Homebrew Why do homebrew GBA emulators suck on the old 3ds?

Cjmcgiv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All the o3ds GBA emulators I've tried suck. The frame rate is low and that really hinders the experience, yet there are GBA virtual console games. Can anyone explain why to me?. I haven't tried any in a while, but if anyone can point me to on that runs well on the o3ds, that would be a huge help. I also have CFW so I have the ability to use CFW and Homebrew emulators.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
GBA emulators on the 3DS are literally just that, emulators. Thus the games are emulated through the 3DS's hardware and software. Which we really don't have the much access to the 3DS's hardware for better emulation
GBA injections aren't actually emulated, the 3DS actually has hardware for GBA games to work. The system simply reboots and loads into the GBA hardware for these games, basically the 3DS literally becomes a GBA.

MegaKyurem

WAAALUIGI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the o3ds GBA emulators I've tried suck. The frame rate is low and that really hinders the experience, yet there are GBA virtual console games. Can anyone explain why to me?. I haven't tried any in a while, but if anyone can point me to on that runs well on the o3ds, that would be a huge help. I also have CFW so I have the ability to use CFW and Homebrew emulators.
I think it's because the games aren't being run with the built-in 3ds emulator. Compare it more to TWLoader (which loads DS Games off of your SD Card). The reason it's slow is similar to why TWLoader is slow is because it runs the .nds files off of the sd card. The reason why homebrew emulators run slow is similar. The way nintendo is running these emulators is by having an emulator coded in the firmware, and turning the .gba or .gb, etc. into a native 3ds files (.cia, not the .3ds used in cartridges). That way the 3ds can run it quicker.

Edit: Forgot so say that the 3ds is using a different firmware just for the emulators. That's why you have to completely quit out of a non-3ds game (DSi, GBA, etc.) before you go to the home menu.

Last edited by MegaKyurem,

Cjmcgiv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GBA emulators on the 3DS are literally just that, emulators. Thus the games are emulated through the 3DS's hardware and software. Which we really don't have the much access to the 3DS's hardware for better emulation
GBA injections aren't actually emulated, the 3DS actually has hardware for GBA games to work. The system simply reboots and loads into the GBA hardware for these games, basically the 3DS literally becomes a GBA.
Ahhhh. I understand now. Thanks for the explanation. So the only real way to get good GBA emulation is on a n3ds? Hmmm, well I'm poor so oh well.

MegaKyurem

WAAALUIGI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahhhh. I understand now. Thanks for the explanation. So the only real way to get good GBA emulation is on a n3ds? Hmmm, well I'm poor so oh well.
It's bad on homebrew on the new3ds as well. If you want to emulate gba games or rom hacks of gba games, just get a CFW and you can inject gba games into .cia files, so that the 3ds uses it's own emulators.

Cjmcgiv

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's bad on homebrew on the new3ds as well. If you want to emulate gba games or rom hacks of gba games, just get a CFW and you can inject gba games into .cia files, so that the 3ds uses it's own emulators.
Oh awesome, as I stated in the original post, I have CFW. Is there a guide you can link me to to inject GBA games into cia files?

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It runs horribly on the new3DS as well.
The only real way to play GBA games properly on the 3DS is GBA injections or until someone finds better approach to GBA emulation

Reactions: MKKhanzo

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
You have CFW, so why not use Virtual console injects? They run natively off the hardware then, no emulation needed! They work just fine on Old and New 3DS!

Cralex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun fact: Nintendo was apparently working on GBA Virtual Console using emulation instead of natively at some point. If you inject a GBA game into another Virtual Console title, it will load the GBA game with traditional Virtual Console features, including restore points... It'll just run very poorly, like community emulators do. Source: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console#Regular_VC

MegaKyurem

WAAALUIGI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fun fact: Nintendo was apparently working on GBA Virtual Console using emulation instead of natively at some point. If you inject a GBA game into another Virtual Console title, it will load the GBA game with traditional Virtual Console features, including restore points... It'll just run very poorly, like community emulators do. Source: http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console#Regular_VC
GBA games run fine at full speed for me.. (Unless you meant an old glitchy way that didn't use CFWs) I tested it on both a new and old 3ds.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't understand what you were saying.

Last edited by MegaKyurem,
D

Deleted User

You can download premade injectable gba vc roms that are in CIA format from the iso site.I inject the unplayable ones with lag issues (while running them on the emulator) while I keep the playable ones on the emulator to save space on the home menu.

Last edited by ,

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still use MGBA (The CIA version) for some Rom Hacks that refused to save when injected (Pokemon Glazed, Pokemon Chapter Red) and they work flawlessly on both my O3DS and N3DS. I thought it was only SNES emulators that ran like crap on the O3DS. All the GBA roms I've tried through MGBA have run pretty well.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
It's because they run in userland, which has very low level access. If we could reboot into AGB_FIRM in userland, we'd be able to play the games at decent speed, but since we can't get that deep in userland, we have to emulate them as best we can. No emulator is perfect, and since this is running on the 3DS in userland, it lags like hell. You can, however, reboot into AGB_FIRM to play your GBA games at full speed if you have CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1