Homebrew What's there to do with a modded Wii?

Cha0tic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Curious what is there to do? I had a modded Wii years ago with custom inject n64 games. How's that gotten performance wise any better? And how's the emulation gotten? And loadline usb works well with a micro SD into a usb adapter or just usb?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use an external drive, formatted to WBFS, and it works great for all the iso's I've downloaded.
Aside from that, the soft modded Wii is a nice little emulation machine, and it's got Gamecube compatibility.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I use an external drive, formatted to WBFS, and it works great for all the iso's I've downloaded.
Aside from that, the soft modded Wii is a nice little emulation machine, and it's got Gamecube compatibility.
You don't need to use a WBFS formatted drive now, you know that right?

Anyway, to OP:
-You can use any USB drive/HDD, better if it's formatted to FAT32
-You can play out of region games
-You can play Gamecube games with (almost) 100% accuracy
-You can play NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, NeoGeo, Genesis/Mega Drive roms with emulators
-You can copy your savefiles and edit them using external programs
-And many things I haven't listed here because I can't think of them rn :P

Remember that you need the homebrew channel for this

Cha0tic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, how is the n64 vc going has it gotten any better?
And thanks for clearing the hard drive thing up I looked it up and was getting articles from 8 years ago saying only certain drives work.

Fiance was saying she wants another Wii so going to pick one up locally for $50 needed the control that came with it so getting a full bundle with it and just in case I can't get a SNES mini classic this will be the replacement :P

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, but I'm lazy and it serves the purpose I require it for perfectly - plus some of the games (undubs/translations) are only available in wbfs format, and it's simpler to load them on a wbfs drive than convert them.
Converting your drive to FAT32 is really easy. Just run wbfs2fat. https://gbatemp.net/threads/wbfs2fat-py.291320/
As for the games, they don't need to be converted. .wbfs files are designed to be used with FAT32/NTFS drives, you can copy them over with a file browser and they'll just work as long as they're in the right location on the drive, though I still recommend using Wii Backup Manager to transfer games as it ensures that all the games are correctly named and placed in the right folder.
Thanks guys, how is the n64 vc going has it gotten any better?
And thanks for clearing the hard drive thing up I looked it up and was getting articles from 8 years ago saying only certain drives work.

Fiance was saying she wants another Wii so going to pick one up locally for $50 needed the control that came with it so getting a full bundle with it and just in case I can't get a SNES mini classic this will be the replacement :P
N64 VC won't get any better, it's a closed source Nintendo emulator so there's nothing we can do to improve it.
Have a look at Not64 though. It works better than VC for some things (as VC has low compatibility) but it's slower.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Cha0tic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
$50 seems rather pricey - you should be able to pick one up for half that.
I'm from canada so stuff is a bit pricier.
I got the console, a remote, gamecube controller and 4 games for 50 cad which equals to 38 usd

Cha0tic

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a good deal, then. Maybe you'll get lucky and it's one that has a vulnerable boot2. :)

Mind explaining boot2?
Modded it and its running back ups and going to do emulators tomorrow. Got ciOS installed and all that jazz.

Funny while doing the soft mod I realized the person before me had it modded.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
boot2 is part of the initialization of the console. The original run of Wiis had the Trucha signing bug in the routine that checked the early boot files. If it's one of those consoles you can replace the original boot2 with BootMii and the console is pretty much unbrickable. It also makes it easy to autoboot homebrew.

This article explains how the Wii starts up.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.