Gaming What to do about bad DS Lite shoulder buttons?

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had shoulder button issues with my DS Lite on and off for a few years now and now they've just given up completely. I just found out Nintendo doesn't repair them any more, so it's up to me I guess. The only question is, what do I do? Does anyone even make replacement parts for the triggers, or is the only way to actually disassemble the button mechanisms and risk losing tiny irreplaceable parts?

I mean...I guess the only other option besides attempting repair is buying another DS Lite.

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are the easiest part to replace: Just remove the back and replace them. I don't think you will find the shoulder buttons alone, you will have to buy a whole cover. They are pretty cheap though, shouldn't go above ten bucks.

EDIT: you can also just replace the springs.

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are the easiest part to replace: Just remove the back and replace them. I don't think you will find the shoulder buttons alone, you will have to buy a whole cover. They are pretty cheap though, shouldn't go above ten bucks.

EDIT: you can also just replace the springs.

The springs seems to be fine, as are the plastic triggers themselves, but there's no response no matter how hard I pull on the triggers. That leads me to think the actual internal mechanism is bad, and the only way I know of to fix it is to open up the little switches and repair these incredibly tiny metal disks that make up the switch mechanism.

D

Deleted-236924

OP gave off a strong impression of really not being sure about how to open them and fix them, therefore me linking to the guide that shows everything about how relatively easy of a fix it is to make.

You don't risk losing any parts unless you really don't bother taking the minimal precautions required to just, you know, not put the small parts in risky places. Put them in a bowl or something if you're afraid of knocking the pieces off your desk, and I guess you can glue down the bowl if you're afraid of accidentally knocking that off the table too.

On a more serious note though, I guess the main risk here in potentially losing those parts is if you're doing the repair on your computer desk near your keyboard. Just gotta keep it in mind so the disk and rubber button don't fall off into the keyboard ;p

KipMudz's guide doesn't really show this off but gaining access to that part of the board is really easy and you don't really risk breaking any components off the board (no ribbon cables or anything like that attached to bottom shell, etc.)
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+DS+Lite+Trigger+Buttons+Replacement/4757

Also if you -did- lose those pieces for whatever reason, DealExtreme has replacements for like $2 at best. No soldering required, you can just open the replacement switches the same way you would the ones on the board and take their metal disks/rubber switches haha; unless you legitimately broke the switches off your board, in which case you'd need to get new ones soldered on (to be fair though, you wouldn't lose much if that happened anyway, since your shoulder buttons already don't work, so it's worth trying.)

Rokku

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Knowing I can buy new switch assemblies if I lose the metal disks certainly makes me feel more confident. I guess I'll have to find my tri-wing and give it a shot then.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up