Gaming What's up with PC games dissapointing?

enigmaindex

the Scarecrow
Trophies
Website
www.zomganime.com
XP
Country
Okay just finished CoD 4. Wow. Awesome ending, awesome game.
bow.gif

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
10/30 TimeShift
Considering:

a) it has been in development limbo for a very long time, yet I hadn't even heard of it until recently
b) the generic nature of the game that incorporates all the current fads (protagonist in some kind of suit that gives him/her gimmick powers, distant future where some inherently evil faction has taken control etc.) in FPS gaming
c) the history of the studio behind it

I wasn't expecting much. And it shouldn't have, considering how crap it turned out.

Edit: allegedly, a version of TimeShift, as it were before it was revamped for 360/PS3/PC, exists for the Xbox (1). I'd like to play that sometime.

11/06 FEAR: Perseus Mandate
Not by Monolith, so I wasn't expecting much.

11/06 Gears Of War
This was probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I figured this would be a decent port, considering how they've had an entire studio on it, but no, in manner of most console -> PC ports the controls are terrible.

Also, Unreal Engine 3 should be renamed Bloom Engine 3 as all games based on it overuse bloom to the point where I could lit up my entire apartment using my monitor with a UE3 game playing on it alone.

11/06 Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Haven't gotten to this yet, but the original SC was cool.

Call of Duty 4
Very impressed with how well this runs. I've maxed it out at 1600x1200 and I still get 65+ fps all the time. Apart from being a technical marvel, the single-player campaign, while short, is awesome. It avoids all the bad design decisions (cutscenes as primary means of story exposition etc.) that have made so many FPS games a chore and forges an awesome experience that goes beyond most war-themed FPSes. My favorite moment by far is the short segment that takes place after the nuclear explosion and your helicopter's crashed. It puts you face to face with the grim reality that many of those who go to war never come back and aren't superheroes, like we're lead to believe in say the Medal of Honor-series.

11/13 Crysis
This game makes up for the disappointing ones by being the most awesome thing I've played in years. It's been a very long time since I had so much fun in a game. Go play it now, seriously. It demands your attention.

enigmaindex

the Scarecrow
Trophies
Website
www.zomganime.com
XP
Country
Now i have Crysis, Need for Speed: Pro Street and Company of Heores: Opposing Fronts to finish.
laugh.gif

I got Time Shift for free with my new graphics card i bought, nothing special but my brother likes it. But Crysis is the next game i will play, defiantly will have fun with that.

EDIT:
Call of Duty 4
My favorite moment by far is the short segment that takes place after the nuclear explosion and your helicopter's crashed. It puts you face to face with the grim reality that many of those who go to war never come back and aren't superheroes, like we're lead to believe in say the Medal of Honor-series.

The part when you in the helicopter and it says on the radio we have located the nuclear bomb or whatever, im like ehh i'll just go kill everyone and disarm the bomb with seconds to spare. But nope, it exploded and i got the shit blown out of me and the main character you play died, but the amazing effects they had when your crawling out of the helicopter was just like omg, and instantly i felt for the all the people fighting in Afghanistan and though to myself shit this could really happen. And just to see the destruction it left, i did make me feel uneasy. But this game captures everything about war, the realism, the twists and the pure emotion put into it. This game blew me away, i know i have just bragged on and on about Cod in this topic but seriously it's just that good. And really makes you think how pathetic the MoH series are where you always manage to save the day.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It really shook me up when I accidentally shot a US soldier in the head - that blood on the wall - that's almost never happened to me before in a game, and I can't stop thinking about it.

Now, define Art.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
But you get none of that feeling when you're wasting hundreds of Russians or arabs? interesting.

I guess the game creates a good bond between your teammates and yourself. I think cod4 is very well done. Even though it's short the quality of each level is outstanding.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country

Westside

Sogdiana
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
Interesting... In a battlefield soldiers are taught to kill enemy on sight, you do not have the time to feel for them or even know them. You will not even notice that they are human beings, and therefore killing them is more like killing objects. Killing your team mates, the ones you even have the slightest bond will make you render the ability of this person's emotions and intelligence, and hence deepening your sympathy. I'll tell you right now, an excellent soldier will kill ANYone with a given order without passing on emotions, however, a good person will at least feel for those he knew about. Most soldiers are good people, they will let emotions suppress them. This is why you hear the stories of U.S. Marines having nightmares and some of them even crying publicly on T.V. for all the people they had to kill.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I just want to know why 90% of PC games are FPS.

I WANT J-RPG'S AND ACTION-ADVENTURE GAMES ON MY MACHINE!

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mmm you know what i just thought off something most PC games are made by americans and Uk developers right ?

how come there are no japanese deveolpers ???

everyone owns a PC not everyone owns a wii or xbox 360 it would have more base ppl

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
11/06 Gears Of War
This was probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me. I figured this would be a decent port, considering how they've had an entire studio on it, but no, in manner of most console -> PC ports the controls are terrible.

Huh, the controls suck? I've had absolutely no problem with them. And if you don't like the Keys+mouse setup, why not just use a 360 controller and play it with the exact same controls as was on the 360? Personally I found when using a 360 controller to be too slow at aiming, so I went back to the mouse, but then again, I've always been a PC FPS player (I know gears isn't fps, but the aiming is practically the same).

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
The PC market in Japan has never been large compared to many other countries, but it's recently declining nonetheless. Very few PC games us in the West consider major get released there now. Even if created by Japanese developers.

cenotaph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
11/06 Gears Of War

Huh, the controls suck? I've had absolutely no problem with them. And if you don't like the Keys+mouse setup, why not just use a 360 controller and play it with the exact same controls as was on the 360? Personally I found when using a 360 controller to be too slow at aiming, so I went back to the mouse, but then again, I've always been a PC FPS player (I know gears isn't fps, but the aiming is practically the same).
I'm primarily a PC gamer. Always have been and always will be. I like the mouse aim in GoW PC, but the button layout just doesn't feel right. Sure, you can remap them, but that only helps with putting them in different places - it does nothing about how the functions they map to were programmed to trigger.

I WANT J-RPG'S AND ACTION-ADVENTURE GAMES ON MY MACHINE!
Someone once defined console games as being more casual and easy to pick up, whereas PC games are more about depth (granted this isn't the case as much anymore, but still). Thus, the PC doesn't lend itself as a gaming platform to JRPGs.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed the same thing so my solution: buy a great DX9 card for little outlay and catch up on the games I missed out on over the last couple of years.
Optionally: buy 2 or three cards and have some great network games going on.

The added perk is I am not stuck in a wait for patches/driver updates cycle, noCD patches are plentiful (and not that it matters but are often fairly simple to apply), my "old" system can play them (as can wine and co if you are not running Windows) and mods are beyond the hello world stage.
Oh and the games are often in the cheapo racks in shops/supermarkets if that is your thing.

Of course if you are a more dedicated gamer than I you may come unstuck.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mmm you know what i just thought off something most PC games are made by americans and Uk developers right ?

how come there are no japanese deveolpers ???

everyone owns a PC not everyone owns a wii or xbox 360 it would have more base ppl

I think it's because the japanese generally don't like having big powerful computers in their house. They're short on space. I think that's the reason
tongue.gif
there's plenty of H games around though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo