Hacking What to do with Dev mode on xbone

ando2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi folks, just looking for some advice please.

Recently got a free devmode code for the Xbox one (thanks pickle_rick)

I'm just curious about what to do next, confident about putting the Xbox into Dev mode but when I'm in there how can I make sure I get a decent experience?

Are PS2 ROMs playable?

Is the PS1 emulator reliable to play the likes of crash bash?

Does it matter what region I download the ROMs?

I have happychick apk on my phone which can handle decent arcade games, as well as coin-ops on an old original Xbox... will the Xboxone be able to play the same sorta games as well?

It's my understanding that more access for Devs is being granted in the "fall update" am I better holding off entering devmode until then??

Any help or advice on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Reactions: jamespoo

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. If you're looking for homebrew/emulators for Dev Mode you can download ProjectPegasus here. It contains every major release thus far
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/releases/download/v1.0_stable/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

2. No PS2 games are not playable yet, as there is no current PS2 Emulator for UWP

3. No it shouldn't matter what region the roms are.

4. Android APK's no but if it was re-compiled for UWP then yes.

5. It won't make any difference if you get it now or after the update. Honestly the only improvement you're gonna see after the fall update is better performance of the PS1 Emulator that RetriX uses.

Last edited by wiired24,

ando2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
1. If you're looking for homebrew/emulators for Dev Mode you can download ProjectPegasus here. It contains every major release thus far
https://github.com/wiired24/ProjectPegasus/releases/download/v1.0_stable/ProjectPegasusSetup.exe

2. No PS2 games are not playable yet, as there is no current PS2 Emulator for UWP

3. No it shouldn't matter what region the roms are.

4. Android APK's no but if it was re-compiled for UWP then yes.

5. It won't make any difference if you get it now or after the update. Honestly the only improvement you're gonna see after the fall update is better performance of the PS1 Emulator that RetriX uses.

Thank you for the advice, I'll check out the link you provided I looked at some of your YouTube videos, seemed some crash bandicoot videos/ Mario on GBA videos were unstable... Question wasn't would the apk I have on android work... Was rather weather the games would play as flawless on the Xbox as they do on my phone.... Thanks

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice, I'll check out the link you provided I looked at some of your YouTube videos, seemed some crash bandicoot videos/ Mario on GBA videos were unstable... Question wasn't would the apk I have on android work... Was rather weather the games would play as flawless on the Xbox as they do on my phone.... Thanks

No. Dev Mode only allows you to sideload Universal Windows Platform .APPX Packages. There is currently no way to sideload an Android .APK Package

ando2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No. Dev Mode only allows you to sideload Universal Windows Platform .APPX Packages. There is currently no way to sideload an Android .APK Package
Thanks mate, I gathered that! ( Be sweet if the Xbox could play apks tho lol) my question was ... Will the performance of emulation of arcade games on the Xbox match that of coins-ops or the happy chick app? I can play smoothly on both my phone and original xbox... Was wondering weather Xboxone was at that standard with current tools available.... Tho I understand that with the fall update things(namely ps emulation) should get better.... Thanks for the support dude!

Reactions: wiired24

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks mate, I gathered that! ( Be sweet if the Xbox could play apks tho lol) my question was ... Will the performance of emulation of arcade games on the Xbox match that of coins-ops or the happy chick app? I can play smoothly on both my phone and original xbox... Was wondering weather Xboxone was at that standard with current tools available.... Tho I understand that with the fall update things(namely ps emulation) should get better.... Thanks for the support dude!

Performance wise it's hard to say really. The best the Xbox One can do right now in terms to emulation is PPSSPP which does run fairly well thanks to it having Dynarec (Something that is being worked on for the "BeetlePSX PS1" Emulator core that RetriX uses. I mean Dev Mode is totally worth it espeically now that you can get it for free. You have access to well over 18 Different systems between NES,SNES,GB,GBC,CHIP8,PSP,N64,FBA,PS1,GBA, and the list goes on and on. And if Homebrew games are something your into we have that too haha

Reactions: ando2011

ando2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Performance wise it's hard to say really. The best the Xbox One can do right now in terms to emulation is PPSSPP which does run fairly well thanks to it having Dynarec (Something that is being worked on for the "BeetlePSX PS1" Emulator core that RetriX uses. I mean Dev Mode is totally worth it espeically now that you can get it for free. You have access to well over 18 Different systems between NES,SNES,GB,GBC,CHIP8,PSP,N64,FBA,PS1,GBA, and the list goes on and on. And if Homebrew games are something your into we have that too haha
Thanks again for the info, I guess I'm just weighing up the emulation on the xboxone Vs the performance I have on the original xbox. If I put Dev mode on the console, do I loose anything?? Game saves? Game downloads? Is it easy to switch back and forth between retail and Dev? Sorry for all the noob questions

wiired24

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks again for the info, I guess I'm just weighing up the emulation on the xboxone Vs the performance I have on the original xbox. If I put Dev mode on the console, do I loose anything?? Game saves? Game downloads? Is it easy to switch back and forth between retail and Dev? Sorry for all the noob questions

You won't lose anything at all. When you are leaving Dev mode to switch back to Retail Mode (Which is a very easy and fast process btw) just make sure when asked if you want to delete sideloaded apps that you deselect the checkbox. You don't wanna delete your emulators and homebrew.All of your retail games will still function just as they did before and again you won't lose anything at all

Reactions: ando2011

ando2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You won't lose anything at all. When you are leaving Dev mode to switch back to Retail Mode (Which is a very easy and fast process btw) just make sure when asked if you want to delete sideloaded apps that you deselect the checkbox. You don't wanna delete your emulators and homebrew.All of your retail games will still function just as they did before and again you won't lose anything at all

Thats good news lol.....
Thanks

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!