Hardware Why do people call the switch a handheld/portable?

• Thread starter Deleted-401606
  • Start date
  • Views 10,079
  • Replies 135

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
It isn't a handheld or a portable. It is a CONSOLE that CAN be used as a portable. Judging by the size and the fact that the n2ds xl is coming out it should be more than clear that this is not meant to be a 3ds successor. Its like people try to justify it's lack of power by saying its a handheld.
it's a tablet with a video out port

Reactions: Spider_Man

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We could possibly argue carts vs CDs and there are merits, Nintendo were hardly a joy to work with during the 8 and 16 bit eras though. They had a serious iron fist during that, dictated content quite harshly (I assume we are all familiar with Nintendo's censorship), dictated volumes (if they control the lockout chips...) and so forth, some might say that resulted in quality but I would say in spite of. From where I sit then that is what gave Sony the real in.

Also I am not sure the wii u could count as on the graphics wagon. By this point the chips inside the wii u were being made for not a lot at all, give or take the atrocity that was the wii cpu and that was cobbled together from their old tech anyway.

On superior hardware then unless it is out and out superior and can handle the overhead they would also need to get an online system going (if we ignore the PC and take the starting line of the 360 at late 2005 that is now nearly 12 years and their online offerings are still beyond a joke, during that time all by my lonesome I have deployed multiple systems that surpass Nintendo's offerings in functionality and I would bet good money on them scaling to Nintendo's needs too).

Equally the N64 has good graphics argument was tenuous at the time -- the muddy textures, framerates frequently somewhere around "slideshow" and aliasing issues were well known at the time. It certainly pushed some polys but that was known not to be the be all and end all.

Last edited by raulpica,

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
It isn't a handheld or a portable. It is a CONSOLE that CAN be used as a portable. Judging by the size and the fact that the n2ds xl is coming out it should be more than clear that this is not meant to be a 3ds successor. Its like people try to justify it's lack of power by saying its a handheld.
The DS was also not meant to be a Game Boy Advance successor either. And the GBA Micro came out a whole year after the DS launched. They claimed the DS was a side project but, when it sold like hot cakes, they never spoke of the "true" successor to the GBA again.

People "justifying" the lack of power by saying it's a handheld are actually acknowledging the trade off that was made in order to make it handheld. When you think about it in these terms, it makes sense. Nintendo dominated the handheld console market, but haven't dominated the home console market in a long time. Some potential genius at Nintendo came up with the idea of blurring the lines and converging the two markets. If it fails, Nintendo will produce successors in both markets. If it succeeds, I doubt we'll see a 3DS successor.

Something that CAN be used portably is, by definition, portable. Something that you can use in your hands is, by definition, handheld. You can't get around this by saying, "I don't see it as a portable or a handheld". It's not difficult to come to terms with, just read the fucking dictionary! :tpi:

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
People who think it's a handheld usually have these arguments:

1) It's a tablet - Nope, the display is too small for a tablet and it's not suitable for tablet tasks.

2) It uses a portable SoC - A PC can have a portable SoC. Doesn't make the PC a handheld. The PS Vita TV uses a portable SoC. Vita TV is not a handheld.

3) It's a Shield Tablet - Nope, it's not. Both hardware and software are different.

Bottom line is that it's not a handheld. It's a home console with a built-in screen and attachable controllers, enabling limited portable play.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So the PS1 that had an attachable screen could qualify as a portable? O.o
Add to that a very small diesel generator, battery pack, or car adapter and why not?
That would be portable, but not very hand holdable. So no handheld.

PS: Remember this was marketed as portable.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,

V0ltr0n

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it's a gimped tablet with attachable controllers and an optional dock that allows for video out.

Why care what others call it? Just enjoy it if you like it.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and tastes like a duck?

Also "because 2ds xl". Were you not around for the three pillars thing Nintendo did at the start of the DS? It is possible to maintain parallel lines, and also smoke all the crack and then do marketplace analysis which leads to the 2ds xl... though maybe 3d screens are hard to find, not to mention no cunt actually likes the 3d, it was a somewhat inspired way to sell a 3ds revision now they can't get screens any more.

Or are we going to have to do the "gaming device" thing again?

I'm kinda worried about the duck analogy :unsure:
Don't eat the poor ducks, we have chickens already,

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, it may be... not PETA friendly... but duck tastes so much better than chicken.
Specially that asian duck with coconut milk, rice and curry... Hmmm, now I am tempted.
Going to the vietnamese store right now.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This thread is shitposting at its finest.-

It is like two kids that came from school arguing: "no! the tomato is a fruit idiot!", "no! it is a vegetable stupid!", repeat 1000 times.
Except that in that case, these kids would be idiots, there is actually an answer to that. The answer is just "look at definitions for both words and conclude".

For the Switch, it's harder. Just look at the "handheld game console" and "home game console" articles on Wikipedia and notice the Switch is only present on the former article. Then read the article about the Switch itself and notice the first sentence says it's a home console -.-
So I'd say it's more like toilet paper above vs under (as mentioned on the other thread). It works both ways, people decide what it is according to their use.

ZoneBlaze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The form factor makes up for the lack of power (in comparison to PS4 pro). The graphical limits are justified in this case because of the fact it's all on a portable tablet. It's not as if Nintendo couldn't make a console that parallels the ps4, they just didn't want to produce a low grade PC that's sold at a high price. Nintendo always does something different that sets itself apart from the competition.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Curious, I a) had no idea duck was not commonly eaten... everywhere and b) certainly had no idea there were objections like that. c) I have done Brazilian restaurants and "meat, meat and more meat" seems to be the order of the day, as it seems to be in Brazilian cooking in general, ultimately a bit pork heavy for my taste but the sentiment I can certainly appreciate.

Oh, it may be... not PETA friendly... but duck tastes so much better than chicken.
Specially that asian duck with coconut milk, rice and curry... Hmmm, now I am tempted.
Going to the vietnamese store right now.

Chinese/oriental duck certainly has its charms, and were it not for my wanting to try everything and also shredded chilli beef it is a solid order in any Chinese takeout, but for me it definitely has to be a well basted duck put under the closed lid of a bbq and left until... if it is was turkey it would be dry as nobody likes but as it is duck it still has a bit of fat left and just falls off the bone. Get it ready and put it on as the main line in eating is done, and then however long later when everybody is a bit more drunk it is done and it goes down a treat. Bonus 2) is second time you do it all the greedy bastards that filled up the previous bbq will hang back so as to be able to have some and thus allow others to get in on the main part. I should warn you though that it is rather aromatic, for me it smells delicious and if I am bothered by the smell it is because I am bloody jealous but I am aware of how cooking smells play out in Germany*.

*I was otherwise aware of the notion but a client of mine relayed a story of them going to Germany, staying in a residential place and by some good fortune found a butchers that sold beef kidney. Subsequently boiled and curried. Others less familiar with cooking offal consider what your kidneys do; cooking them with heat smells about like what you would expect.

Equally if you like your meat a bit more gamey see if there is some wild duck, it is not quite as night and day as boar vs pig but definitely different.

Reactions: sarkwalvein
S

Saiyan Lusitano

OP
It's actually a handheld that can be used as a home console, but I see what you mean there.
By Nintendo's own words it's a home console. But despite that, the Nintendo Switch is a home console and a handheld. Both.

Enteking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because it uses mobile hardware and is extremely weak and slow compared to real consoles. The chip is just a standard mobile device chip. Real consoles use much more powerful hardware.

Last edited by Enteking,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.phonearena.com/phones/compare/Samsung-Galaxy-S22+,Google-Pixel-8a/phones/11762,12219...