Hacking Why do games have an alternative dol?

Jpaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not asking about the method to play alternative dols from an HDD, I'm asking about the very existence of an alternative dol in a game.

Really, some games like SSX Blur has only the first screen in the main.dol, then it loads an alternative dol. Metal Slug Anthology plays the first five games just fine, then the sixth through an alternative dol. Metroid Prime Trilogy is totally segmented by alternative dols.

What's the magic in the use of alternative dols? Does it bring any advantage to the game? Disc loading faster? Anything? Couldn't the games have only one dol and extinguish the need to reload?

Dialexio

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
It's meant to provide a slight hiccup for pirates.
rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness, it's probably to keep things separate and from conflicting with each other. Wii Sports Resort keeps all of the MotionPlus video crapola in one DOL, while the actual game stuff is deal with in another one. In the case of Metroid Prime Trilogy... Well, Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 were separate entities as-is, why bother with merging them together?

It's not like this is a Wii-exclusive habit, either. When you install a program in Windows, it might be comprised of many EXEs and DLLs.

Jpaa

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dialexio said:
It's meant to provide a slight hiccup for pirates.
rolleyes.gif

In all seriousness, it's probably to keep things separate and from conflicting with each other. Wii Sports Resort keeps all of the MotionPlus video crapola in one DOL, while the actual game stuff is deal with in another one. In the case of Metroid Prime Trilogy... Well, Metroid Prime 1, 2, and 3 were separate entities as-is, why bother with merging them together?

It's not like this is a Wii-exclusive habit, either. When you install a program in Windows, it might be comprised of many EXEs and DLLs.

It does make sense about Metroid Prime Trilogy, but SSX Blur is pretty dull. C'mon, can't you put the "don't destroy your things with the wiimote" screen in the same dol? All the other games do that. Metal Slug Anthology is also curious, since you use an alternative dol for one of its games, but not for the other five.

I even thought about "organization", because of the sense MP Trilogy makes, but the SSX Blur case makes me think if there's some magic inside alternative dol, or if it brings money and good luck for the devs... It just... does little sense.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jpaa said:
It does make sense about Metroid Prime Trilogy, but SSX Blur is pretty dull. C'mon, can't you put the "don't destroy your things with the wiimote" screen in the same dol?

During development they wouldn't want to sit through that everytime. When they finished developing and needed to put it in, they might just have run out of memory.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
smf said:
Jpaa said:
It does make sense about Metroid Prime Trilogy, but SSX Blur is pretty dull. C'mon, can't you put the "don't destroy your things with the wiimote" screen in the same dol?

During development they wouldn't want to sit through that everytime. When they finished developing and needed to put it in, they might just have run out of memory.
Or they were just lazy
tongue.gif

After all, as long as it works on an unmodified Wii, why should they care? They're free to do what they want
tongue.gif

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Probably memory constraints and the anti piracy thing is a side effect seeing as games with multiple dols where out long before any loaders and every game isn't using it as a quick fix.

The IOS reload happens when the dol is loaded. I guess the nintendo SDK does an IOS reload at the start like libogc used to.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I doubt alt. dols where designed specifically to hinder pirates. The idea has been in use on many consoles probably as long as there have been discs (I know PS2 definitely had multiple ELFs on some discs).

I know on some games they're for the different parts. For example, on PS2 in a James Bond game there was a driving ELF, a shooting ELF and a menu ELF. Each may have been developed by a seperate team, compiled for testing and then stuck together on the disc, simpler than trying to combine them all into one binary.

cwstjdenobs said:
Probably memory constraints and the anti piracy thing is a side effect seeing as games with multiple dols where out long before any loaders and every game isn't using it as a quick fix.

The IOS reload happens when the dol is loaded. I guess the nintendo SDK does an IOS reload at the start like libogc used to.

libogc doesn't anymore?

DownSince86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jpaa said:
Metal Slug Anthology is also curious, since you use an alternative dol for one of its games, but not for the other five.

I can answer this one.

Metal Slug 6 was originally programed for the Atomiswave arcade platform where the rest of the games on that disc were originally programed for the Neo-Geo. So the reason they use a separate .dol in that game is due to the fact that they are emulating two entirely different machines.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SifJar said:
cwstjdenobs said:

libogc doesn't anymore?

No, if I remember rightly because it should be up to the app itself, but I can't remember if it was the latest release or the one before, and can't find the release notes anyhows. devkitpro.org is a mess...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, ohkay