSware diffrent versions i just call them "the app name version ###"
So just because some sort of menu runs on a console, that makes it firmware?

i never actually looked deeply into how the wii runs yet, im not doing wii homebrew yet so far i just now the technical specs of the console.
i have seen videos on youtube of it running windows i forget which version but should be able to run a firmware & os.
what its currently running on no clue but for now i call it a firmware. unless corrected or told by an official source.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
OP
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
i don't call it firmware i just call it system menu. plus this just occured to me why are people calling it that? and firmware is more like Playstaion reltead?
heres teh way i see it
iphone/pod touch, Androids firmwares version ###, computer OS version ###, game consoles & handhelds firmware versions ###
as for apps, DSiware, wiiware, 3DSware diffrent versions i just call them "the app name version ###"

i never actually looked deeply into how the wii runs yet, im not doing wii homebrew yet so far i just now the technical specs of the console.
i have seen videos on youtube of it running windows i forget which version but should be able to run a firmware & os.
what its currently running on no clue but for now i call it a firmware. unless corrected or told by an official source.
What are you talking about? The Wii cannot run Windows, lol.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
heres teh way i see it

ONE of the MANY ios present on the Wii's nand is running an app on your Wii. My geuss it's a cIOS in slot 202 . Nothing to do with the system menu or official nintendo stuff.
The Wii has no firmware . It's a collection of small interchangeable firmwares called ios wich are present in slot numbered place holders.
The used ios slot is called by the game or app. What's in the slot is completely adaptable.
It's a very easy to adapt system. But t makes it exremely vulnerable too. ( happy days! )
Therefore the system menu version does not matter.

I can have a system menu 4.1 and be able to play the latest games that call for the latest ios. NO problem.
It just so be that nintendo provide the latest active ios with a system menu update also.
Keeps people dumb, is what they are trying to achieve.
You can have all benifits of the latest update without havng to change the system menu.
A a system menu is ( normally) needed but NOT needed to have a up to date working Wii system. EVER.

But for normal users that do not hack their Wii , the system menu version is a good indication where "the Wii is at" and if the system is not hacked, firmware for naming that is accepatable I think.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the actual reason system menu is firmware: it is embedded in a nonremovable memory on the system, the system can not function without it, it has control over hardware and low level functions such as adding sdhc support and loading chanels from SD. in fact the only reason you wouldn't call the system menu firmware is the fact that it's rewrittable but by that far outdated defintion nothing has had true firmware since the early ninties even the firmware in dvd drives, hard drives, televisons monitors, and literally everything else is software flashable. by the true and outdated defintion of firmware it means not replacable without replacing hardware so by your logic what's next joostin, you going to complain about 360's disc drive flash being called firmware? we aren't in the 80's anymore the WII's system menu is firmware.
Actually a lot of that is wrong. Nothing runs under the System Menu. It can be removed. The Wii will operate without it (it won't do much though). It doesn't perform low-level operations. I don't think you understand how the Wii runs.
i think you are too picky with your words and a troll so i guess it all works out.
He is completely correct. System Menu does not have any code to access low level functions or hardware of the Wii. That is all handled by IOS (which is firmware). The SM is not running when any other code is running (games etc.). It doesn't provide anything other than an interface to load other software. Pretty much everything you described is handled by IOS, not SM.

Reactions: 1 person

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People call it firmware for the same reason they used to call NES games "tapes", because they just don't know any better. Oh well, that's life, get used to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV8dBxGdNxk