Hacking What's wrong with my Switch?

Albino_Orange

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently installed a picofly modchip (on 2.73 FW) into my patched V1 switch, and have been running into some problems after getting into hekate. I followed the rentry guide on how to setup CFW on emuNAND, and I am able to boot into hekate and setup emuNAND.

When trying to boot into atmosphere it just gets stuck on the loading screen until I reboot the switch. When trying to boot into OFW, the switch no longer boots into HOS, and gets stuck on a black screen until I reboot it. When looking through hekate, I noticed that the console has some SDMMC1 and SDMMC4 read/write fails that have been increasing since I first booted into hekate, they currently sit at 3 for SDMMC4 and 13 for SDMMC1.

I can almost certainly rule out the SD card (256gb SanDisk extreme) because I bought it brand new for the mod, and got it directly from SanDisk on Amazon. I do not think it is a problem with the modchip install, and I also reflowed the EMMC chip to no avail. I also tried restoring a full NAND backup from before trying to boot into atmosphere which did nothing.

I am able to boot into tegra explorer and lockpickRCM, leading me to believe that this is potentially a corrupted EMMC chip, but I am unsure.

I was hoping to get some help with figuring out what the problem was. At this point I think its a hardware issue but I can't seem to find anything matching my problem online. TIA

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country
I recently installed a picofly modchip (on 2.73 FW) into my patched V1 switch, and have been running into some problems after getting into hekate. I followed the rentry guide on how to setup CFW on emuNAND, and I am able to boot into hekate and setup emuNAND.

When trying to boot into atmosphere it just gets stuck on the loading screen until I reboot the switch. When trying to boot into OFW, the switch no longer boots into HOS, and gets stuck on a black screen until I reboot it. When looking through hekate, I noticed that the console has some SDMMC1 and SDMMC4 read/write fails that have been increasing since I first booted into hekate, they currently sit at 3 for SDMMC4 and 13 for SDMMC1.

I can almost certainly rule out the SD card (256gb SanDisk extreme) because I bought it brand new for the mod, and got it directly from SanDisk on Amazon. I do not think it is a problem with the modchip install, and I also reflowed the EMMC chip to no avail. I also tried restoring a full NAND backup from before trying to boot into atmosphere which did nothing.

I am able to boot into tegra explorer and lockpickRCM, leading me to believe that this is potentially a corrupted EMMC chip, but I am unsure.

I was hoping to get some help with figuring out what the problem was. At this point I think its a hardware issue but I can't seem to find anything matching my problem online. TIA

Test your SD card using h2testw.

I know it's new from amazon, but they can and have sold fake cards before.

Reactions: Eveldee

Moromoromoro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I completed the test and there were no errors, any other suggestions?
Have you used the picofly waveshare board or one of the aliexpress clones? attach pictures of your work, if its standard have you added extra 47ohm to dat0/cmd and confirmed that you have 94ohm between pad and end of resistor? Likely issue with dat0 maybe the cable being too long or flex residue. Also likely the corruption happened on the NAND if you have black screen, do you have slow emmc issue? Have you got 1-bit issue? We need more info to tackle it. Try dumping prod.keys and use nandmanger on your PC using PC connect from your hekate to access all your partitions, if your GPP table is gone from the info on the partitions that is the reason its not working. Go to tegraexplorer and check if it does give you any errors such as cannot read X (especially prodinfo partition)

Albino_Orange

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you used the picofly waveshare board or one of the aliexpress clones? attach pictures of your work, if its standard have you added extra 47ohm to dat0/cmd and confirmed that you have 94ohm between pad and end of resistor? Likely issue with dat0 maybe the cable being too long or flex residue. Also likely the corruption happened on the NAND if you have black screen, do you have slow emmc issue? Have you got 1-bit issue? We need more info to tackle it. Try dumping prod.keys and use nandmanger on your PC using PC connect from your hekate to access all your partitions, if your GPP table is gone from the info on the partitions that is the reason its not working. Go to tegraexplorer and check if it does give you any errors such as cannot read X (especially prodinfo partition)
Not exactly sure which picofly version I'm using, I assume it's an aliexpress clone. The console does not have the 1-bit issue, and tegra explorer never showed any errors, except for when I tried following sthetix's unbricking level 1 guide (received a failed to backup bis error when trying to restore sysmmc). I did dump the prod.keys and opened the console in nand manager, I've never used it before, so I didn't know what to look for, the only thing that seemed out of place to me was the fact that it could not find the FW version, which I updated to 16.0.3 before installing the picofly.

nandmanager.PNG

When opening the switch to take pictures, I noticed that I did not add the extra resistors, so I made sure to do that. The added resistors did fix the slow emmc errors (I forgot to mention it in the initial post), but now the console showed 10 emmc init fails. After this first boot into hekate I shut down the console before trying to launch any payloads. When trying to get back into hekate, the picofly just showed a short, then long, then short blink (emmc init fail).

Here's a picture of the install (I removed some parts like the heatsink and some Kapton tape to make it easier to see):

PXL_20230716_202828110 (1).jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed