Which games can you go back to over and over, and they never get old?

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GTA IV and V for me. I just love going around, driving, flying, killing, etc. lol

For me, COD, MOH & SPLINTER CELL.

Which Splinter Cell? The first one?

My favorite is Chaos Theory and I've finished the story mode multiple times on Xbox and 3DS (well, it was on the 2DS). It's just so much fun to stealthily kill the enemies.

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a couple of games I never get tired of:
-Point n' click games, mainly Monkey island 1-3 and fate of Atlantis. These are a needle of nostalgia for me.
-Super Mario World
-Zelda lttp, oot and Windwaker.
- Heroes of might & magic 3 & 4 (yes, I'm one of the few that likes 4)

And the one I probably play the the most, and have endless playability:
Cities Skylines

AncientBoi

THEE GAY WARLORD™ - Defender of GAY Rights
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GTA IV and V for me. I just love going around, driving, flying, killing, etc. lol

Which Splinter Cell? The first one?

My favorite is Chaos Theory and I've finished the story mode multiple times on Xbox and 3DS (well, it was on the 2DS). It's just so much fun to stealthily kill the enemies.

CHAOS THEORY :wub:

Thattoastyboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some folks don't like to re-read a book they've already read. Some don't like to replay a game they've already beaten.

But there are some things that are so good, you keep going back, even if you know them inside and out.

For me, as far as gaming, it's probably most of the old-skool Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games. I probably play Final Fantasy 1 on various platforms at least once or twice a year. Same with FFIV, and the first three Dragon Quest games. I know them all by heart to the point that I sometimes fall asleep just running through the entire game from memory.

I usually pass out by the time I get to Elftown.

As far as new games, I could play Skyrim until I died. And almost any Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, but fighting games don't really count for this, I think. It's always different, no matter what.

What are your favorites that never get old?
Half life 2 is still great

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CHAOS THEORY :wub:
Likewise.

I tried playing Pandora's Tomorrow and gave up because it felt very dated, also tried Blacklist and it's probably a decent stealth game, but you know, no Michael Ironside no Sam Fisher / Splinter Cell.

Conviction was fun although it's not a traditional SC game. And Double Agent? I just couldn't get used to it for some reason.

Ubisoft made Chaos Theory which is a masterpiece and then the rest are kind of mixed-bags.

dudeguy2022

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any Zelda, Quake, or Dark Souls game,
because Zelda games are just really fun and have great replayability
because Quake games have huge modding communities who are constantly adding content to the game
because Dark Souls games always have an extra achievement or side quest that I have to completely replay the game for

Reactions: WalterSlovotsky

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
1st Zelda was easily one of the Zelda games I replayed the most. Mario 3 and World were my favorite Mario games to replay--Mario 3 being a shorter game made it significantly easier to.

Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda to replay.

Earthbound (Mother 2) and Chrono Trigger were my favorite (J)RPGs.

I want to replay FFVI, but I can't settle on which version.

All of those eventually get old, though. Don't think I have a particular game that never gets old.

I enjoy pinball games, which are built on the concept of replay-ability , lol. They don't get "old" for me per se, but I have to switch up the tables sometimes. I actually "beat" a table once. I completed the tasks and then it was like, "good job, game over". I didn't know a pinball game could be "completed".

There was also a game called subspace, now continuum that used to be a lot of fun.

Last edited by tabzer,

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1st Zelda was easily one of the Zelda games I replayed the most. Mario 3 and World were my favorite Mario games to replay--Mario 3 being a shorter game made it significantly easier to.

Link to the Past is my favorite Zelda to replay.

Earthbound (Mother 2) and Chrono Trigger were my favorite (J)RPGs.

I want to replay FFVI, but I can't settle on which version.

All of those eventually get old, though. Don't think I have a particular game that never gets old.

I enjoy pinball games, which are built on the concept of replay-ability , lol. They don't get "old" for me per se, but I have to switch up the tables sometimes. I actually "beat" a table once. I completed the tasks and then it was like, "good job, game over". I didn't know a pinball game could be "completed".

There was also a game called subspace, now continuum that used to be a lot of fun.
I have the SAME struggle with FFVI. I beat it only once in my life, and that was on the PSOne version back in 2000 (which is not great by today's standards), and I knew NOTHING about the game beyond what I had read in Nintendo Power.

I am currently right before the Opera scene on the GBA version of the game, following the Perfect LLG CLS challenge. I managed to get all of Gau's available Rages up to that point, and somehow just got sidetracked by other games. Gotta get back to that one soon. I think the GBA version is the best.

Reactions: tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I have the SAME struggle with FFVI. I beat it only once in my life, and that was on the PSOne version back in 2000 (which is not great by today's standards), and I knew NOTHING about the game beyond what I had read in Nintendo Power.

I am currently right before the Opera scene on the GBA version of the game, following the Perfect LLG CLS challenge. I managed to get all of Gau's available Rages up to that point, and somehow just got sidetracked by other games. Gotta get back to that one soon. I think the GBA version is the best.

Did you do the mods that tried to improve the sound and de-censorship? One of the most powerful moments in the game, the Celes torture scene, was noticeably toned down, and mods aren't available to revert it. If I didn't experience that on the SNES version when it came out, I may have not cared. Changing my memory of the game, though, throws a big roadblock for me.

WalterSlovotsky

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you do the mods that tried to improve the sound and de-censorship? One of the most powerful moments in the game, the Celes torture scene, was noticeably toned down, and mods aren't available to revert it. If I didn't experience that on the SNES version when it came out, I may have not cared. Changing my memory of the game, though, throws a big roadblock for me.
I did the one that crisps the screen up? Can't remember exactly what it was call, but it just makes the graphics a bit brighter. Was trying to go for as authentic an experience as possible, without any bugfixes or patches.

I was playing on mgba on my PS Vita, though, and I think I might copy it over to my Switch, instead.

Reactions: tabzer

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I've got a whole bunch. 2D (puzzle) platformers are my poison. They don't all age well, but I've got some tja at I just revisit after some years, around the point where it's like playing a new game...
NSMB...,wii, U, newer: just when I want some platforming
Wario land Gameboy.
Limbo, inside: horror at its finest. This is all about atmosphere
Tetris challenge (snes) : it's a reason of iirc panel de pon (no tetris at all) , but i just love battling against the Ai. Not really hard but not easy either
Death cells: unlocked probably 99%, but surviving until the end at cell 3 (of 5?) hasn't worked yet. Love the dlc model as well.
Stealth bastard deluxe 1&2. The way you sneak around, the dark humor and the excellent level design (note: saw on fanatical that these two cost 1 buck combined. That's a ridiculously good steal for a buck)
Tabletop simulator: kind of cheating since this is too test out tabletop games. Free content is just endless
Zelda: the oracles, awakening, minish cap and between worlds. Edit: and link to the past, I guess (for some reason that one clicked less than the others)
Celeste I've not yet replayed completely but I will at one point

Unreal would be there but pretty much all my gaming is on Steam deck now. And those just don't aim as smoothly(or rather: fun) on that device.

Edit: right... And for some mobile games:
Simon tatham puzzles: randomly generated logical puzzles. As hard as I want, none of the fluff.
Logic wiz: insane amount of sudoku's. Bought the endless premium pack for like twenty bucks and it was worth it
Temple gates board games: just breezy but puzzly games. Short but mind tingling. Current: race for the galaxy, roll for the galaxy, shards of infinity. Dominion I'm less of a fan because it requires thinking before action (strategy vs tactics), but i gotta my it's the most impressive one. And free, even though it's better than 99% of mobile apps.

Last edited by Taleweaver,
Trophies
XP
Binding of Isaac
Earthbound (Mother 2)
Skyrim / Oblivion (TES in general)
Terraria
Kings Quest
Pokemon (Gen III specifically)
Streets of Rage I / II
Darksiders I / II (havent played III yet)
Twilight Princess (fav Zelda game, lol)
Dishonored

I have a few others, but I'm having trouble remembering all of them atm.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: If anyone wants to get me those socks for Christmas... lol