DaMummy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have some x264 1080 videos i would like to watch from my ps3, how do i go about doing this an easy way, they are above 4gb so a simple, place it on a fat32 drive wont work, is there a certain directory i can upload it to using ftp? is there a file splitter i can use for such occasion, and recommendations are welcome

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can use lossless reencoding to split your files up.

virtualdub for avi .mpeg streamclip for MP4, MOV .Avidemux for mkv,avi and mp4

I just use avidemux when the 2 first one dont work (close to never) but you might like it.

I you have more questions don't hesitate!

DaMummy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ya will this just encode to a lower quality or does it actually split them up before i go about and do anything with my files, and do i then play them part by part or can i add them in like a playlist of sorts? and once again, this is my first time playing videos on a ps3, internal/external/or bd, so where do i put the video files in my say, usb stick?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not need to reencode/transcode, you can just split files (similar to how some films come as several files) and it will only take as long as your hard drive needs to make the couple of gigs the new files will become. They will probably come in parts but I recall the PS3 had something in the way of playlists. If using a USB drive they can be anywhere you like.

The term splitter is more used for demuxing type purposes so that is probably not the best search term although these days the distinction is not observed that much.

MP4 can be done with YAMB and MP4box
http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/MP4...uide_page5.html is pretty much what I would say (do note you will probably need to find a copy of mp4box but that is easy enough)

MKV (if you are leaving it as such) can be done with mkvtoolnix (just feed it into the mkvmerge program, if you are making something else demux the file and use YAMB mentioned above to make an MP4)
I doubt they would have wedged H264 into avi (indeed I am unsure if the format can get that big) so I will cross that bridge as an when. There are simple tools and slightly better tools but a marginally complex method (pretty much just do it at a keyframe rather than in the middle of a GOP). The option to split is in the global tab.

Do note putting files back together is considerably trickier than splitting them.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lossless means you don't lose any quality and its very fast because it does not reencode. I don't really like when people post after someone saying not to do what someone just told you to do.

If you go with fast answer its awesome but if you go with mine just choose a software and i will guide you thru it.
Also it will be splitted up in parts the size you choose and you will need to play em one by one and putting them back together is really easy so you dont need to keep the originals(at least with virtualdub and mpeg)

DaMummy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
guide me through avidemux, got an 7.94gb mkv file, want to split it in >4gb so i can throw it onto sdhc and play it on ps3, dont want to lose any quality, i got the 1080p release for a reason

WShep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Errr...get yourself a 16 gig usb flash drive, format it as fat32, copy over the movie, and you'll have no issues. I backed up my ps3 to a 32gb flash and ran in to no problems at all.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

DaMummy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well i would like to thank you, unfortunately for some odd reason it just wont create the files, it seems like its working, but theres nothing in the folder i created it in

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DaMummy said:
well i would like to thank you, unfortunately for some odd reason it just wont create the files, it seems like its working, but theres nothing in the folder i created it in
You forgot the part where it say open (in the tut)

DaMummy

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ya what exactly would i do there, i clicked on open, found the dir i want to put them in, and saved it as, say ts1a.mkv, at the end it looks like its performing the "jobs" even though the jobs take no more than 2min each, and when its done, theres nothing in the folder where i specified to save it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I think Switch 2 will launch about Christmas this year lol