Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

D

Deleted User

I bought a DSTwo when they were new for like $8-12, bundled it free when I sold my DSi. Didn't realize they were becoming valuable.

Something missing from the chart is things like Wii connectivity. I don't remember trying this with my DSTwo but my R4-SDHC couldn't connect Pokémon Platinum to PBR and Pokémon Ranch

Also, I think none on the list will let you send pokemon from gen 4 to gen 5 as it works by using download play on a DS with a gen 4 game inserted and reading the save from the inserted cart. Gen 5 to 6 is a similar issue. If you want one with this compatablity you would need a DS flash cart with an option to read a ROM like a retail cart (like the GameBoy and GBA Smart Cards apparently can do). Unfortunately I don't think any of the DS flash carts ever considered this, so make sure you have at least one gen 4 retail cart to send mons to gen 5 from and a retail gen 5 cart for gen 6 transfer

It's a real shame so many flash cart manufacturers forget about the franchise that is for most people the reason to by a handheld. Then again, people buying a handheld for pokemon probably already have the game before they discover flash carts (though it causes problems for hackroms).

sudosilman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to get into the flash card area of DS since i havent played my DS in forever and want to breathe new life into it, i did some research and found the DSTWO seems to be the best but i cant find anyone who isnt sold out. Why is this? Where can i find one?

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i want to get into the flash card area of DS since i havent played my DS in forever and want to breathe new life into it, i did some research and found the DSTWO seems to be the best but i cant find anyone who isnt sold out. Why is this? Where can i find one?
They are sold out everywhere because production has stopped for that flash cart since the supercard team is making a newer flash cart called the supercard dstwo+ which plays both ds and 3ds games on a single card. No information other then that is known about it though. No idea where you can get your hands on one now but if you do manage to find one expect to pay at least the price of a gateway 3ds or sky3ds since they are becoming rare/sought after. This flash cart seems like the next best thing.

http://www.modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html

Plays everything but snes, gba, and mame games like the supercard dstwo does.

D

Deleted User

They are sold out everywhere because production has stopped for that flash cart since the supercard team is making a newer flash cart called the supercard dstwo+ which plays both ds and 3ds games on a single card. No information other then that is known about it though. No idea where you can get your hands on one now but if you do manage to find one expect to pay at least the price of a gateway 3ds or sky3ds since they are becoming rare/sought after. This flash cart seems like the next best thing.

http://www.modchipsdirect.com/r4i-3ds-r4ds-wood.html

Plays everything but snes, gba, and mame games like the supercard dstwo does.
DS is a terrible console to play SNES games on anyway due to the sub 240 resolution (and If I recall that wasn't the only video issue I had on DSTWO's emulator). I never tried it but I'd expect MAME to be just as bad.
So you wouldn't really be missing anything. If you must play GBA ROMS use a slot 2 cart and the DS will play them natively which is slightly better than the emulator (unless it's a DSi).

sp957

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can flash carts not play Dsi enhanced games on a DSi?

I have Sonic Classic Collection on my flash cart, and I believe one of the enhanced functions it does is dim the bottom screen to conserve battery.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have Sonic Classic Collection on my flash cart, and I believe one of the enhanced functions it does is dim the bottom screen to conserve battery.

DSi enhanced games will run as if they were being used on a DS/Lite, UNLESS you are using a CycloDS iEvo. Good luck getting one though.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China

that function is present on the DS mode (using a normal DS flashcart). i remember the screen get dimmed...

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS is a terrible console to play SNES games on anyway due to the sub 240 resolution (and If I recall that wasn't the only video issue I had on DSTWO's emulator). I never tried it but I'd expect MAME to be just as bad.
So you wouldn't really be missing anything. If you must play GBA ROMS use a slot 2 cart and the DS will play them natively which is slightly better than the emulator (unless it's a DSi).

I can confirm that MAME was really poor. It only ran a handful of games properly and most were Z80 games that most of the good ones were already released in game collections. It wasn't worth the time getting the proper romsets. :rolleyes:

MrMiketheripper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, so I'm looking into getting into this scene. I currently have a 9.6.0 3DS and my girlfriend has a DSi (no idea on the firmware on that but since she locked herself out of her Wifi settings because she forgot the parental controls password, I'll assume it's older, I'll ask about the firmware later). I'm primarily looking to get this to play DS games without much care on DSi Enhanced functionality. HOWEVER, I would love to get Gameboy/GBA emulation also. Seeing as how the SuperCard DSTWO isn't in stock ANYWHERE and is also much more expensive, I was considering the R4i Gold 3DS card. Searches on GBA emulation aren't exactly clear and from what I see it's mostly poor. So, is there a place I can buy a DSTWO or should I just buy the R4i and live with the terrible emulation?

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi, so I'm looking into getting into this scene. I currently have a 9.6.0 3DS and my girlfriend has a DSi (no idea on the firmware on that but since she locked herself out of her Wifi settings because she forgot the parental controls password, I'll assume it's older, I'll ask about the firmware later). I'm primarily looking to get this to play DS games without much care on DSi Enhanced functionality. HOWEVER, I would love to get Gameboy/GBA emulation also. Seeing as how the SuperCard DSTWO isn't in stock ANYWHERE and is also much more expensive, I was considering the R4i Gold 3DS card. Searches on GBA emulation aren't exactly clear and from what I see it's mostly poor. So, is there a place I can buy a DSTWO or should I just buy the R4i and live with the terrible emulation?
The DSTWO is pretty rare nowadays. You can still find them online on shady sites but I wouldnt reccomend them. I believe I saw one going as high as 70 $ online due to its rarity. The one from r4ids.cn isn't bad either except that it sucks on GBA and SNES emulation.

MrMiketheripper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrMiketheripper

It's not a total solution (due to screen size and having to carry another system) but you might want to just pick up a K1 for GBA.
thats definitely an interesting concept, but a bit much. I think I'll stick with the R4i Gold, test out the GBA emulation, and if its really that bad I'll have to suck it up and play it on my desktop which isn't that big of a deal.

Thank you very much for your patience and help guys!

Gyron_Oldvic

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thats definitely an interesting concept, but a bit much. I think I'll stick with the R4i Gold, test out the GBA emulation, and if its really that bad I'll have to suck it up and play it on my desktop which isn't that big of a deal.

Thank you very much for your patience and help guys!

If you're interested in GBA, you could pick up a cheap DS Lite, a slot-2 card, and an R4.

MrMiketheripper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're interested in GBA, you could pick up a cheap DS Lite, a slot-2 card, and an R4.

That's something I would do except for the fact I can't stand the soft/squishy buttons on the DS Lite. Also, I had 3 DS Lites and the trigger buttons went on all of them (was gentle) so I'd prefer to stay away from them.

EDIT: I guess I should mention I have a hacked PSP laying around with a GBA emulator on it if worst comes to worst!

D

Deleted User

The DSTWO is pretty rare nowadays. You can still find them online on shady sites but I wouldnt reccomend them. I believe I saw one going as high as 70 $ online due to its rarity. The one from r4ids.cn isn't bad either except that it sucks on GBA and SNES emulation.
I wish I knew that when I sold my DSi ><

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @SylverReZ anything new in gaming?