BlueRetro Core with Wii Adapter Power?

ZartudatuGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a BlueRetro Core I use for my GameCube, PS1, and other systems without any issue. I noticed when I got the Wii adapter it doesn't seem to power the core properly, as if it needs an external source. I did test it by plugging in my core to a micro usb and it works. Some people posted online where this happened with their PS2 as well, but then others claim it works fine. Is the Wii remote not able to output enough? My Pro controllers plug into the Wii Remote without issue, just this core seems to need more juice!? I found one other person who had to do it for the Wii adapter, but nothing else online. Wasn't sure if my Core had a problem or not.

This is what I'm using:

https://www.blue-retro.com/products/core/ and this adapter for the Wii: https://www.blue-retro.com/products/cable-wii/

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Pity the power requirement/usage isn't stated.
If you're currently using rechargeable AA's, then try using fresh disposable AA's. That just might do the trick. Flat/weak batteries can have that effect.
It was stated that WiiMotes/+ should avoid rechargeable batteries, but many have gotten away with using them without any issues. Power is just a tad under the required WiiMote/+ specs.

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If it "ever" worked correctly (on the Wii) with disposables, then newer/stronger batteries could be needed.
Also, consider if you're using a WiiMore+ to test it with a plain-jane WiiMote.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I think what's happening is that the Wiimote is "too weak" for input/output.

The WiiMote utilizes 2 AA, that means 1.5V times 2= 3V.

I know for a fact that you can get away with feeding 3.7V MAX before your Wiimoye starts suffering hardware failure. These being improper IR camera detection, rumble malfunction and buzzing sound from the speaker due to high voltage.

So the controller you're hooking to your Wiimote must utilize more than 3.7V, thus not powering on.

Just have in mind that the GCN uses 12V to 21V via GCN ports and Wii's USB always delivers 5V. So a controller other than Wii Classic should utilize something around those voltages (3 ± 3.7). Certainly ask the manufacturer which voltage needs. If possible, get a GCN port adapter which shouldn't have any problem to feed your whatever you're trying to use.

Do not connect your WiiMote to a power bank or to a wall plug, it's not worth it and you'll reduce greatly it's functionality. Or do, and let us know the outcome, who knows, we might learn something new.

Reactions: zfreeman

ZartudatuGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Wii Remote just stays as is with the AA batteries. The BlueRetro Core is what I'm using an external power source for to power it on as it cannot draw enough from the Wii Remote. This core doesn't provide any power source to the actual Wii Remote itself. I then attach the adapter which plugs into the Wii Remote as you would a controller for the Wii, and that adapter is connected to the BlueRetro Core via a db25 connector.

The Wii Remote isn't extracting power and I'm not powering the Wii Remote with an external source, only the Core via the Micro USB port.

1698734057132.png

1698734097477.png

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The Wii Remote just stays as is with the AA batteries. The BlueRetro Core is what I'm using an external power source for to power it on as it cannot draw enough from the Wii Remote. This core doesn't provide any power source to the actual Wii Remote itself. I then attach the adapter which plugs into the Wii Remote as you would a controller for the Wii, and that adapter is connected to the BlueRetro Core via a db25 connector.

The Wii Remote isn't extracting power and I'm not powering the Wii Remote with an external source, only the Core via the Micro USB port.

View attachment 402053
View attachment 402054
Never seen it before. Thought your problem backwards (feeding from and not to WiiMote)

The only idea that comes to mind is to check with Multimeter if the male connector is indeed delivering ±3V, then, you can rule out any problem with the device and might indicate a WiiMote incompatibility/problem.

I haven't meddle around with my own WiiMote other than trying to feed 5V via USB (terrible idea/experiment) so I don't know if the female connector in the Wiimote has some kind of converter, or rectifier or something to distribute Voltage properly. Again, measuring input/output voltage with a Multimeter is all I can think off in order to know exactly where voltage is failing.
Don't know, maybe even rust, or improper connection.

ZartudatuGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Never seen it before. Thought your problem backwards (feeding from and not to WiiMote)

The only idea that comes to mind is to check with Multimeter if the male connector is indeed delivering ±3V, then, you can rule out any problem with the device and might indicate a WiiMote incompatibility/problem.

I haven't meddle around with my own WiiMote other than trying to feed 5V via USB (terrible idea/experiment) so I don't know if the female connector in the Wiimote has some kind of converter, or rectifier or something to distribute Voltage properly. Again, measuring input/output voltage with a Multimeter is all I can think off in order to know exactly where voltage is failing.
Don't know, maybe even rust, or improper connection.
I'm just thinking the BlueRetro requires more jucie than 3V. My Nintendo Wii Classic Controller Pro works with my Wii Remotes without any issue. My BlueRetro Core works with all my other systems with their respective adapters as well.

After looking some more I think the problem is the BlueRetro core needs 3.3v to work.

1698736896876.png

If the Wii remote takes 3v with 2x AA batteries that would explain the issues, and why the Wii Remote just fails when the BlueRetro core pulls from it without external power. Based on what I read the Wii Remote has a min of 2.5v and max of 3.3v. I don't have anything to put 3.3v to confirm, but either way I'm sure it is just an issue of under power while all my other consoles can deliver the minimum. Works perfect on GameCube, and Ps1.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm just thinking the BlueRetro requires more jucie than 3V. My Nintendo Wii Classic Controller Pro works with my Wii Remotes without any issue. My BlueRetro Core works with all my other systems with their respective adapters as well.

After looking some more I think the problem is the BlueRetro core needs 3.3v to work.

View attachment 402058

If the Wii remote takes 3v with 2x AA batteries that would explain the issues, and why the Wii Remote just fails when the BlueRetro core pulls from it without external power. Based on what I read the Wii Remote has a min of 2.5v and max of 3.3v. I don't have anything to put 3.3v to confirm, but either way I'm sure it is just an issue of under power while all my other consoles can deliver the minimum. Works perfect on GameCube, and Ps1.
Yes, makes sense. It's not the same Wiimote delivering 3V than Gamecube delivering 21V.

You could use a potentiometer to augment the Wiimote's voltage though... but... I mean, are you that desperate?
Could be fun to solve the challenge, but... really?

ZartudatuGaming

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, makes sense. It's not the same Wiimote delivering 3V than Gamecube delivering 21V.

You could use a potentiometer to augment the Wiimote's voltage though... but... I mean, are you that desperate?
Could be fun to solve the challenge, but... really?
Yea it isn't a big deal the problem is easily resolved with the external power supply to the BlueRetro Core. I just wish I didn't have to add another plug to the mix, especially when I like my Wii Remote to be wireless. This would force me to have a wired connection, unless I use a power bank for the core.

ulao

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think what's happening is that the Wiimote is "too weak" for input/output.

The WiiMote utilizes 2 AA, that means 1.5V times 2= 3V.

I know for a fact that you can get away with feeding 3.7V MAX before your Wiimoye starts suffering hardware failure. These being improper IR camera detection, rumble malfunction and buzzing sound from the speaker due to high voltage.

So the controller you're hooking to your Wiimote must utilize more than 3.7V, thus not powering on.

Just have in mind that the GCN uses 12V to 21V via GCN ports and Wii's USB always delivers 5V. So a controller other than Wii Classic should utilize something around those voltages (3 ± 3.7). Certainly ask the manufacturer which voltage needs. If possible, get a GCN port adapter which shouldn't have any problem to feed your whatever you're trying to use.

Do not connect your WiiMote to a power bank or to a wall plug, it's not worth it and you'll reduce greatly it's functionality. Or do, and let us know the outcome, who knows, we might learn something new.

Yes, this..

I own the Bliss-Box Bridge and it had the same issue. Its the same as Blueretro only for wires controllers not BT. To use it originally I had to use a USB pass-thru. Worked great for mini consoles but not the wii mote. I then got a USB mobile pack and that worked but it was bulky. I power reduction firmware was released and this seem to fix it. From what I know the fix was to turn off some of the MCU peripherals to conserve power. Not sure if BR can do the same but it worked in the case of the Bridge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol