Gaming Which titles would you recommend that are great or often overlooked?

Danjal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For the EO series, you don't have to draw the entire map. Automapping will provide you with a basic map, though you do have to go in and detail it. (By basic map I mean it'll show land blocks.)

I'll see about getting shots of a automap and detailed map.
Okay, that'd be awesome.
And auto-mapping definitely sounds better than having to do it entirely manually.

The concept of Legend of Grimrock 2 where you can add 'detailed' notes, but the base map gets made automatically I kinda like.
So I guess it'd be similar to that, but more elaborate?

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I said though, the automap is only going to map out the land you walk over - It's not going to show doors, or water, or anything intresting (With the exception of minibosses, their threat level, and current state)

Here's a automap

R4CHnjU.jpg

Here's the detailed map

AIkReDW.jpg

Quick explaination on the detailed map - The orange/yellow circle in C3 denotes where your airship is - So that is your main exit from the area. Blue tiles are water, and the green arrow denotes a hidden passage way (More specifically, it denotes the direction you activate it from - after activated you can pass through either side), the little pickaxe denotes a mining location, and the door denotes... Well... a door. (In this case, the door is unlocked so the icon has a open center - You've also got a closed center icon you can use to denote locked doors)

The big purple dot denotes a miniboss's current location. (Yes, they do move around the map) Their are two colors to pay attention to - One the main color of the dot. Purple means that the miniboss is passive - Basically, it's not going to follow and try to attack you, unless you walk right into it. If it's red, then that means it will. The second is the glowing color around the dot, and it comes in three colors - Red, yellow, and blue. This is a rough indication of how powerful it is - Red means run like hell, yellow means you might be able to take it, blue means you'll easily be able to kill it.

There are a lot of other things you could add to maps, but this is pretty much as detailed at this map needs to be since it's the starting dungeon. The maps can get pretty complex later on, especially when the area involves multiple stair accesses and teleports. (And now that I think about it, I'll go get some shots of more complex maps)

One thing I didn't show on the map is autopathing. It's a set of arrows you can place to define a movement path for yourself, and when it's enabled then you'll automatically follow it. It's useful for grinding monsters.

Master X

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a shot of a more complex map.

IgwYL15.jpg

The numbers are denoting linked teleport locations. And the yellow box is... Hmm, can't remember. It was a point of intrest for something, but I didn't check the annotation for it when I took this (Yeah, their is also a icon you can overlay ontop of others to add a text description to it)

EO Untold uses the same mapping system as well, so if you're interested in IV then you should get Untold as well. And a remake for II is coming to Japan in a couple weeks, so as long as it gets localized (which, given Untold's success and it being Altus, it probably will.) it should get a EU release sometime mid to late 2015.

Reactions: Danjal

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i am surprised how good harvest moon the lost valley is. This could be my favorite after friends of mineral town;)

it is a mix between minecraft and harves moon (although i never played minecraft, but it seems to be).

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad to see that someone else appreciates the unsung hero of a launch title known as TC's GR:SW. I love how it has hotseat multiplayer capability. Just be prepared to be use every profanity known to mankind when trying to get the Gold rating for the Turret Defense challenge map.

Here's a couple more SRPGs that are missing from your list:

Project X Zone
Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark
Legend of Korra: A New Era Begins

While these are DS games, these are also some SRPGs worth picking up:

Dawn of Heroes
Hero's Saga: Laevatein
Bleach: Third Phantom
SRT: OG Saga Endless Frontier

The following games aren't all RPGs, but are still solid titles nonetheless:

Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage
Adventure Time: Secret of the Nameless Kingdom
Regular Show: Mordecai and Rigby in 8-bit World
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Shovel Knight
James Noir's Hollywood Crimes
Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion

If you have a DS flashcart, there are also some fan-translations that are worth checking out:

Soma Bringer
Blood of Bahamut
7th Dragon
Archaic Sealed Heat
Retro Game Challenge 2
Ace Attorney Investigations 2

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Project X Zone
Is this really a good game, I've heard super mixed views on it...?

OP if you can get your hands on an Inazuma Eleven game, I wholeheartedly recommend any of the new IE games. They're funny anime soccer games, very original and developed by Level-5.

Danjal

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm glad to see that someone else appreciates the unsung hero of a launch title known as TC's GR:SW. I love how it has hotseat multiplayer capability. Just be prepared to be use every profanity known to mankind when trying to get the Gold rating for the Turret Defense challenge map.

Here's a couple more SRPGs that are missing from your list:
**snip**
I'll have a look at those titles.

OP if you can get your hands on an Inazuma Eleven game, I wholeheartedly recommend any of the new IE games. They're funny anime soccer games, very original and developed by Level-5.
Wasn't a big fan of the anime, but its okay. I'll have a look at the games.

Thanks for the suggestions.

zhdarkstar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it was a really good game, in spite of its flaws. When it comes to Namco's big crossover games, the amount of appeal and enjoyment is directly tied to the player's familiarity with all of the referenced franchises. I recommend taking a look at the cast of characters before committing to the game. If you don't know at least 50-60% of the names listed, you're likely to perceive the game as a just a clusterfuck of characters instead.

endoverend

AKA zooksman
Trophies
Website
zooksman.com
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity.
The game wasn't as hyped as other PMD series games, but holds its place in the series well and is a great game in its own right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn