Hardware Which External HardDrive should I get?

Haloman800

a real gril
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A 1TB Western Digital Portable Hard Drive for $110 dollars, or

A 2TB Western Digital Hard Drive for $85 dollars?

It seems like a no-brainer, but I really like the fact that the portable one ($110) doesn't need to be plugged in to a power outlet.

I already have a 1TB one (I'm getting rid of) that's not portable, and I have like 600GBs that I don't even use.

If they were both the same price, I'd go with the former, but that's not the case.

Please tell me your opinions!

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Any brand except for WD, those come with a virtual partion used for their crapware. On top of that, you can't remove the crapware, only disable it and you can't recover use of the used space.

So an advertised 1TB WD ext HDD has a usable space of a 750GB drive. The virtual partition is bigger on larger drives.

If you plan to use it with a Wii or a PS3, do not get a USB3 version of the device. It uses USB3 drivers in USB2 mode not straight USB2 drivers.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
well i have 3 WD HD and they don't have anything installed on them whatsoever, maybe older HD's have virtual partition, but not the newer ones.

as for the hard drives, get the mains powered one, usb powered one not work very well with game consoles because of the usb slot.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
I have 2 of these and they come with the VCD and crapware and it sucks alot of space off the drive to do it.

You two have an external in the first 2 column here, I got 2 in the other 3 column.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/external/portable/

All My Passport series comes with the VCD, you likely had it disabled from a previous install of a WD ext HDD.

qlum

Posting when needed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
mobility vs size/speed/price/(possible crap you need to remove from the hdd)
ones with external power are often faster but I don't know how much though

I personally would have chosen the 2tb one but really its your call if you think mobility is worth the downsides you should buy the portable one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: After my shower +1