DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ron975 said:
Seriously, what is so great about anime? It's a Japanese cartoon, why is it so ultimately great?

I find anime portrays emotion alot better than most sitcoms or dramas/crap you find on T.V. and overall it's just so much more enjoyable for me to watch.

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
SatanicSaint said:
Avatar:The Legend of Aang,Rocko's Modern Life,Angry Beavers,Fairly Oddparents,Rugrats,Spongebob and Simpsons etc.

Basically anime, cancelled, cancelled, very rarely worked on, cancelled, no longer good, and no longer good.

why would being cancelled matter in this situation? many animes have ended so its not like an american cartoon ending is different.

also, "no longer good" is just a personal opinion
wink.gif
i still find the simpsons one of the best on tv now. it is really the only thing that fox has that i watch anymore.

as for animes theres only a handful that i have ever really liked, i do not watch religiously (nor do i with american cartoons). there are both animes and american cartoons in my top list, and i dont intend to ever seperate them because i like them at different levels.

top list (no order, because i like them at different levels
tongue.gif
):
detective conan (i lied, this is my favorite show), daria, paranoia agent, simpsons, adventure time, foster's home for imaginary friends, dr katz, spirited away (ok, not a tv show but still.), home movies, undergrads, 3 south, clone high, paprika (still not a tv show
tongue.gif
), sealab 2021

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The difference between anime and cartoons is as follows.

Western cartoons are for kdis and aimed at kids. Disney, Nickelodeon etc.. all produced and targeted at an younger audience.

There are ofcourse western cartoons that are for adults and young-adults like the older Disney movies can be watched.

Anime has such diversity that every group of people has something for them from infants to grandparents, theres an anime for all
I personally love anime because its so different from the usual crap on TV. The stories are intresting, the animation is done brilliantly and the plots are so divers instead of the usual "Save the world defuse bomb in last 5 sec beat up dead guy" kind of crap.

Now I know not all tv shows are like this but most are. And then theres the endless shit called Reality TV

In short anime is what actual TV should be
smile.gif

Posts merged

Law said:
"oh my god anime is so much better because western cartoons suck"

Everybody who has said this has never seen The Tick. Fact.

edit: vvvvvvvvv alternatively, they have incredibly bad taste and are giant Japanophiles.

Seen The Tick, love it, its one of the few western cartoons I enjoyed. Together with Freakazoid ;>

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok it's not like everything out of Japan is pure gold, case in point Panty and Stocking, which looks like crap, and frankly I don't give a fuck if you like it.

Because I also think South Park is crap.

But generally speaking, out of 20 shows in a season, you likely will only find 5 that really suck enough to call them utter crap.

In the case of North American cartoons, you will be lucky to even find more than 20. Heck finding more than 10 might require effort.

And in Japan, chances are there are another 20 more shows next season, and the next and the next meaning you might end up seeing dozens and dozens of shows.

In North America, they will offer you maybe a dozen shows this year, and most of them will be nauseating kiddie films you will learn to hate if you have kids.

North America really only knows how to make cutting edge truly great animated feature films. How to Train Your Dragon was the last one I saw, and it was great.

Anime is culturally unique though, and it is not even remotely similar to 'cartoons' beyond the fact both are animated film.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Psionic Roshambo only if you're electroboom