Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The Xbox overheating was a very common problem for both Xbox and 360

Original Xbox overheating?
Hardly, unless you got a very dusty console.
The original Xbox wasn't so much prone to overheating (if all, the laster versions should be more prone to overheating since they never changed the cooling design in it ;p

In all honesty, without early adopters, developers and manufacturers will get nowhere.
Buying a console at launch isn't stupid, it's what the end user wants.

If I had the money for a Xbone then I'd get an Xbone at launch.
Can't care much if there aren't enough games that interest me for it but I still got me 360 to play on.

I completely agree with you.
To be honest, I love older games with "horrible graphics" and low res far more then the newer games.
Granted they look good and are amazing to play but in the end, it's still a game, meant to be enjoyed.

And that's where you can separate the graphixz kiddies from the real gamers.
But hey, it's the Internet, where people bitch and argue about everything.
Even things as simple as toothbrushes.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Original Xbox overheating?
Hardly, unless you got a very dusty console.
The original Xbox wasn't so much prone to overheating (if all, the laster versions should be more prone to overheating since they never changed the cooling design in it ;p

In all honesty, without early adopters, developers and manufacturers will get nowhere.
Buying a console at launch isn't stupid, it's what the end user wants.

If I had the money for a Xbone then I'd get an Xbone at launch.
Can't care much if there aren't enough games that interest me for it but I still got me 360 to play on.

Mine most likely had damaged fans or something because it was brand new and mine wasn't the only one that had that problem. Everyone I knew who got their xbox at the same time had problems with it.
Now of course I wish I still had the system because back then I didn't bother opening it up and just returned it for a new one.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Mine most likely had damaged fans or something because it was brand new and mine wasn't the only one that had that problem. Everyone I knew who got their xbox at the same time had problems with it.
Now of course I wish I still had the system because back then I didn't bother opening it up and just returned it for a new one.

Odd, I hardly heard of overheating problems nor was it as bad as the 360 tho.
Overall the old Xbox stays relatively cool (50ish C does UnleashX display on mine)

It could be a production error.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Odd, I hardly heard of overheating problems nor was it as bad as the 360 tho.
Overall the old Xbox stays relatively cool (50ish C does UnleashX display on mine)

It could be a production error.

I actually have a harder time finding someone who didn't have overheating problems with the 360 at launch and I even traveled half way across the country to hear people talking about the same problem for the launch version of the 360.
The Xbox original heating problem seemed to be isolated, but at that time I did see threads on other sites about people talking about their xbox overheating. Quite possibly the EU version was repaired before the release. I mean the US version was released on November 15, 2001, the EU version was released on March 14, 2002 (source). For the 360, November 22, 2005 US and December 2, 2005 EU (source). So the Xbox had several months to fix any problems, but not so much for the 360, which even the 360 article mentions the overheating problem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Technical_problems
So it wasn't so isolated with the 360.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I actually have a harder time finding someone who didn't have overheating problems with the 360 at launch and I even traveled half way across the country to hear people talking about the same problem for the launch version of the 360.
The Xbox original heating problem seemed to be isolated, but at that time I did see threads on other sites about people talking about their xbox overheating. Quite possibly the EU version was repaired before the release. I mean the US version was released on November 15, 2001, the EU version was released on March 14, 2002 (source). For the 360, November 22, 2005 US and December 2, 2005 EU (source). So the Xbox had several months to fix any problems, but not so much for the 360, which even the 360 article mentions the overheating problem
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360#Technical_problems
So it wasn't so isolated with the 360.

Interesting.
I'd deffo say that it's a production error then.
But then again, November 2001 to March 2002 is 4 months.
MS's stresskits would've had overheating issues before they would make a change in manufacturing.
It normally takes a couple of months before changes in production will become permanent.
That as well as the Xboxes already ready to be shipped to Europe would've been called back then.

Yeh the 360 overheating is no news to me xd
All Xenons/Zephyrs will overheat no matter what.
Falcons, well if you keep them properly maintained they'll last a long time.
Jaspers, pretty RRoD proof.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Interesting.
I'd deffo say that it's a production error then.
But then again, November 2001 to March 2002 is 4 months.
MS's stresskits would've had overheating issues before they would make a change in manufacturing.
It normally takes a couple of months before changes in production will become permanent.
That as well as the Xboxes already ready to be shipped to Europe would've been called back then.

Yeh the 360 overheating is no news to me xd
All Xenons/Zephyrs will overheat no matter what.
Falcons, well if you keep them properly maintained they'll last a long time.
Jaspers, pretty RRoD proof.

I wish I could dig up something on it, but all I can find is 360 overheating. So most likely they were just production errors like you said.
As I said, I didn't open my system at the time, so really anything could have been wrong with it and I just didn't check. Even if I did, I would have most likely not known what I was looking for.

Makes me kinda wish I could repeat the events to do some testing, but the Xbox I own now is from a later production and I haven't had a single problem with it.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Which backs up my point. Sure you can put the card in SLI but you spend 2x the money which turns out to be more expensive than console. Most gamers will overclock? Nope, PC enthusiast (those who will buy something expensive like 6800 Ultra/Extreme) only accounts about 5 to 10% of PC market share and those who will overclock is even smaller within. Everything you said comes back to bite you Kirito-kun, PC gaming is expensive. It is not going to be cheaper than buying a console.

And 4K monitor? Again you need CF & SLI at this point, which again is uber expensive. PC gaming may get you better graphics, but extra money you spent on it combine with the need of dealing DRM such as GFWL or SecuROM. Yeah, put it simply, PC gaming has a very high upkeep cost. Console on the otherhand is cheaper and simpler. You like pretty graphics Kirito-kun? That's fine, just don't assume most gamers share your vision because we don't. Like the_randomize have said, most gamers aren't going to lose sleep over the fact that some console games can't do 60 fps, 1080p, VR gaming, etc.

Reactions: Sicklyboy and NEP

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I wish I could dig up something on it, but all I can find is 360 overheating. So most likely they were just production errors like you said.
As I said, I didn't open my system at the time, so really anything could have been wrong with it and I just didn't check. Even if I did, I would have most likely not known what I was looking for.

Makes me kinda wish I could repeat the events to do some testing, but the Xbox I own now is from a later production and I haven't had a single problem with it.

I do recall the original Xbox (1.0) having a GPU fan.
Maybe that could be the issue ;]

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Xbox overheating was a very common problem for both Xbox and 360, the PS2 problem not so common

The original Xbox didn't overheat, not saying no system ever overheated, but it wasn't a common issue. On early PS2's DRE was a major epidemic, only after the mass RROD on 360 did it seem small in comparison.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The original Xbox didn't overheat, not saying no system ever overheated, but it wasn't a common issue. On early PS2's DRE was a major epidemic, only after the mass RROD on 360 did it seem small in comparison.

I must have just been an isolated problem with a few release batches

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completely agree with you.
To be honest, I love older games with "horrible graphics" and low res far more then the newer games.
Granted they look good and are amazing to play but in the end, it's still a game, meant to be enjoyed.

And that's where you can separate the graphixz kiddies from the real gamers.
But hey, it's the Internet, where people bitch and argue about everything.
Even things as simple as toothbrushes.

>implying "graphixz kiddies" are a real thing and not a strawman argument created by video game hipsters.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
"Overheating" XBox'es were a frequent problem, pretty much a contemporary RROD if not worse. Over 14 million power cords were recalled by Microsoft in 2005 and it didn't fix the problems which were rooted in the PSU, not the cords. According to Microsoft, 1 in 10 000 of the early systems was a fire hazard if this new cord was not used, the difference being that the cord had a trip which fried the console in an event of an excessive electrical discharge from the PSU, which was more favorable than burning the house down, because that happened a couple of times.

Of course this is a completely different kind of "overheating", but it still counts in my book. :tpi:

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the money and are into the homebrew scene, first edition consoles kept on lower firmware are a bit of a requirement. It's a bit of a risk if you wait, dontcha know. Though it's not a very strong reason, it is one.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only reason for me to even consider a PS4 now, is because I know for a fact that Sony will find a way to neuter it in a revised model.

Comparatively, a revised model of an Xbox usually isn't losing any functionality. I would also say Nintendo, but... I'd been proven wrong there. At the least, Nintendo waits for a while before they start cutting stuff out.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hey guys...did you watch the news? Apparently, there are millions of stupid people out there. :)

Hmm...okay, I admit: when saying it like that, it doesn't sound like news*. But I'm bringing it up nonetheless as it's relevant to this thread. ;)

*I'd make a reference to Americans, but I don't think I've got the right audience for such a joke.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1