Hacking Who hasn't yet installed arm9loaderhax? Why?

Why?

• Total voters

pbanj

The "friendly" neighborhood sandwich
Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
a lot of people report bricks while downgrading and while getting otp I've read the process and seems to risky
In the beginning there was(just like downgrading from 10.3) but now it comes down to user error. People think they can skip parts of the guide they shouldn't or try to do stuff they shouldn't (like use the otp from another system). But if you are happy with your setup there is really no rush to change over

XiaoDii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
It's more complex and risky to setup a9lh, compared to setting-up menuhax and cfw.
It actually took me almost a whole day to setup it, leaving me worrying about bricking in every step.

Just Passing By

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more complex and risky to setup a9lh, compared to setting-up menuhax and cfw.
It actually took me almost a whole day to setup it, leaving me worrying about bricking in every step.
But you did it! And all that stress is [probably] gone! Ready for the next big thing next month that'll not double, no triple your chances of bricking? (I'm kidding btw).

mk.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Still trying to figure out what is arm9loaderhax and catching up on various updates after leaving 3DS gathering dust for almost 10 months.

Margen67

Dirty entited pirate
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you follow the guide you shouldn't worry about bricking.

Minasodrom

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
bricked the first time because of random crash while downgrading. but my entrypoint still worked on the frankenfirm and i could try again without buying oot. then it worked without issues.
need to be really unlucky to brick though.

Reactions: Just Passing By

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I start with menuhax + GW emunand on a N3DS, can I keep my games/saves from emunand? This sounds kind of fun, a lot more than I'm currently getting out of my 3DS

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
I would say downgrading for menuhax is more risky. For the simple fact there are so many guides for them that all say different crap. They are outdated and a lot use older version of the downgraders that had higher chances of bricking. With that said the otp guide can be used as a guide for menuhax(just stop after part 3) that is updated using newer tools, taking a lot of the risk out of the first downgrade(to 9.2).

Everyone seems to forget all the bricks from downgrading from 10.3 and how many updates all the tools got. Give it time and people will forget about how people bricked when a9lh first started, the main difference is the tools and the guide prob won't change much.

Last edited by pbanj,
Reactions: Just Passing By

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant official support. Not being stuck on 9.0 emuNAND.
Still doesn't make sense. You're stuck with ~9.2 sysnand anyway while you wait. You don't have to be, and you don't have to wait. You can just be ready to immediately run their new launcher when it comes out, and run the current launcher the same way you're running it now. Your argument is completely invalid. :wacko:

If I start with menuhax + GW emunand on a N3DS, can I keep my games/saves from emunand? This sounds kind of fun, a lot more than I'm currently getting out of my 3DS
N3ds? Why not install 4.5 MSET? It has a much better boot rate than menuhax, and if data management is a problem, you can grab it from the ISO place and install it to your home screen.

Last edited by urherenow,

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N3ds? Why not install 4.5 MSET? It has a much better boot rate than menuhax, and if data management is a problem, you can grab it from the ISO place and install it to your home screen.
I had 4.5 MSET previously and switched to menuhax for the autoboot convenience, since I never use sysnand for anything. Is N3DS a problem with A9LH or something?

Minasodrom

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I would say downgrading for menuhax is more risky. For the simple fact there are so many guides for them that all say different crap. They are outdated and a lot use older version of the downgraders that had higher chances of bricking. With that said the otp guide can be used as a guide for menuhax(just stop after part 3) that is updated using newer tools, taking a lot of the risk out of the first downgrade(to 9.2)

while i completely agree with your post, how did the downgrading process become better than julians sysupdater for 10.3 users?

pbanj

Trophies
Website
pbanjin.space
XP
Country
United States
while i completely agree with your post, how did the downgrading process become better than julians sysupdater for 10.3 users?
The browser and native firm get flashed last and the updater checks the files before flashing. When it first started if it failed you where norm fucked but now it pretty much just ends in a soft brick that recovery menu can fix.

XiaoDii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I would say downgrading for menuhax is more risky. For the simple fact there are so many guides for them that all say different crap. They are outdated and a lot use older version of the downgraders that had higher chances of bricking. With that said the otp guide can be used as a guide for menuhax(just stop after step 3) and that is updated using newer tools, taking a lot of the risk out of the first downgrade(to 9.2).

Everyone seems to forget all the bricks from downgrading from 10.3 and how many updates all the tools got. Give it time and people will forget about how people bricked when a9lh first started, the main difference is the tools and the guide prob won't change much.
Well, I'm just comparing the parts from Plailect's guide. Apparently, following this guide, I've got more warnings for risk of bricking in bold font in the "getting the OTP.bin" part than other parts.

Last edited by XiaoDii,

Emenaria

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is it technically impossible to boot into Gateway mode without an EmuNAND 9.2 for now? Maybe I should have SysNAND 10.7 + Emu(Red)NAND 9.2 on my SD card until Gateway officially supports A9LH?
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki/Part-5-(arm9loaderhax-&-AuReiNand)
I followed this step-by-step guide to install A9LH + AuReiNAND, but I ended up without an EmuNAND, apparently because I selected the "Format SD Without EmuNAND" option. I guess next time I should choose the "Format SD for EmuNAND (default/legacy/minsize)" option to have an EmuNAND. Which one of the three options would you recommend?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-hb-launcher-mod-cia-for-gateway.416449/
By the way, I'll use this .cia to boot into Gateway mode from EmuNAND.

Last edited by Emenaria,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA63mm5FnMo&embeds_referring_euri=https%3A%2F%2Flostmediawiki.com...