Hardware What will happen with nintendo (?)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But honestly, imo, when Nintendo was around the 80's, they were the family system. Same with the SNES, and N64. But people who grew up with Nintendo, wanted Nintendo to grow up with them, and that's just not gonna happen. That's like asking Disney to make a serial thriller movie or something. That's not who they are.
That Disney analogy is pretty flawed. They have produced and continue to produce a variety of adult features, from stuff like Pretty Woman to Lincoln to Con Air, quite possibly the single greatest film ever made. Disney offers a wide variety of films for audiences to choose from; they produce all-ages animated films to action packed Marvel features to award winning drama pieces all the same.

People don't want all Nintendo games to get dark and gritty and edgy - they just want a little more branching out from Nintendo. When people say they'd like to see more mature Nintendo games, I don't mean "mature" (Blood, breasts, and bawdy boasts); they're looking for mature, adult subject matters along with the usual Mario/Zelda/etc. affairs.

I think Sony does the best job in terms of providing variety. From Little Big Planet to Ratchet and Clank to Killzone to Infamous and stuff like The Last of Us, Sony has consistently provided titles with a wide range of appeal without ever losing sense of itself. There's something for just about everyone in its lineup. I think Nintendo could take a few pointers from that.

The Wii U sells just fine at my Walmart I work at, so these "poor sales numbers" are bullshit at best.

Yes, your personal, isolated anecdote clearly accounts for all sales data across the world. Sales reports are just a conspiracy made to keep Nintendo down, man.

Reactions: AceWarhead

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That Disney analogy is pretty flawed.

I meant in terms of say their Pixar movies, or Mickey Mouse because a lot of people think that's all they make. They don't realize that Disney owns quite a bit.

But yes, I think Nintendo would do well to put more focus onto their Metroid or F-Zero franchises. Those aren't no kids games. Or as I said before, it would do both Nintendo and Capcom good if Nintendo bought Capcom. Won't completely save them, but it'll be a pretty good start.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satoru is also the boss of the NA market too.

But even then, lets say his job just include advertisements and games, he's still doing a horrible job. Nintendo has this notion "lets market to twitter and YouTube! But the problem is those people who are seeing those ads, are already fans of Nintendo. They need to get newspaper advertisements, TV ad's (they made some but they're so rare to see on TV).

*snip*

Hmm, two different marketing strategies. And one is failing miserably. So why is it that TV's aren't showing the Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon trailer? Are they afraid of scaring off consumers? People won't buy it if doesn't feature a family playing together in the commercials? That's a bunch of bullshit. I think I thought of something a few years ago and it went something like this: Nintendo would sell more systems if they'd stop targeting familial entities and focus on actual gamers. You know, because nearly every person has a Nintendo in their house; this is the best marketing there is. I got my sister a DS because she loved watching me play my Wii and I thought I'd just get her one. And she loves it, particularly the part where you can play Gameboy games. Yes, I had this Star Wars game that she was better at than me...

Okay, well Nintendo needs to make Luigi-type ads with at least Sony's marketing strategy.
People don't want all Nintendo games to get dark and gritty and edgy - they just want a little more branching out from Nintendo. When people say they'd like to see more mature Nintendo games, I don't mean "mature" (Blood, breasts, and bawdy boasts); they're looking for mature, adult subject matters along with the usual Mario/Zelda/etc. affairs.
Oh sure, I'd love a game where Mario gets to the final room, sees Bowser raping Princess Peach, and goes, "You sick fuck! Get the fuck away from my princess!" In bold, brilliant 3D, brought to you by the Xbone's graphics engine. That is so hardcore. Edit: But I don't think Charles Martinet would do the voice work for this.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Wii U sells just fine at my Walmart I work at, so these "poor sales numbers" are bullshit at best.

I'll take "sample size" for $500, Alex.

Hmm, two different marketing strategies. And one is failing miserably. So why is it that TV's aren't showing the Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon trailer? Are they afraid of scaring off consumers? People won't buy it if doesn't feature a family playing together in the commercials? That's a bunch of bullshit. I think I thought of something a few years ago and it went something like this: Nintendo would sell more systems if they'd stop targeting familial entities and focus on actual gamers. You know, because nearly every person has a Nintendo in their house; this is the best marketing there is. I got my sister a DS because she loved watching me play my Wii and I thought I'd just get her one. And she loves it, particularly the part where you can play Gameboy games. Yes, I had this Star Wars game that she was better at than me...

Because Luigi's Mansion was a bad franchise on the Gamecube and it's a bad franchise on the 3DS? Why they made a sequel to the launch title no one asked for on the Gamecube is beyond me.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Because Luigi's Mansion was a bad franchise on the Gamecube and it's a bad franchise on the 3DS? Why they made a sequel to the launch title no one asked for on the Gamecube is beyond me.

Okay this is really irritating. For some reason whether I'm on FireFox or Chrome, sometimes a person's post will come up with really dark blue text, and I don't know why. And it requires me to highlight what you said so I can read it.

But Luigi's Mansion isn't a bad franchise. The games are really really fun. And it sold moderately well on the 3DS. I mean shit, Capcom can get away with making a sequel to Okami.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nintendo will always be around even if they end up coming last everytime they will still be around. buy a wii-u to play 1st and 2nd party games forget the rest.

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I forgot businesses operate perfectly fine when they're dead last.

It's not a race. As long as they sell a reasonable amount of Wii Us and they make a profit, they'll be alright. Even if they don't, they've got the 3DS to fall back on. Nintendo won't be going anywhere for a while.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not a race. As long as they sell a reasonable amount of Wii Us and they make a profit, they'll be alright. Even if they don't, they've got the 3DS to fall back on. Nintendo won't be going anywhere for a while.

But they won't sell a reasonable amount of Wii U's and they can't let it keep hemorrhaging money.

Also the notion that if everything they do keeps flopping that they have a big stash of money so it's okay is bullshit. They're not gonna ride the company dry, they'll cut and run if the future is definite.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But they won't sell a reasonable amount of Wii U's and they can't let it keep hemorrhaging money.

Also the notion that if everything they do keeps flopping that they have a big stash of money so it's okay is bullshit. They're not gonna ride the company dry, they'll cut and run if the future is definite.
True but the last time something the did flopped was the 3ds, and look at it now.

Wii U has had a bad first year.

I was surprised by how quickly the 3ds turned around. Everyone knows that software sells hardware. Having all the exact same games on wii u won't sell it however, what will are the exclusives.

I don't see how one bad first year for the wii u makes anyone think Nintendo is doomed. They just came off smashing success with the wii and DS and the 3DS is doing great as well despite all this same criticisms it got when it initially struggled.

The reality is the doom and gloom preaching is coming from people who want Nintendo fail and think it is cool to bash them. This is really a foolish proposition. Nintendo failing would be a very bad thing for this industry.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True but the last time something the did flopped was the 3ds, and look at it now.

I was surprised by how quickly the 3ds turned around. Everyone knows that software sells hardware. Having all the exact same games on wii u won't sell it however, what will are the exclusives.

I don't see how one bad first year for the wii u makes anyone think Nintendo is doomed. They just came off smashing success with the wii and DS and the 3DS is doing great as well despite all this same criticisms it got when it initially struggled.

The reality is the doom and gloom preaching is coming from people who want Nintendo fail and think it is cool to bash them. This is really a foolish proposition. Nintendo failing would be a very bad thing for this industry.
The Wii U does have exclusives. They're just not selling. Look at Japan, people thought 3D World would be a smash hit and save the Wii U there. But it didn't. It also showed that consoles is starting to slow down in sales while mobile gaming continue to dominate. Which is why 3DS is the best selling handheld there and that the Vita still continues to outsell Vita TV, even at a much higher price.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U is not going to look good for next year. Yes, I will buy Wii U (A way later in the future, not anytime soon.. I am focus on PS4 someday because I am PS3 owner. I also own Wii (Soon sell it).. I am still enjoying Zelda and Mario games (Excluding Mario party and Paper Mario).. It doesnt sound much. Thanks to 3rd party who doubt Wii U. The 3rd party need to keep mind open and unfortunately, they do not. Sad!

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
WiiU is just like a 2nd GameCube
This, sort of - the system is selling OK--ish in Japan, and support will continue for a good while yet... but 'Dreamcast 2' would be a better description if you ask me. Fukk... pile of shite PS4 game Knack outsells your killer-app-2013 Mario 3D World on launch day in the UK (a game, I'll add, that's infinitely better than Knack can ever hope to be)? Why bother spending so much time producing and releasing such a wonderful game when nobody buys it?? Think it's time to follow Sega and go 3rd party (or perhaps even 2nd party - either Sony or MS will do for me! ..Maybe rebrand and release Xbox One in Japan for MS...)

I'm a massive Nintendo fanboy and proud of it, but aren't short-sighted enough to see things are looking grim for them! 3DS is selling like hot cakes, but honestly for how much longer? Faced against the phone & tablet market if I were Nin I'd consider even the 3DS as the last handheld... game sales are where the money is made after all...

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's sort of the thing - the 3DS was only saved because of their quick, decisive action at the very beginning. It only took Nintendo a few months to cut the price $80. The Wii U's in a very different situation. It's been floundering for over a year now while the competition has come out the gate swinging; it's already been outsold in some territories (like the UK). Building momentum from here on out is only going to get harder and harder.

Nintendo exclusives will sell the system to Nintendo fans, but as we saw with the Gamecube and the N64, that's just not enough. I don't think Nintendo is going to collapse from the Wii U alone (they've got their handheld division and a decent sized war chest to keep them afloat), but it's still a bad situation for them no matter what.

I can only speak for myself, but it's not that I want Nintendo to fail; I just don't want the Wii U to succeed. I don't think it's a very good console, and I hope a shellacking this generation will encourage Nintendo to come up with something better for the next one.

Reactions: GameWinner

T Link7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I wasn't aware you could see into the future? :P Sure, it'll never reach even a fraction of Wii levels of succes, but I highly doubt the sales are like ''hemorrhaging money''. When the Wii U was first released, Nintendo said that they made a profit on a Wii U sold, if the buyer of said console also bought a first-party video game. Now that the price has been lowered, it is probably more akin to two or maybe even three first-party games. And I'm fairly certain most people buy more than two or three games for their console. Therefore, I think they'll sell enough to make a profit (and selling enough consoles to make a profit is, in my eyes, a reasonable amount of consoles sold).

For the record, I'm not saying it's okay that the Wii U is doing so bad. Its situation is terrible and (was?) very similar to the 3DS' troubles (I hoped Nintendo had learned from that, but alas...). I was just saying that Nintendo isn't immediately doomed because its console isn't performing optimally. The reason for this being, obviously, the sales of the company's handheld, which are excellent. They'll probably let the 3DS sustain the Wii U for the time being, because if they pull support from the console too soon, consumer trust will be hurt. However, like you said, they will obviously not let it kill the company. If it's still not doing well in a few years (which I highly doubt), they'll stop supporting the console.

Blazer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo's going to discontinue the Wii U? rofl. Please. Nintendo's going to keep pushing it with new games until it works. It might not be the most profitable, dominating system, but Nintendo's not going to shut down and go 3rd-party just because their sales aren't super high. lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://doublepulsar.com/recall-stealing-everything-youve-ever-typed-or-viewed-on-your-own-window...