Why cant nintendo give us a nintendo 64

S

Saiyan Lusitano

You missed out on a lot of great games if you didn't play PS2. :mellow:
It's not my fault. The damn console kept getting laser disc issues so I couldn't play my games. :(

EDIT:

Daytona USA CCE, Sega Rally, NiGHTS into Dream, Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams, Virtua fighter 2

Funnily enough, I can't think of even one game worth buying a PS1 for... :)
Not even a single PS1 game, you say?

- Ape Escape
- Bloody Roar 2
- Bushido Blade 2
- Cyberbots
- Klonoa
- Ghost in the Shell
- Die Hard Trilogy
- Crash Bandicoot
- Crash Bandicoot 2
- Crash Bandicoot 3
- Crash Team Racing
- Spyro the Dragon
- Spyro the Dragon 2
- Spyro the Dragon 3
- Metal Gear Solid
- Dead or Alive
- Tekken 3
- Gran Turismo
- Gran Turismo 2
- Pandemonium
- Pandemonium 2
- Psychic Force
- Driver 2

The list goes on and on.

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daytona USA CCE, Sega Rally, NiGHTS into Dream, Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams, Virtua fighter 2

There's a few. The main one would have to be Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. :grog:
Yeah, I really have no answer as for what Nintendo could do to improve 3rd party support because I've been kinda tuned out of the industry for a while and mostly play older games, but I certainly hope they find a way to improve relationships very, very soon because I want Nintendo to become relevant in the mainstream gaming culture once again. I like mostly Japanese games and a strong Nintendo would be a strong counterbalance to Sony and MS whose systems & games are very similar.
I'm honestly not concerned about them on the console front. I have a HTPC for couch multiplayer PC games, so as long as all the multiplayer games I'm interested in come to PC, I'll be happy on that front. The main thing I hope Nintendo keeps doing is putting out decent affordable handhelds. As for what they could do to get third party devs on board is actually work with them and make friendly dev kits and tools. Also, respond to questions the same day devs ask them, not a week later. If Nintendo wants them on board, they need to invest time, effort, and maybe some money into them.

Last edited by TecXero,

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a few. The main one would have to be Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. :grog:

I'm honestly not concerned about them on the console front. I have a HTPC for couch multiplayer PC games, so as long as all the multiplayer games I'm interested in come to PC, I'll be happy on that front. The main thing I hope Nintendo keeps doing is putting out decent affordable handhelds. As for what they could do to get third party devs on board is actually work with them and make friendly dev kits and tools. Also, respond to questions the same day devs ask them, not a week later. If Nintendo wants them on board, they need to invest time, effort, and maybe some money into them.

I'm even more worried about the handheld market in the long term because of the ridiculously rapid rise of shitty, low quality pay2win ios/android shit. It's cutting into the dedicated handheld market quite a bit and I imagine it's only going to get worse. I'm admittedly a cynical pessimist(especially when it comes to business & politics) by nature so my views of things are often too grim but I also hope dedicated handhelds and the quality games that come along with that medium stay around for a good long time. One could argue that most of the best games being released today are on the 3DS(wish the Vita would sell) because the Wii U isn't doing well and big ambitious console games are more expensive than ever to make which severely limits creativity. Risks can be taken more often and with fewer consequences with handheld titles.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm even more worried about the handheld market in the long term because of the ridiculously rapid rise of shitty, low quality pay2win ios/android shit. It's cutting into the dedicated handheld market quite a bit and I imagine it's only going to get worse. I'm admittedly a cynical pessimist(especially when it comes to business & politics) by nature so my views of things are often too grim but I also hope dedicated handhelds and the quality games that come along with that medium stay around for a good long time. One could argue that most of the best games being released today are on the 3DS(wish the Vita would sell) because the Wii U isn't doing well and big ambitious console games are more expensive than ever to make which severely limits creativity. Risks can be taken more often and with fewer consequences with handheld titles.
I think it's only cutting into those people that only picked up a handheld to play games like Harvest Moon. People who want something easy to pick up, waste time on, and put back down. People who are into more intense games aren't playing those more intense games on a smartphone. Yeah, they lost some of the market, but they still have a sustainable market that isn't going anywhere for a while.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

- Ape Escape
- Bloody Roar 2
- Bushido Blade 2
- Cyberbots
- Klonoa
- Ghost in the Shell
- Die Hard Trilogy
- Crash Bandicoot
- Crash Bandicoot 2
- Crash Bandicoot 3
- Crash Team Racing
- Spyro the Dragon
- Spyro the Dragon 2
- Spyro the Dragon 3
- Metal Gear Solid
- Dead or Alive
- Tekken 3
- Gran Turismo
- Gran Turismo 2
- Pandemonium
- Pandemonium 2
- Psychic Force
- Driver 2

The list goes on and on.

I didn't say it has no games. I said there were no games worth buying it for.

Point was people have different definition of what makes up a good game

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Really?
There were many games that made it Worth Buying It in its time.
In there you sure had Gran Turismo II, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, SoTN... Or things I liked like Deception III.
Actually, there were a lot of games that made it worth it for the majority of gamers of the time.
I don't see any other console with a better software library in the 1996-2000 timeframe.
Hell, the PS1 was my unbeaten JRPG machine for a long time (along with SNES). I won't even list JRPGs that made it worth it because the list would go on and on, and there were gems.

Reactions: cvskid

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really?
In there you sure had Gran Turismo II, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, SoTN... Or things I liked like Deception III.
Actually, there were a lot of games that made it worth it for the majority of gamers of the time.
I don't see any other console with a better software library in the 1996-2000 timeframe.
Hell, the PS1 was my unbeaten JRPG machine for a long time (along with SNES). I won't even list JRPGs that made it worth it because the list would go on and on, and there were gems.
I guess playstation consoles just aren't for him.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Really?

I'm well aware that made it worthwhile for you and 'the majority of gamers of the time'.

Saturn

Good for you, and all the people who like JRPGs!

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

- Ape Escape
- Bloody Roar 2
- Bushido Blade 2
- Cyberbots
- Klonoa
- Ghost in the Shell
- Die Hard Trilogy
- Crash Bandicoot
- Crash Bandicoot 2
- Crash Bandicoot 3
- Crash Team Racing
- Spyro the Dragon
- Spyro the Dragon 2
- Spyro the Dragon 3
- Metal Gear Solid
- Dead or Alive
- Tekken 3
- Gran Turismo
- Gran Turismo 2
- Pandemonium
- Pandemonium 2
- Psychic Force
- Driver 2

The list goes on and on.

Does the list go on and on? Out of all those games I would only recommend Metal Gear Solid as a game worth playing from start to end.

If you are not playing for nostalgia, the above list, with the exception of MGS, does not have any games worth playing completely through.

If you're into rpg's (I am not) apparently castlevania is alright.

But really to play a game for pure fun from start to end, I can really only pick out one game from my knowledge of the ps1 library.

Time crisis would be a suggestion along with the other Namco shooters, as they are fun. But unless you have a CRT tv still, they cannot be played as intended.

EDIT - I'm not saying that I'm saying all games on the ps1 besides MGS are bad. I'm just saying those types of games (eg Spiro, GT, crash) have been redone a lot better by newer games are really are not worth your time unless it's for nostalgia.

,MGS has obviously been redone better by newer games, but I personally think that the game plays so well and is not frustrating or broken, that it is still a valuable play through.

Last edited by laudern,

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Then you would be absolutely, positively wrong.

"People" you speak of may have "different definitions" of what makes up a "good game", but what the Playstation had was an immense variety in every genre, creating mass appeal that sold systems. You had your 2D platformers and Metroidvanias like the MMX series and Castlevania, Symphony of the Night. You had your sports games. You had your racing games like Gran Turismo. You had your FPS games, with Medal of Honor, Doom, Quake II and my personal favorite, Descent. You had your Survival Horror games, with titles like Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Parasite Eve. You had your fighting games, your Street Fighters and such. You had Grand Theft Auto. You had your stealth titles like Metal Gear Solid. You had your Tactics games, with FF Tactics. And of course you had a massive selection of RPGs- the Persona series was on the Playstation, as was Final Fantasy and many, many others.

You can have your own opinion of what makes a good game, but the sheer amount of mind boggling variety on the system makes the statement "there were no games worth buying it for" ludicrous.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
"You can have an opinion, but it's wrong". Nice

If there were games I felt were worth buying a PS1 for, I would have bought one. I didn't - I think that pretty much backs up the fact that there were no games that made buying a PS1 worthwhile for me.

Muffins

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A man looked up at the sky. The sky was a bright blue- it was a gorgeous summer day.

The man stuck his fist in the air and declared to the world: "It is my opinion that this sky is beige and it is raining!"

The world looked at the man and his opinion, shook its head and continued turning.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up