Whats your Opinion on Piracy?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GBATemp was built on Piracy. I exaggerate but its true, back in the day this was a more seedy place. Im all for Piracy as I was part of this community back then too. Lets make GBATemp great again!
You don't think GBATemp is great right now? Just because warez links are forbidden? If you pay attention, there are hints to the names of warez sites posted practically everyday in the different threads. If you still cannot find them, then warez is just not for you. GBATemp is probably the best resource on the web for someone looking to hack his console. I think it's better than how it was at the beginning.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I already pay for my internet connection, so I pirate anything I want. Any time I need a pro-version of something to get the job done, I'll pirate it. If a new game comes out, but it's either a closed beta or has no demo? Guess what... Pirated. Any game I can't find on Steam or Origin? Pirated. Now, with al that being said... If I get a chance to pay a decent price for an app or game, I'll buy a legit copy. But if a legit copy doesn't exist on Steam or Origin for a game, I have no choice but to pirate the shit out of it. (Blur for PC)

I can sometimes find my partitioning apps and other pc repair-oriented apps on sale, so i buy them when they go on sale. When it comes to pirating console games and roms, I have no shame if the game is either too expensive for the content we get, or if the game is not sold as a physical cartridge brand new anymore. (I fucking HATE digital libraries on a console)

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Piracy is a thing I used to hate since it make my family work break and made us bankrupt for some time (we had an video location store....).

Well today I think if you really had difficult access to games and buying one would make a big difference on your financial stuff(or maybe impossible), piracy is alright, is not because you don't have money you should have no access to stuff ...if you CAN buy the game and be like " lololo free stuff" you are a idiot hah

I joke that pirating indie games are buying a ticket to hell haha xD

by myself i rather have original stuff , even if used. Also about access, even having money , that obscure old Japanese game that IF you find a copy it's over nine thousand dolars, go ahead and "pirate" it haha.
Also for old games... buying used doesn't help the developers so it's allright too

Reactions: Subtle Demise

ceelo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You don't think GBATemp is great right now? Just because warez links are forbidden? If you pay attention, there are hints to the names of warez sites posted practically everyday in the different threads. If you still cannot find them, then warez is just not for you. GBATemp is probably the best resource on the web for someone looking to hack his console. I think it's better than how it was at the beginning.

I do, I like Temp, its still a great place to find usermade stuff that I use... I was just making a joke based on politics in America :[

It aint what it used to be, but its still a great place for hacking.

Last edited by ceelo,

artur3004

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
No money, no games. Easy that. But games that I will play more than once (one playthrough) I consider buying them. Like I did on pokemon or smash.
Games like new super mario bros 2, on the other side, I played it only once, and not even completely. That would be a waste of money. Same story on super mario 3d world on wii u, bought that spontaneously. It is indeed a great game, but after finishing collecting all things, it just stays in its case. Barely coming out of it when buddies coming over and misuse that game as a drinking game

Last edited by artur3004,

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
I hate the term piracy. I don't believe copyright laws are fair and I don't believe intelectual material should be restricted for sharing to non-profit ends.

I understand the costs of production and believe you should pay for what you like IFF you can but makes no sense to me to put a price on an idea. Ideas are meant to be free and shared.

Last edited by pustal,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few arguments I tend to see:

-Piracy is wrong because it robs money from the developer, and doesn't add to sales numbers
-neither does buying used. Buying used and pirating are the same thing, as far as the company is concerned and the money they get. This is a point to be considered with the other arguments as well.

-Piracy is wrong because copyright laws says only the copyright holder has the right to decide how the game is played, what medium, form, etc. It robs the creator of having control of how their product is enjoyed, even if they have no current way of sharing it.
-Yes, that makes it legally wrong. But this point hinges on whether you feel copyright law is fair and just, and most people would argue on that point. That's a whole other rabbit whole to go down, arguing the validity of copyright laws and the nuanced merit of owner vs general public. This applies to emulation of consoles and games as well, as much as some people wish/think it didn't.

-Piracy is wrong because it is motivation to not buy new games. Why bother when you can get it for free?
-No argument here. There will be many people who will just pirate rather than play. But on the flip side, there will be people who will buy the game new because they got a chance to play it first, and decided they loved it. It allows for low-risk playing of games before purchase, so the gamer can make their money count and buy only high-quality games. This point is both a positive and a negative, and people love interpreting the numbers various ways. I wouldn't call this a strong argument, but maybe the strongest of the bunch.

-Piracy is wrong because I was told it was wrong/feel like it's wrong.

-That's a you problem. Find a moral or legal argument rather than basing your argument on feelings or reliance on authority

I can't think of more at the moment, but I'll add more if I think of them.

Piracy isn't the same as outright stealing from someone else. It's more akin to one person buying a book, then copying each page of the book for all of that person's friends. They aren't buying the book, but no books were stolen from the seller. You can't say a sale was stolen, because that assumes far too many things to be a solid argument. I can see someone thinking it's wrong for some of the reasons listed, but I can see why many don't think there's a problem at all.

Most people don't understand much about copyright, or why it might be the way it is. I come across this a lot with photography. People just don't get why a photographer owns the rights to their photo. Take a photo in public? It's the photographers, no matter who is in the actual photo. Hire a model for pictures? It's the photographer's, no matter who is in the actual photo. Hire a photographer for a wedding or event? Yup, it's the photographer's, but is dependent on the signed contract. The client is entitled to a certain amount of agreed on photos, and the photographer has control over the method of delivery (no you can't have every single RAW picture and print them out at Walgreens or post them to your facebook). It's different for video games, but the basics are hard to understood for many. I still think copyright is broken, by the by.

Last edited by osaka35,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Music is another thing i typically don't pirate, with the spotify premium student discount it's unlimited music for cheap. Here's a question though, is using a hcked spotify app to get free premium considered piracy? is it illegal?
I wonder if using ad block on YouTube would be considered piracy too

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
also to add to my last post.
I also help my freind sto hack their 3DS and stuff they need help because games here are ridiculously expensive ... and everyone are wanting to play FE fates hahhaa
If they have money they have no reason to wnat to hack, they just buy it but needing to hack is more needing to play but not affording it ....

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
The same opinion i've had the last 47 times this thread has popped up in the past year.

piracy is funny when i do. when you do its stealing.

Reactions: Seriel

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I flip-flop on this issue. On one hand, it's wrong to pirate games because game devs don't get money from it. On the other hand, I am poor as fuck and can barely afford rent, bills, food, ect. thus they are pretty much rarely going to get my money anyways.
I honestly rarely pirate any games, I buy 90% of my games, then back them up myself. The rare ones being the games I am unsure about and don't have the money to throw at them. If the game is worth throwing money at, I uninstall it and actually go out and buy it. If it's not, at least I didn't throw my money at it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/Hn-gx9VjRt8?t=153