OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Four goals in this thread:

1) Let this be a place for asking dumb questions about working out and diets
2) Post your workout/meal regimen, with before/in-between/current pictures if you have any
3) Post things that didn't work for you so others can share.
4) Avoid talks about silly things like testosterone replacements and various other "magic bullets".

We're talking about sustainable, healthy living, not "how do I lose weight and bulk up as dangerously and quickly as possible". Talking about macros and the like is fine, but please go into detail for those who are new to this lingo. Consider this "newby" territory. While other threads like this exist, they're not exactly new or fresh, and I'm hoping to keep this thread just about healthy eating and solid workout advice. First post will be my progress. I'm no expert, so feel free to call me out for doing dumb stuff.

Things to keep in mind
Some nuggets of facts to address common old-wives tales (this will be updated based on responses in the thread):
- Weight loss is about calorie in/calorie out.
things like no-carb diet do influence the body in many ways, but the main effect is usually just having loads less calorie intake (high-carb food tends to be high-calorie as well, for example)​
- Losing weight is around 90% what you eat and only about 10% about your workout.
You workout to get healthier, you eat right to lose weight. You do both to maximize both. If you only do one or the other, you harshly hinder your progress in both.​
- A "diet" isn't a temporary thing. A diet is just the types of food you eat on a normal basis.
going "on a diet" usually means you change what you eat temporarily to more quickly lose weight. As a rule of thumb, this isn't overly healthy or sustainable. If you want to become and stay fit, you find a permanent diet. A general rule of thumb for a healthy diet is: "eat food. not too much. mostly veggies".​
- Being "skinny" is not the same as being "healthy".
If you're skinny, but still eating terribly, this is generally referred to as "skinny fat". Basically just because you look like you're healthy, this doesn't mean you're actually healthy on the inside. You need a proper diet and workout just like chubby people like me.​
- Testosterone replacements and other magic bullets tend to be unhealthy, especially in the long-run.
Seriously, this stuff has terrible side-effects, messes up long-term health, and is generally unsustainable. Your goals need to be sustainable, long-term health, and non-bankrupting.​

Last edited by osaka35,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for me:

I weigh around 240lbs/109kg and I'm 6'2"/187cm. While I don't look fat, I do look out-of-shape. My goal is more of a visual goal of low body-fat and swimmer's build. Weight doesn't matter so much for me.

My current idea is

- doing some Insanity+P90x2 hybrid at home in the morning, 6 days a week
- drinking some protein shake stuff for breakfast
- do yoga in the afternoon/or go for an hour walk 7 days a week
- small "lunch" of a few hundred calories
- Eat a larger supper to meet my 1500 calorie goal (not super strict, just a general goal). I'm still figuring out what kind of meals would be ideal.

After I get my cardio in a place I'm not constantly out of breath, I was going to change to get more into building muscles, where I would then increase my calories.

I'll update this post over time.

Last edited by osaka35,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to lose weight and feel better about myself, and it's been excruciatingly difficult for me to stick to a plan.
What have you tried so far? And where do you usually trip up? I know restricted calories are hard for me because my friends always want to eat out at fast-food places.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What have you tried so far? And where do you usually trip up? I know restricted calories are hard for me because my friends always want to eat out at fast-food places.

Hmm, well to start:

- Setting a caloric limit of 1800 calories has been difficult for me to stick to, unless I set the limit to 2000, but still cut out 400-500
- Going to the gym consistently has been difficult, but we do have a stationary bike at my house, so I don't have to go to the gym necessarily
- Potion control, eating less calories but not changing what I eat per se, I just like food too much and if I cut out more food, I don't feel as full and I eat more

It's a vicious cycle, and I wish to lose about 20 or kg this year. Fast food is my Achilles heel, but I've been told cutting out soda is a huge part of it.

Reactions: H1B1Esquire

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My goals? To never have to worry about such things.

Working out is the most boring thing I can imagine. Sitting on gym equipment makes it feel like my brain is going to dribble out of my ears, never mind being there for hours. Far nicer to take a turn on the spade, move heavy things around, walk the dog, pedal, skateboard or walk everywhere.

As processed food is not as tasty as what I can make, and bloody expensive to boot, then eating relatively healthily (if you can cook you can usually bake as well as cake is delicious) is otherwise achievable.

So far I am well past the age at which people turn around to find themselves fat bastards and it seems to be working.

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was 137 a few weeks ago, think I'm 144 now; If I get this W-2 soon, I'll take a little vacation and go snowboard--should drop a few pounds.

I've been talking to this girl who enjoys doing outdoor activities, so I hope I can keep up when Spring/Summer roll around.

Bullseye

Trophies
XP
Country
Note to all: please share magnitudes in International system and Imperial system so it can be easily understood.

I am 1.87 m (6'1'') and weight 83 kg (183 lb)

I am not following any special diet, just eating healthy but would like to bulk up a bit more. I do various exercises, following a workout routine.

I started training around a year ago. I started deadlifting for 80 Kg (176 lb) and after a bit more than a year I have achieved a PR of 160 Kg (352 lb). My goal would be to reach 200 Kg (440 lb) deadlift in the following 6-8 months or so. Not in a hurry for it though. I am doing this casually so no hurry.

I have other goals in mind with other exercises.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No weight goals for me, just keeping fit and healthly is fine. Starting cycling, mix of on road and off (depends if off is fine, can sometimes be too muddy to ride through :( ) 10 years ago, still ride. Started because I was out of shape, not fat, but out of breath quickly. Cycling sorted that, so pretty happy for now.

Reactions: BORTZ

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Personally I'm trying to return to being 75kg while being more fit than I was before. Currently I believe I'm about 80, but it's hard to tell without having a weight scale.

Height being 193cm for reference.

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm 174cm and currently about 80kg. I starting working out more recently and currently hope to reach 90kg by increasing muscle. I love milk and peanuts so bulking should be easy. :D

Personally I'm trying to return to being 75kg while being more fit than I was before. Currently I believe I'm about 80, but it's hard to tell without having a weight scale.

By more fit, do you mean more muscular or just better endurance and form?

Reactions: osaka35

CallmeBerto

The Lone Wanderer
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm basically doing all 3 at the moment.

Right now I weigh 170lbs/77kg and I want to weigh 150lbs/68kg.

I current workout 5 times a week at a gym and while I have put on a lot of muscle I still have a bit of belly fat that I'm trying to get rid of.

I have started doing keto since the start of the year and have lost around 3lbs/1kg. I hope to reach my weight goal by summer for the summer bod. :D

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Back in August I was 252 pounds. By December I was able to drop down to 210 by counting calories.

I'm back up to 215 right now. The winter months are harder for me to lose weight. I eventually want to drop down to below 200. But even right now, I feel much healthier.

Reactions: CallmeBerto

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back in August I was 252 pounds. By December I was able to drop down to 210 by counting calories.

I'm back up to 215 right now. The winter months are harder for me to lose weight. I eventually want to drop down to below 200. But even right now, I feel much healthier.

Just by counting calories? Did you set a daily limit, go the gym, cut out soda, etc?

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Just by counting calories? Did you set a daily limit, go the gym, cut out soda, etc?
Just counting calories. I set a 1,600 calorie limit. Didn't really restrict what foods I ate, but tried very hard to stay below that limit. Eventually I tried to drop down to 1,500 but that was what threw me off the horse. So when I start up again when it gets warmer I'll go back to 1,600.

Cha0tic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If any one needs assistance feel free to reach will be competing next summer and been at lifting for 7 years.
Can pop the instagram to :P

Coolsonickirby

Trophies
Website
coolsonickirby.com
XP
Country
United States
Last time I checked my weight, I was at 270lbs (I'm 6"2.) I checked my weight 3 months ago. I came to Yemen and just let my daily life here take care of my weight. I noticed I did lose some weight, but I can't tell how much exactly since I can't find a scale anywhere here. My main goal is just to be healthy as I don't care about my looks.

D

Deleted User

I’m too skinny to be considered fit. For as long as I can remember I’ve always been the skinny one. I eat healthy food most of the time and my skin looks fine without any cosmetic products. I just wish my arms were a bit thicker.

I’ve been getting back into the habit of exercising every morning. It’s a habit I tend to break when school gets tough then I get back into it during the holidays. My goal is, broadly speaking to get stronger. To be able to lift heavier weights and run for longer distances. Given that I’ve been skinny all my life, sometimes I wonder if it’s possible for me to be strong.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You must be a giant.

Last edited by ,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I’m too skinny to be considered fit. For as long as I can remember I’ve always been the skinny one. I eat healthy food most of the time and my skin looks fine without any cosmetic products. I just wish my arms were a bit thicker.

I’ve been getting back into the habit of exercising every morning. It’s a habit I tend to break when school gets tough then I get back into it during the holidays. My goal is, broadly speaking to get stronger. To be able to lift heavier weights and run for longer distances. Given that I’ve been skinny all my life, sometimes I wonder if it’s possible for me to be strong.

While you can certainly be too thin and have it cause you problems, or simply be skinny whilst lacking fitness, I would have to note that fitness is usually something else. Usually some combination of cardio, strength and endurance, which is to say you have at least one of those to some degree.

Reactions: Minox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    +1
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    So glad I'm not in prison lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea marriage is a bitch sometimes...
    I legit think they passed the cyber terrorism laws from some of my hmm pranks lol
    I knocked the east coast backbone of EarthLink offline for like 6 hours one time, was on the news and everything well I mean I wasn't on the news.... Just they where having "technical difficulties" lol
    +1
    Was just one single custom packet. I miss when Internet security was an afterthought lol almost all modems and network hardware operated in promiscuous mode.
    Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Now these days they do sanity checks.... The source IP can't also be the destination IP lol